Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 17:18   #31
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
I have a PC hooked up to Hathway Broadband, Pls suggest what wireless router to buy to connect my laptop as well. I was quoted Netgear for 2300 and Linksys for 2500 rs. (not sure of the model numbers)
@2theMax, my Linksys Wireless-G, 54 Mbps Broadband Router model: WRT54G cost me Rs. 2,800 in Mumbai. I am very happy with its performance.
Its range is such that I can also use my laptop on the road outside my house.

Warm regards
Ram
Old 30th April 2008, 14:02   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Sumit - I found a forum where are there are some instructions

UTStarcom WA3002g4 and nokia wifi phones. - Page 2 - India Broadband Forum

I am going to try it out in the evening.

I hope Editing the 0-35 thingy won't disrupt my existing desktop connection.
What the hell is Igmp & QoS, by the way.
OK - Everything was working fine for 2 months. I had the Type 4 Modem Configured fine. Was able to connect through ethernet for my desktop & also through my laptop using wireless. Something happened yesterday & since yesterday, my laptop always says "No wireless networks in the vicinity". The WLAN light on the modem is on. I have done any configuration changes. Was working day before yesterday night, but from yesterday morning, my laptop isn't able to detect wireless. Desktop still connects fine.

Sumit/Others - Any idea what could have gone wrong? How difficult would
it be to get help from BSNL for this?

I have type 4 WA3002G4 modem purchased from BSNL.

How do I troubleshoot this?
Old 30th April 2008, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Does the wireless light on the modem blink? Modems provided by BSNL are prone to screw ups when there is a voltage fluctuation. If your modem is not very old and is on rent from BSNL (as in under 1 year) then take it to the NIB node of your city. Explain the whole problem to them. Tell them that the WiFi was working one moment and stopped working the next. They will test it and if a problem is found, they will replace it. However, if the modem is bought by you from BSNL and there is a problem, then you will have to dump it.

To test the modem, the best thing to do would be to reset it. Look up the documentation that came with it to see where the reset button is located. Reset it and then check your laptop if the WiFi network is detected. If it is, then the settings on the NVRAM has gone corrupt due to voltage fluctuations. Simple reconfigure and you will be good to go.

I hope I made myself clear. Get back if you need any clarification.
Old 1st May 2008, 12:10   #34
BHPian

Carboy, I was anticipating some feedback. Did it work?
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:26   #35
BHPian

For people using the Siemens Modem given with the Type 4 connection in BSNL this link might help for an initial setup.

Snapshots (Source : indiabroadband.net)

As for support from BSNL, everything is good as long as it works. The moment it stops working, do not bother calling them also, unless there is the "right" number to call which someone can highlight.
Old 5th May 2008, 10:51   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Does the wireless light on the modem blink?
Yes.

Quote:
Modems provided by BSNL are prone to screw ups when there is a voltage fluctuation. If your modem is not very old and is on rent from BSNL (as in under 1 year) then take it to the NIB node of your city. Explain the whole problem to them. Tell them that the WiFi was working one moment and stopped working the next. They will test it and if a problem is found, they will replace it. However, if the modem is bought by you from BSNL and there is a problem, then you will have to dump it.
I purchased it from BSNL - isn't there any warranty for it? It's hardly a month old. If I have to dump & purchase a new one - which would be the best one to purchase? How much will it cost.
Quote:
To test the modem, the best thing to do would be to reset it. Look up the documentation that came with it to see where the reset button is located. Reset it and then check your laptop if the WiFi network is detected. If it is, then the settings on the NVRAM has gone corrupt due to voltage fluctuations. Simple reconfigure and you will be good to go.

I hope I made myself clear. Get back if you need any clarification.
Quote:
Carboy, I was anticipating some feedback. Did it work?
Sumit - sorry - was away for a few days. I will test it out today.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:27   #37
BHPian

Carboy, if the modem is 1 month old, take it along with the demand note and receipt (for the modem) to the NIB node and request them, you may be lucky and they will replace it for you. First just try to reset the modem and try, maybe it works.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:40   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Carboy, if the modem is 1 month old, take it along with the demand note and receipt (for the modem) to the NIB node and request them, you may be lucky and they will replace it for you. First just try to reset the modem and try, maybe it works.
I couldn't find any reset button.
They never gave me a user manual - just a quick start guide.
And how do I find the NIB node?

Last edited by carboy : 6th May 2008 at 11:42.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:36   #39
BHPian

Okay Carboy, I looked up and came up with this from a site
/quote
go to ur web browser after u have connected your modem...

type
192.168.1.1 and press enter

enter the username and password

admin
admin

then go to management and select "restore defaults"

ur done with it!

njoy..lol.
quote/
Configuring UTSTARCOM WA3002G4 - Page 2

So thats what you need to do for a factory reset for your modem.

For the NIB, you can call your local telephone exchange and inquire about its location.

OT: Next time, don't go for a BSNL modem. They don't provide any support.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:27   #40
BANNED

Ok - now I really feel stupid. There was nothing wrong with the modem.
My laptop has a tiny little switch which disables wireless. Somehow I had turned it off.
Everything's working fine after I turned it on again.

Couple of Q's for you, Sumit.
1) You said BSNL modems are sensitive to voltage fluctuations? Is there
any cheap voltage regulator which would help here. Do one of those strips
with a built-in voltage regulator help? Any good brands?

2) Next time, I buy a modem (with both Ethernet & Wireless) - i.e not from BSNL - what's a good brand to buy - how much would it cost?

Tx in advance.
Old 7th May 2008, 21:45   #41
BHPian

1. BSNL modems are very prone to voltage fluctuations and are more Bhagwaan Bharose than anything else. You can connect the modem to a good ups if you want and it will help you to a certain extent.

2. Depends on your preference. If I had to get a modem for WiFi and Ethernet, I would get a cheap modem and a Buffalo wireless router (WiFi + 4 Ethernet Ports) and connect them to a good power source. Cost about 4000 for both.
Old 7th May 2008, 22:29   #42
BANNED

Quote:
1. BSNL modems are very prone to voltage fluctuations and are more Bhagwaan Bharose than anything else. You can connect the modem to a good ups if you want and it will help you to a certain extent.
I said cheap solution :-)

Quote:
2. Depends on your preference. If I had to get a modem for WiFi and Ethernet, I would get a cheap modem and a Buffalo wireless router (WiFi + 4 Ethernet Ports) and connect them to a good power source. Cost about 4000 for both.
The BSNL modem cost 1800 Rs.
4000 seems rather steep compared to it. Wireless router + cheap modem buys me nothing extra for that. Isn't there any other good brand of Modem available which includes Wireless at some in between price point?
Old 7th May 2008, 22:35   #43
BHPian

There is one Netgear model DG834 which is a ADSL modem with WiFi and 4 Ethernet ports. It should be available for around 2100 I guess. It should be better than a BSNL modem in all respects (voltage sensitivity, WiFi range, etc.)
Old 17th May 2008, 18:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Pained with my cable modem, I am now planning on getting the BSNL EVDO connection. But I guess the National roaming is still not activated for the same. Junta has any idea when the same could be implemented ? If not, then is surrendering the modem the only option ? Or can I carry it to some other state and get a new number ?

Thanks in advance,
F'header
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:29   #45
BHPian

My friend loaned his BSNL - WA3002g4 modem to me. I'm trying to use it with my Airtel broadband connection but i'm not able to make it work.

I connected my laptop to this modem using the Lan cable but the laptop is not detecting the connection. The lights at the back of the modem (above the ports) are on always (not blinking) when i switch on the power button but nothing happens after that.

The modem was in use till the day it was with my friend and it's hardly 3 months old. Has anyone faced this problem? Do you think this can be fixed? It doesn't seem to have any reset buttons nor i have the manuals to troubleshoot.

thanks for any advice

Most Viewed