Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 20:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Does anybody know how to manage the memory cosumption on the browsers, i have noticed the same in firefox ( and i think opera, k-melon) too. My office laptop runs on 256 MB of memory, and it's very important to keep memory usage low.
Hi Vivek, in FireFox you can use "about:config" in the location bar & tweak the cache parameters. For example, "about:cache?device=memory" in the location bar will list the current contents of your cache.
Search for "browser.cache.memory.capacity" & "config.trim_on_minimize" in the Mozilla KB for ideal settings for your memory configuration.
But to be honest, for me at least, these settings didn't bring about a drastic reduction in memory usage. I finally succumbed & upgraded to 1 GB
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:17   #17
BHPian

For all the mozilla fans, I have dumped it in favour of IE8 Beta 1. I was a fan of FF for a long time until they went really bad with their memory leak issues. After some time, it can go beyond control where it just stops responding and you can't do anything about it. I am currently using IE8 on my office production box with more than 25 tabs open simultaneously and it never had an issue. If it crashes for any reason, you reopen it and get back all the windows with their history. Website rendering is faster than IE7 and so is startup time. It is not yet fully compatible with all the website (occasional issues with Gmail initially, but not anymore), but then it has got the IE7 compatibility mode.So my recommendation is to get IE 8, even if it is beta stages. You won't regret it.

BTW, i am currently writing this from IE7 on Windows 2008. Is there any known issues with vBulletin or team-bhp not working well on IE7, because I can't use the advanced compose mode correctly. Has anyone seen this issue on Vista x64 IE7 or XP x64 IE7.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2008 at 21:58. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its probably some virus that is causing this. Except flash, dont install anything.

Firefox is very secure unless and untilll you do something horrible.

In other thread I have posted how to configure Mozilla Firefox for broadband.
Yes, by default Firefox is configured for Dialup and not broadband.

IE7 gave me realiability issues and IE6 is quite weak as far as security is concerned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks