Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 03:29   #1
BHPian

Windows reinstalled and few problems

Hi guys.

Well, this was my first re-install of an OS.
Laptop is a june 2007 make Dell Vostro 1000. Was running XP professional when I got it from brother in US.
Original CD that came from it and the product key sticker on the underside of the laptop, both indicated that XP home was infact the operating system to be used in this case.
Anyways, as things have it, dont know what stuck me, but I decided to re-install the OS myself.
C: of 40gb. D: of 60gb. Total = 100GB.

During installation, I prompted the installer to install in C: only and delete the previous windows.
After installation was completed sucessfully, I inserted the drivers CD and installed whatever drivers it contained i.e. pretty much ALL of them.

Problems being faced now:-
  • Display looks pretty bland. 1024x768 resolution is selected @ 32bit colours.
  • NO quick launch area. I miss the "Show Desktop" button a LOT now.
  • Windows update site indicates 85mb or so to be downloaded to complete updates. So, this much files we will need to download? Or excessive/bloatware?
  • The power indicator LED used to light up everytime I plugged in the power cable. It does NOT light up now

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 19th March 2008 at 03:39.
Old 19th March 2008, 06:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
  • Windows update site indicates 85mb or so to be downloaded to complete updates. So, this much files we will need to download? Or excessive/bloatware?
  • The power indicator LED used to light up everytime I plugged in the power cable. It does NOT light up now
1. Right click on a blank part of the desktop > properties > settings > and then slide the "screen resolution" slider to the maximum you can. Click OK.

2. Right click on the taskbar > toolbars > quicklaunch

3. Yes, those are all the changes that have been made by MS since the time your installation CD was made. If 85mb is too much, try downloading/installing only the critical updates, and then others which sound important / like they make a difference.

4. Might be a driver(specific to your laptop model) issue ?

cya
R
Old 19th March 2008, 09:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan is spot on, try re installing the power management driver and restart, things should be fine regarding point 4.
Old 19th March 2008, 13:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

You must install the MS patches. It will not take much time if you have a broadband as most of the MS sites are mirrored across the globe. Even if you have an AV product, you should do it.

Do a custom install for the patches. IE 7 would be one of the items if I remember correctly. You can install that for later, so remove it. The others are needed.
Old 19th March 2008, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This means the Dell specific display drivers (for the grafix card etc) are missing. Go to the Dell support site - it will pick up your Device serial number or whatever, and then show you list of updated drivers available for your laptop.

Alternately, the display drivers is probably included in the 85 MB odd updates that MS is trying to download on your laptop. I think you can verify this by checking the list of updates that its trying to download. Microsoft works in strange ways.. you know

Quote:
Right Click on the Task Bar (i.e the blue bar which has the Start Button on the left) and then select Properties. You should see an option to "Show Quick Launch"
Old 19th March 2008, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just to be sure can you also right-click the "My computer" -> click properties and see which version of Service pack is applied, 1 or 2 ??

Also do not use the "Automatic Updates" service, go directly to "update.microsoft.com" and select only critical updates to be installed. That will reduce the load.

Last edited by dadu : 19th March 2008 at 14:07.
Old 21st March 2008, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Much thanks to everyone
System is up and running fine.

Appreciate the help guys. Thank you all. :-)
Old 21st March 2008, 17:43   #8
RAC
BHPian

Just moved to this thread from the windshield thread and saw this and thought - what, another window
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I miss the "Show Desktop" button a LOT now.
Forgot to mention, the same thing can be done with one of my most used keystrokes : WindowsKey + d

cya
R

Most Viewed