Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Converting AVI movies for DVD player

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of good AVI movies that I need to convert into a format playable by my DVD player.

Any ideas\pointers?

Any software available for that?

I have a DVD writer on my comp so I just need a player and the method to follow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd March 2008, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do you want 1 movie per DVD (like movie DVDs) or more?

1. First check what all formats your DVD player supports (DIVX, mpeg4, etc.)
2. The 'roadside' DVD method (multiple DVD movies, highly compressed, low-to-moderate quality, DVD menu) requires software such as Nero, SuperDVD or such. You supply the content and the menu, the software burns the DVD
3. Based on what your player supports, use a video format converter to compress the files based on your requirements. Some players support file playback, in which case you just need to compress retaining AVI format
4. There are many such software available as freeware / shareware. Your DVD writer would / should have Nero or similar writer software. If not, browse the net and you will find many
Old 22nd March 2008, 20:28   #3
BHPian

@Proxima, Generally you cannot convert the avi movies into some other format by keeping it of the same size, which is about 700 MB per movie appx. So if you want to convert 1 movie onto the DVD and then watch it on your DVD player, there are softwares for that. But if you want to burn 5 or 6 avi movies onto a DVD and then play it on to the dvd player, that cannot be done, because in this situation, you will have to burn the 5-6 movies onto 1 DVD in data format and the DVD players don't play data DVD's. So please tell us what exactly are your requirements and then we can help you out further.

Regards.
Racingmachine.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Do you want 1 movie per DVD (like movie DVDs) or more?

1. First check what all formats your DVD player supports (DIVX, mpeg4, etc.)
2. The 'roadside' DVD method (multiple DVD movies, highly compressed, low-to-moderate quality, DVD menu) requires software such as Nero, SuperDVD or such. You supply the content and the menu, the software burns the DVD
3. Based on what your player supports, use a video format converter to compress the files based on your requirements. Some players support file playback, in which case you just need to compress retaining AVI format
4. There are many such software available as freeware / shareware. Your DVD writer would / should have Nero or similar writer software. If not, browse the net and you will find many
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
@Proxima, Generally you cannot convert the avi movies into some other format by keeping it of the same size, which is about 700 MB per movie appx. So if you want to convert 1 movie onto the DVD and then watch it on your DVD player, there are softwares for that. But if you want to burn 5 or 6 avi movies onto a DVD and then play it on to the dvd player, that cannot be done, because in this situation, you will have to burn the 5-6 movies onto 1 DVD in data format and the DVD players don't play data DVD's. So please tell us what exactly are your requirements and then we can help you out further.

Regards.
Racingmachine.

Thanks for the reply guys. I want to burn only 1 movie per DVD. Menus are not required.

Can you guide me to some freeware that you know\ have used?

My DVD player is old and it cannot play mpeg4 and DIVX.
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:14   #5
BHPian

Guys, I have a problem.

A AVI movie which is 700 MB, when I try and burn it using Power Producer from Cyberlink, becomes more than 4.7GB, which I cannot burn on my 4.7 GB DVD. How do I go about doing it?
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:16   #6
BHPian

Hope this helps--->

Basic Guide How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD | Articles - (DivX/XviD) Digital Digest
Old 23rd March 2008, 20:40   #7
BHPian

Try SUPER
SUPER © .

This is a freeware and can convert almost any video format to any other format. There are presets for VCDs and DVDs. This should do it for you.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

You can also try mediacoder MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder. Its free too and have more options than SUPER

You should also try AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD one of the best softwares but paid!
Old 24th March 2008, 12:54   #9
BHPian

DVD conversion

Use DVD Flick to convert other formats to .dvd format. (DVD Flick)
Once converted you can use any burning software to burn the DVD files.

Its open source free ware , Very simple to use.

You can burn either 1 movie per DVD or multiple movies per DVD, it supports both options.
However the size of the movies will determine how many you can burn.

Ps: On the Piracy front, Usage of DVD Flick is not what determines it, rather whether you have legally purchased the content that you are burning or not.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:15   #10
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the help. I am using CyberLink DVD suite which is very easy friendly. Had it on my comp.

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between 4:3 and 16:9? I tried burning "The Sting" which is an AVI file which plays on my PC as a widescreen movie. I have a ViewSonic 19 inch screen. I tried burning it on 16:9 format but when I play it on the DVD player, it seems to be a 4:3. (No black gap on top and below, also the screen seems to be cut to fit the screen) I tried 2 times with 2 blank DVDs. Same result.

Also, it takes a loooooooooong time to burn a DVD. Is this normal? I have a dual core, decent config comp.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Guys,

I have another problem. My DVD Player supports DivX and XVid Compression. When I burn an DivX or XVid format AVI file onto a Data CD it plays the movie without any problem. But when I burn multiple such AVI files on a Data DVD, the player is not able to play them. Can you suggest some solution? I don't want to convert all those files into DVD format.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

I use an open source software called DVD flick
DVD Flick
Its fairly intutive.
However if your player supports divX etc., get the divX converter.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, I have a problem.

A AVI movie which is 700 MB, when I try and burn it using Power Producer from Cyberlink, becomes more than 4.7GB, which I cannot burn on my 4.7 GB DVD. How do I go about doing it?
compile your movie irrespective of size & use DVD shrink to shrink it to your preferred size.
Old 25th March 2008, 10:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I am using CyberLink DVD suite which is very easy friendly. Had it on my comp.

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between 4:3 and 16:9? I tried burning "The Sting" which is an AVI file which plays on my PC as a widescreen movie. I have a ViewSonic 19 inch screen. I tried burning it on 16:9 format but when I play it on the DVD player, it seems to be a 4:3. (No black gap on top and below, also the screen seems to be cut to fit the screen) I tried 2 times with 2 blank DVDs. Same result.

Also, it takes a loooooooooong time to burn a DVD. Is this normal? I have a dual core, decent config comp.
Guys, please help.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:21   #15
BHPian

Need VCD ripper

I have few Nursery rhyme VCD's for my Kid. One of his friend also wants the same and they fight with each other . I tried in the market but VCD's were not available as I brought it from US. I was trying to find good VCD ripper which can make a copy of the VCD and can be seen on normal VCD/DVD player. I tried super, tools from Videohelp.com but it does not work completly. Help needed on the same otherwise one day those VCD would be ripped apart by kids

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks