Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

CPU Keychain

Hi fellow geeks.

I have a roasted Celeron 2.4 GHz which i got from an old Acer laptop. (I put a P4 in the laptop ) I intend to make this roast chip in to a key chain and for this i need your ideas and suggestions.

The problem is that this one is a ceramic board CPU so drilling a hole in it is a major trouble even with a diamond bit. So what are the alternative ways to make this into a key chain? I thought about gluing the processor on to a leather key fob.. but then the processor would be visible only from the top.

or has anyone drilled through a ceramic board? If yes guide me.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:36   #2
BHPian

How-to Make a CPU Keychain - Overclockers Club

Have a look. :-)

I quote from the 2nd page of the article.

"Remember, those CPU�s with ceramic PCB�s will crack if drilled too quickly, and also a diamond tip drill bit is required. If you got silicon PCB CPU, any ordinary drill bit will to through it like butter."

Last edited by SumitB : 22nd March 2008 at 22:39.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:50   #3
BHPian

Go to a dentist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

"Remember, those CPU�s with ceramic PCB�s will crack if drilled too quickly, and also a diamond tip drill bit is required. If you got silicon PCB CPU, any ordinary drill bit will to through it like butter."
I am a Orthodontist by profession and making holes in ceramics without cracking it is part of our job. Head over to your dentist and ask him to drill a hole in the cpu with a dental air rotor hand piece with a diamond bur. It should not take more than 2 minutes under water spray. If our diamond burs can drill your enamel; drilling ceramics is a piece of cake. Ask him to use a new bur though.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

I've visited that site before Sumit, but thanks anyways
I knew that it could be done with a diamond tipped bit but was hoping someone must've done that and could provide me with some tips as in the Indian scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am a Orthodontist by profession and making holes in ceramics without cracking it is part of our job. Head over to your dentist and ask him to drill a hole in the cpu with a dental air rotor hand piece with a diamond bur. It should not take more than 2 minutes under water spray. If our diamond burs can drill your enamel; drilling ceramics is a piece of cake. Ask him to use a new bur though.

Brilliant!! Now were can i find a dentist who's willing to do this for me. And how much does a new diamond bur cost? Maybe i can buy one and present him with the bit and the cpu! I have better chance this way

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2008 at 00:49.
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Brilliant!! Now were can i find a dentist who's willing to do this for me. And how much does a new diamond bur cost? Maybe i can buy one and present him with the bit and the cpu! I have better chance this way
A new diamond bur costs between 35 to 80 rupees. With the dollar fluctuating like mad the price of the burs are also on a roller cost ride.
Old 23rd March 2008, 00:33   #6
BHPian

One of my friends is a dentist, will check with him and let you know if he can do this for you!
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Cool idea drpullockaran

Quote:
And how much does a new diamond bur cost? Maybe i can buy one and present him with the bit and the cpu! I have better chance this way
Wouldnt it make sense to just buy a diamond bit for a regular drill in that case? (assuming the cost is about the same?)

Quote:
or has anyone drilled through a ceramic board? If yes guide me.
I haven't ever drilled through a ceramic board, but i have drilled through a huge variety of very very hard materials, and sometimes the "brute force" approach, if done sensibly and patiently does work - even if youre using a HSS drill bit (which you might need multiple of / will have to throw away after ).

Drill in short pushes and if the progress is slow take a few breaks so that you dont overheat the bit.

cya
R
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:27   #8
BHPian

An alternative way to make it a key chain would be to sandwich it in between plastic and drill the hole in the plastic Stupid idea but it might just look good
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
One of my friends is a dentist, will check with him and let you know if he can do this for you!
I'm at Trivandrum Gopz Shifted here some time back. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Cool idea drpullockaran

Wouldnt it make sense to just buy a diamond bit for a regular drill in that case? (assuming the cost is about the same?)

I haven't ever drilled through a ceramic board, but i have drilled through a huge variety of very very hard materials, and sometimes the "brute force" approach, if done sensibly and patiently does work - even if youre using a HSS drill bit (which you might need multiple of / will have to throw away after ).

Drill in short pushes and if the progress is slow take a few breaks so that you dont overheat the bit.

cya
R
I've read in some overclocker forums that even with a diamond bit drilling through these ceramic PCBs are a PITA. I've read that these drilling experiences were taking 4 to 5 hours even with a press. And some have stories to say abot their Titanium bits getting blunt etc etc. And if this is not done correctly the pcb would break.

I think what we need here to drill through ceramic is speed rather than brute force. High speed with not very excessive pressure would give positive results than going with low speed and brute force.

And i 'think' (from experience of the thing whirring away inside my mouth) that dentists drills are a lot more faster than the regular drills. A high speed dremel tool would also work fine me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
An alternative way to make it a key chain would be to sandwich it in between plastic and drill the hole in the plastic Stupid idea but it might just look good
I thought about that.. but then it'll make this too big for my liking.
Old 23rd March 2008, 22:18   #10
BHPian

The diamond bit needs water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Cool idea drpullockaran

R
No, the diamond bit in your dentists drill rotates at about 3.5 to 4 lakh rated rpm( your normal mechanical drill rotates at about 25000rpm which is too slow to cut through ceramic since you need high speed with very low pressure). At these speeds(400000rpm) the bit cuts through ceramic like a knife through cold butter. Should be able to drill through the chip in about 15sec to 2 minutes and not more with a new bur. The downside of these high speeds is that water cooling jet is a must otherwise the steel that holds the diamond bits would fracture in no time due to extreme temps achieved.
At the expense of a bur ask your dentist to cut water supply for about 2 seconds when drilling ceramic and you can see the drill bit becoming red hot and more than enough to start a fire. In my training days I have roasted/toasted/set on fire a few cadaver teeth due to improper water jetting.
High Speed Air Turbine Handpieces for cutting porcelain & gold
NSK-NAKANISHI official web site

Last edited by drpullockaran : 23rd March 2008 at 22:25.
Old 24th March 2008, 00:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....I've read in some overclocker forums that even with a diamond bit drilling through these ceramic PCBs are a PITA. I've read that these drilling experiences were taking 4 to 5 hours even with a press.
Wow. That sounds pretty extreme!
I wonder if that is just due to bad technique, where most of the damage is already done to the bit in the first minute of drilling, resulting in the next so many mins/hours of drilling with an absolutely dull bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
No, the diamond bit in your dentists drill rotates at about 3.5 to 4 lakh rated rpm.....
I totally agree with Sankar and your point about needing the high speed.

So interesting to see a dentistry being applied to a techie DIY project on an auto forum. Team-BHP

cya
R
Old 24th March 2008, 00:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Do you have to make a keychain out of the processor only. I can get you any other chip which will be far easier to drill. There are so many fail chips lying with me.

Also, we don't drill to make a hole we pour acid or use a laser beam.
Old 24th March 2008, 00:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Doctor i never knew that dentists drill were spinning at around 300000rpm. I thought it would be in the region of 30 to 40 k rpm. How do you power the air turbine drills? What kind of compressor do you have to run these drills and is it a part of the chair?

Rehaan i think the problem was that low speed drills they used. And they must've changed the bits as they become blunt.

Vid I don't think any other chip would look as cool as a quad core or a core 2 duo chip on a key chain

Laser beam technique sounds cool. But i don't have access to it. Btw which acid do you use and how? Does it work on ceramic pcb?
Old 24th March 2008, 07:29   #14
BHPian

Dental compressor.

Quote:
Wow! Doctor i never knew that dentists drill were spinning at around 300000rpm. I thought it would be in the region of 30 to 40 k rpm. How do you power the air turbine drills? What kind of compressor do you have to run these drills and is it a part of the chair?
300000rpm is the base minimum speed of the turbine cartridge as lower speeds tend to be irritating to the patient and 400000 is the norm. We have an auxiliary compressor in another room as they tend to be a bit noisy in the clinic environment. We try to keep noise down to a minimum; allowing for some soothing music because even the strongest of men turn out to be pussycats when on a dental chair(In my personal experience the bigger they are built the bigger pussies they turn out to be on a dental chair). They compress air to about 7to 8 bar. It is then regulated and fed to the turbine at 2.75 bar through an air pipe and an auxiliary water pipe to keep the turbine and the diamond bit cool. The bearings in the turbine are usually made of ceramic for longevity. The compressors are run using a 1HP to 2HP motor and have a tank capacity from 30 to 100liters depending on the number of chairs in the clinic.
Dental Oilless Air Compressor
Oil Free Dental Compressor
Dental Compressors and Vacuums by Tech West

Last edited by drpullockaran : 24th March 2008 at 07:30.
Old 25th March 2008, 09:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information Doc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks