Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 16:45   #31
BHPian

Interesting that people don't want to mess with out of warranty cameras. over here in the US, the reluctance is always to mess with in-warranty items since that can void the warranty, but after the warranty is finished, you can do whatever you want....
Old 14th October 2008, 17:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
... latest version of picasa.. its free and the interface is awesome. try it to view raw files
Unprocessed RAW files are no eye candy,esp when compared to the associated JPEG that CHDK produces. So, if you right away open them in PICASA (ver 3 now available) , you may think your P&S to be better without CHDK.
Howerver , a processed RAW( picasa can do that) is much better than the JPEG- you will notice it.
Old 6th November 2008, 00:52   #33
BHPian

Helpful software.

Remember 2 things-

-You still need too(know how too) process the RAW files effectively.
-the firmware voids the warranty.
Old 6th November 2008, 01:14   #34
Team-BHP Support

hang 'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Interesting that people don't want to mess with out of warranty cameras. over here in the US, the reluctance is always to mess with in-warranty items since that can void the warranty, but after the warranty is finished, you can do whatever you want....
That's understandable but it's not the general trend.

The only thing under warranty that I avoid messing with is my car.

Rest of the stuff is invalid. Whereever in the world it is.

I know a couple of guys who might buy a brand new branded (Dell, HP) desktop computer.
Unpack and hook it up. Turn it On.
Then view the Terms & Conditions screen (just for geeky kicks); press "I Disagree"; get rid of Windows and install Linux on it.

All my cell-phones are always flashed right out of the box / as soon as I can get a cable, which isn't a huge problem thesedays thanks to USB!
I've even voided warranty on an older Toshiba mp3 player, when I got rid of their included Gigabeat software and installed Rockbox
Old 6th November 2008, 01:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
-the firmware voids the warranty.
Why is that?

Isnt this a 100% reversible "procedure".

cya
R
Old 6th November 2008, 01:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Why is that?

Isnt this a 100% reversible "procedure".
Well, 2 guys i know were refused warranty as the s/w used effectively altered the camera's firmware, violating some clause of warranty terms and conditions, do not remember the specific clause, something to think about for the warranty conscious clan.
It mentions that on the the s/w site too.
I buy my cams off the grey market any day!

The problem had nothing to do with the CHDK s/w though, the s/w works fine.

Last edited by gendarmee : 6th November 2008 at 01:46.
Old 6th November 2008, 01:52   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...It mentions that on the the s/w site too....
The site tells me otherwise:
(I guess its a bit of a grey area, but i think if you remove your SD card there is no way canon can tell u used CHDK!)

Quote:
Q. Does using the CHDK program void your warranty?

A. First, please bear in mind that CHDK comes with no warranty for any use; you use it at your own risk. What follows is just a few thoughts, and is not a legal opinion. Many believe that using the CHDK does not harm your warranty, since it is said to be loaded into the memory only temporarily (turn off the cam and it's gone completely) and that it leaves the original camera firmware untouched.
Canon Tech Support says: "Unfortunately, any upgrades to the software of the camera not performed by an authorized Canon Repair Facility, would void the warranty." ... and ... In further discussion with Canon about this specific hack, their response is: "If it is not Canon firmware the warranty would be void."

Is it an "upgrade" of the camera firmware when the firmware remains untouched? It's up to you to decide. Don't use it if you are not willing to take the slightest chance. Many many people have used CHDK on their cameras (including some very experimental versions) and there is no report of any permanent malfunction. Thus, CHDK appears to be quite safe to use as long as you make sure that it's the CHDK and not a real firmware update (A real firmware update which is not an official Canon update could alter or completely screw up the camera and will void the warranty). Addressing their second comment (i.e. "if it is not Canon firmware"): CHDK is NOT firmware. By very definition, FIRMware is software that remains in the memory of the device when it is not using any power-source.

However, this is not a legal opinion and the user accepts all risk of using it. And as a practical matter, if you send your camera in for warranty service, and Canon says your warranty is void because they found evidence of CHDK on your memory card, there is not much you can really do (what are you going to do? Spend thousands of dollars suing them to get your camera repaired?)

However, you can just wipe or remove the card.
Read more about this : source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th November 2008 at 01:55.
Old 6th November 2008, 01:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The site tells me otherwise:
(I guess its a bit of a grey area, but i think if you remove your SD card there is no way canon can tell u used CHDK!)
Read more about this : source
Yeah, read that. I was referring too the Canon support part, as in, In the event canon service find out, its more bucks for them.
It's happened so thought I'd put it here.

Last edited by gendarmee : 6th November 2008 at 02:01. Reason: read wrong
Old 6th November 2008, 11:10   #39
BHPian

The point is: If you wipe out chdk from the card, and Canon is unable to make out that you had used a 3rd party software, then it won't void your waranty. But if chdk leaves traces of its presence somewhere in the camera, then the warranty would be voided.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:00   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
The point is: If you wipe out chdk from the card, and Canon is unable to make out that you had used a 3rd party software, then it won't void your waranty. But if chdk leaves traces of its presence somewhere in the camera, then the warranty would be voided.
Exactly what i was wondering about / trying to clarify.

I guess the answer is here, unless canon has some really smart way of figuring out if its ever been used (assuming the card has been removed!) :

Quote:
CHDK is NOT firmware. By very definition, FIRMware is software that remains in the memory of the device when it is not using any power-source.
cya
R
Old 6th November 2008, 18:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the answer is here, unless canon has some really smart way of figuring out if its ever been used (assuming the card has been removed!)
Im not sure, if in the 2 cases i quoted, whether the memory card was removed or not.

~apparently~ Canon Seem too have worked on CHDK and this s/w is incompatible with DIGIC III processor cameras (I read some where, dont know how much its true)

Last edited by gendarmee : 6th November 2008 at 18:31.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
~apparently~ Canon Seem too have worked on CHDK and this s/w is incompatible with DIGIC III processor cameras (I read some where, dont know how much its true)
CHDK has evolved too ,buddy. Now, even digic 3 cameras are supported by CHDK, I use one on my digic 3 cam.You can look at the corresponding camera page of CHDK wiki site for the correct build that supports the camera model.
P.S. Intervelometer in chdk is one amazing thing which you may not find in some SLRs too.
Old 11th November 2008, 00:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
CHDK has evolved too ,buddy. Now, even digic 3 cameras are supported by CHDK, I use one on my digic 3 cam.You can look at the corresponding camera page of CHDK wiki site for the correct build that supports the camera model.
P.S. Intervelometer in chdk is one amazing thing which you may not find in some SLRs too.
Thats good to know. Read that a couple months ago on some photography forum.
I've been trying too keep tab on the s/w ever since i found out about it.
I am specifically looking for this option where one can lock the focus to infinity, Available on any sony/casio camera even sony ericsson phones...greatly reduces the lag and has everything in focus.
I've written to canon umpteen number of times, for a firmware upgrade that helps lock the focus to infinity, allow 30 second exposure time if possible and add exposure compensation for the video mode, but it turns out that canon does Firmware upgrades for either really old cams or really expensive cams!
Just read about the intervelometer, sounds neat.
Which canon do you have?
Old 11th November 2008, 01:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

gendarmee,

Which camera do you have?
I know that canons that i have owned in the past offer almost all of the above.

Lets take the S3-IS for example :

Quote:
1) lock the focus to infinity
2) greatly reduces the lag and has everything in focus
3) allow 30 second exposure time
4) add exposure compensation for the video mode
5) intervelometer, sounds neat.
1) can be achieved with manual focus button ("MF") in any user-mode other than "auto"

2) you can even lock the focus AND lock the exposure/use full manual mode for the least lag

3) i think 15" is the max. (This limit is probably governed by the buffer size in the camera)

4) Exists. You press a button in video mode and you get a slider to adjust exposure.

5) Exists, but not super flexible in terms of what intervals you can set - for example, 1min is the minimum.

I think almost all the above also apply to other canons, for eg. the S1 i owned before the S3 and the A70 before that (except no intervalometer in this one).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2008 at 01:06.
Old 11th November 2008, 02:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Tried it out in my S3 IS. The firmware can surely do with better documentation of the features and certainly better user interface.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks