Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 14:23   #15361
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 44
Thanked: 1,199 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
I recently switched from android to iPhone and realised few rude shocks.
I agree to most of these things mentioned here although my main gripe is more to do with usability. iOS has a simple UI but scores low on usability. For achieving basic things like sharing and printing, you have to go through multiple steps. And some things are not possible.

And the iPhone's biggest asset (face id) is also it's biggest weakness (notch). Dynamic island is only a temporary workaround, Apple should find a way to get rid of the notch altogether.

BTW, I am not new to iOS - had the 6S before buying the 13, but iPhones were always the secondary phone. And the 13 is too big for a secondary phone. If only I get to exchange it for a 12 or 13 mini.

If anybody in Delhi/Gurgaon with a 13 mini and yearning for the regular 13, give me a shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
On the payment, if it helps I used to carry one of my NFC tap and pay card under the case of the iPhone as a workaround.
Can you explain what it is and how it works with Google Pay?
dragonfire is offline  
Old 28th November 2022, 15:11   #15362
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 337 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Can you explain what it is and how it works with Google Pay?

I think what he meant was to just physically place the credit card in the case of phone, no different than carrying it in your wallet in the back pocket.

The advantage of storing it digitally in google pay is that if you loose your phone, credit card can't be misused as contactless pay works only when phone is unlocked.
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:13   #15363
BHPian
 
Turbo_anup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Delhi / Dublin
Posts: 96
Thanked: 170 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
My wife is planning to buy a new phone (she currently uses an iPhone 11). Currently considering between iPhone 13 mini vs iPhone 14.
I upgraded for a 2016 purchased Iphone 7 32 Gb to 12 mini and have do not regret. The form factor of 12 mini / 13 mini is even smaller than iphone 6 /6s /7 / 8 / SE 2 & 3 but has a larger, better pixel fidelity. A few of my friends have 13 mini and apart from all good things in 12 mini, they are happy with battery life, which is actually one of the main points of concern on my 12 mini. I have to recharge it every day in evening without fail, however in case of 13 mini, i have heard that it can comfortably make through a day and even some part of next day.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:59   #15364
Senior - BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
She is keen to get iPhone 13 mini because of the smaller size.
All reviewers say the same thing. Only buy the 13 Mini if you specifically need the small size.

Quote:
- iPhone 14 price - 61k
- iPhone 13 mini - 45k
I'd say go for the normal 13.

Quote:
Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones and can advise? Thanks in advance.
My 2 nieces are using the 12 Mini & 13. Both upgraded from the iPhone 6. I didn't find much difference in the usage experience other than the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
I recently switched from android to iPhone and realised few rude shocks.
That's normal. iOS is a few years behind Android in features.

Quote:
1. I extensively use contactless payment using google pay. Not supported on iPhones. Apple has its own solution as Apple Pay, but canít be used in India.
Google Pay works on my wife's 14 Pro Max.

Quote:
2. Life is so much easier with Truecaller to keep all spam callers at bay, however is impaired on iPhone and is of not much help!

3. No gesture for back, have to find that back on top of app.

4. Still trying to find my way around selectively disabling unwanted notifications. Android makes it easy to disable certain channels from same app. iOS seems to all or none, unless I am yet to learn how itís done.

5. I was using 65w fast typeC charger with android. Based on my reading I thought lighting cable plus this charger should get me faster charging since iPhone 13 does support fast typeC chargers. But nope, it still charges slowly and takes ages !
This is where iOS is about 3 years behind android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I agree to most of these things mentioned here although my main gripe is more to do with usability. iOS has a simple UI but scores low on usability. For achieving basic things like sharing and printing, you have to go through multiple steps. And some things are not possible.
And when you tell this to an Apple fan, they'll say it's intentionally done to ensure security and stability.

Quote:
This is where iOS is about 3 years behind android.And the iPhone's biggest asset (face id) is also it's biggest weakness (notch). Dynamic island is only a temporary workaround, Apple should find a way to get rid of the notch altogether.
Dynamic Island is basically a "Detached Notch". Ok they have added some animation and notifications to hide it. This could also been done using a swipe gesture from the edge or have the notification come out from the edge and have a punchole camera.

BTW, I am not new to iOS - had the 6S before buying the 13, but iPhones were always the secondary phone. And the 13 is too big for a secondary phone. If only I get to exchange it for a 12 or 13 mini.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 21:48   #15365
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tamil Nadu
Posts: 569
Thanked: 1,300 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Google Pay works on my wife's 14 Pro Max.
Google Pay on iOS does not have tap and pay for credit cards. Because Apple locks NFC payments on iOS only for Apple Pay. And of course Apple has not rolled out Apple Pay in India yet as well.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 28th November 2022 at 21:50.
Yieldway17 is offline  
Old 28th November 2022, 22:20   #15366
Senior - BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,478
Thanked: 4,832 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
1. I extensively use contactless payment using google pay. Not supported on iPhones. Apple has its own solution as Apple Pay, but can’t be used in India.
I have been using google pay on iphone 12 since more than a year. Is there any specific feature you are talking about? In general its linked to my SB account and works the same way as it used to in my Android phone. GooglePay is my primary go to app for any and every payment to nearby shops since pre-covid times. PhonePe is secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
2. Life is so much easier with Truecaller to keep all spam callers at bay, however is impaired on iPhone and is of not much help!
This has been a problem since the switch and unfortunately can't help as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
5. I was using 65w fast typeC charger with android. Based on my reading I thought lighting cable plus this charger should get me faster charging since iPhone 13 does support fast typeC chargers. But nope, it still charges slowly and takes ages !
Would strongly suggest you to stick to Apple's 20W charger. Not sure how the others might affect the device.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th November 2022 at 22:25.
SoumenD is offline  
Old 29th November 2022, 06:59   #15367
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 337 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Google pay .
Refer to below quote- itís abt credit card via nfc. Much safer IMO than physical cards.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Google Pay on iOS does not have tap and pay for credit cards. Because Apple locks NFC payments on iOS only for Apple Pay. And of course Apple has not rolled out Apple Pay in India yet as well.
rjainv is offline  
Old 29th November 2022, 10:17   #15368
BHPian
 
concorde24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 132
Thanked: 200 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi All,
Question on USB C adapter (multi type) to cater to Iphone, Apple watch and Airpods case charging - Presently i have the original Apple Type C charger using in series for all the 3 devices.


Are there any good multi-Type C chargers available for using all the 3 devices charging together? Good reviews welcome !
concorde24 is offline  
Old 29th November 2022, 11:55   #15369
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 44
Thanked: 1,199 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
This is where iOS is about 3 years behind android.


And when you tell this to an Apple fan, they'll say it's intentionally done to ensure security and stability.
I am really an Apple fan. If they had not made the iPhone, the modern Android wouldn't have happened.

And, to understand why Apple doesn't "innovate" iPhone "anymore" - innovation is not about creating new designs every year. Android OEMs come up with new things every year - only to kill it the next year. Hardly any of them have stuck. Androids have copied more trends from iPhones than their own.

People like iPhones because iPhones are stable. If Apple comes up with a new innovation or product it does so after much research and then sticks with it. The only "innovation" I have seen Apple kill in an iPhone is the 3D touch. They killed the C iPhones and now the mini series, but they all will be supported for at least 5 years.

Can you say that about the Android OEMs? I remember LG used to bring one new feature every year - like modular phones and stuff like that. Next year, it is gone and something else comes in.

When iPhone ditched the keyboard for the first iPhone, the world made fun of them. Then, copied it. Same with the SD card.
When Apple brought the first glass back iPhone, again they made fun of Apple and then copied it.
When they brought micro-sim, nano sim, esim - android fans made fun of Apple - then their OEMs copied it.
The notch, the 3.5mm jack the list goes on.

But the good thing is Apple does it very slowly. As Tucker Carlson once said on TV, there is only so much change that a society can accept at any time. That is why we have more strife in a revolution compared to evolution.

iPhones are conservative - where change happens slowly - which some people pooh poohs as lack of innovation. Same phone every year, they say. Yet the fact remains that iPhones have made greater impact on they way we communicate than any Android OEM out there.
dragonfire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:51   #15370
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 742
Thanked: 1,183 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Are there any good multi-Type C chargers available for using all the 3 devices charging together? Good reviews welcome !
Don't bother looking for C chargers. Get a C to USB A adapter and you can use the cable supplied with the iPhone. Here is a link to that in Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 14:53   #15371
Senior - BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I am really an Apple fan.
Nothing wrong in that. I'm not an Apple hater nor am I an Android fan. I just go by facts.

Quote:
If they had not made the iPhone, the modern Android wouldn't have happened.
Not entirely true and not based on facts. Just an opinion.

Quote:
And, to understand why Apple doesn't "innovate" iPhone "anymore" - innovation is not about creating new designs every year. Android OEMs come up with new things every year - only to kill it the next year. Hardly any of them have stuck.
True, there is no need to come out with new features every year and discontinue some of them in a year. Having said that, Android does come out with features that are not discontinued. Also not coming out with any features because they may have to discontinue them is wrong. That's like saying "We don't want to waste food. So let's not cook any food".

Quote:
Androids have copied more trends from iPhones than their own.
At least they didn't copy the bad things like lightening port, iTunes, Static Peninsula (Notch) and Dynamic Island.

Quote:
People like iPhones because iPhones are stable.
That and the build quality are the only reasons I buy iPhones.

Quote:
If Apple comes up with a new innovation or product it does so after much research and then sticks with it.
Yea. It's already a 3 year old innovation when in does come out.

Quote:
The only "innovation" I have seen Apple kill in an iPhone is the 3D touch. They killed the C iPhones and now the mini series, but they all will be supported for at least 5 years.
Again it's very easy to limit the number of innovations you kill. Just limit the number of innovations. You will have less to kill.

Quote:
Can you say that about the Android OEMs? I remember LG used to bring one new feature every year - like modular phones and stuff like that. Next year, it is gone and something else comes in.
Apple makes the hardware and the software. The concept of Android is different. Except for the Pixel and earlier the Nexus, most devices are made by 3rd parties and Google does not control them.

Quote:
When iPhone ditched the keyboard for the first iPhone, the world made fun of them. Then, copied it. Same with the SD card.
When Apple brought the first glass back iPhone, again they made fun of Apple and then copied it.
When they brought micro-sim, nano sim, esim - android fans made fun of Apple - then their OEMs copied it.
The notch, the 3.5mm jack the list goes on.
I agree that Apple did some good things. I have no problem with that. I just have a problem with simple things they won't do.

Quote:
But the good thing is Apple does it very slowly. As Tucker Carlson once said on TV, there is only so much change that a society can accept at any time. That is why we have more strife in a revolution compared to evolution.
It's just that they do it too slowly. They can afford to do this as their fans are ready to wait indefinitely for a feature as they believe Apple is doing it in the interest of security and stability.

Quote:
iPhones are conservative - where change happens slowly - which some people pooh poohs as lack of innovation. Same phone every year, they say. Yet the fact remains that iPhones have made greater impact on they way we communicate than any Android OEM out there.
Again factually incorrect. Apple has built a loyal fanbase and continues to grow it. Android on the other hand made sure that the masses had smartphones.

To summarise:
Apple's positives-
- Excellent build quality.
- Stable software.
- Good Cameras.

If these are the only things you care about and are willing to compromise on other stuff, that Apple is for you. Of course if you have never experienced the convenience of Android, you will never know what you are missing. Then too Apple is for you.

I primarily use Android. Occasionally pick up iPhones. In fact just picked up one for my wife and will pick up one for myself shortly. I appreciate Apple for the good things about the iPhone (and the Mac which I also use) but at the same time cannot ignore the shortcomings. Same with Android. I love mot things about it. Pixel has got almost everything right. They haven't got their build quality up to the standard of apple.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 29th November 2022 at 15:11.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 15:26   #15372
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 44
Thanked: 1,199 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Not entirely true and not based on facts. Just an opinion.
Opinion, yes. Read this:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ndroid/282479/
Quote:
That's like saying "We don't want to waste food. So let's not cook any food".
It's more like "Lets cook only if we know what we are doing".

In fact all that the Android OEMs are doing is throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. That ain't innovation.
Quote:

At least they didn't copy the bad things like lightening port, iTunes, Static Peninsula (Notch) and Dynamic Island.
Lightning is proprietary. If not back then they would have dumped micro-usb and moved to lightning port.
Quote:
Again it's very easy to limit the number of innovations you kill. Just limit the number of innovations. You will have less to kill.
Lets see. What are the innovations Android OEMs have come up with and made popular until now? Not bigger screens, higher refresh rate etc. Things like TWS, Airtag, ECG.
Quote:

Apple makes the hardware and the software. The concept of Android is different. Except for the Pixel and earlier the Nexus, most devices are made by 3rd parties and Google does not control them.
For the consumer, that does not matter, does it? Google not controlling how Android phones is not a virtue, it's a drawback. If not cheap, would anybody buy these phones? How many Galaxy flagships get sold compared to iPhones?
Quote:
It's just that they do it too slowly. They can afford to do this as their fans are ready to wait indefinitely for a feature as they believe Apple is doing it in the interest of security and stability.
Well, yes, Apple has a loyal fan base. That is something that they carefully built over the years. It is no religion which you are born into.
Quote:
Of course if you have never experienced the convenience of Android, you will never know what you are missing. Then too Apple is for you.
I have been using two phones for the last 6 years - one android and iPhone. The iPhones were my secondary phones - 5S and 6S. This is the first time I switched to iPhone as my primary phone. I was hoping to get rid of the secondary phone thing. Looks like I will not be able to.

Last edited by dragonfire : 29th November 2022 at 15:29.
dragonfire is offline  
Old 1st December 2022, 13:14   #15373
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 96
Thanked: 518 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
In fact all that the Android OEMs are doing is throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. That ain't innovation.
That is more a Google thing. It is a publicly funded R&D company, which dabbles in a lot of things and throws away stuff that doesn't work, occasionally making a fool of themselves. Then tries to compensate shareholders somewhat by selling our data, often digged from where we don't want them to be.

This is actually innovation; just the process is by trial and error using the public as guinea pigs.

Quote:
Lightning is proprietary. If not back then they would have dumped micro-usb and moved to lightning port.
Not necessarily. It depends on mass acceptance of the technology. HDMI is proprietary too, but widely adopted.

Quote:
What are the innovations Android OEMs have come up with and made popular until now?
If it is compatible with more consumer devices, it is a winner already.

However, an operating system or hardware is supposed to be a platform to support software evolution. It should not need to have a new version every year, because major kernel changes are infrequent and it is mostly security and some UI changes.

Quote:
For the consumer, that does not matter, does it? Google not controlling how Android phones is not a virtue, it's a drawback.
For the consumer, what matters is "they" control it. A big corpo controlling it is not a virtue IMO.

Having said that, Google actually controls Android platform. Android security is centralised; Google is better suited to work on that given the exponentially large consumer base compared to iOS. Of course, the downside is Google uses this to discourage other App Stores/ supply chain.

Quote:
If not cheap, would anybody buy these phones?
Why not? Technology should not be expensive beyond the early adoption. A phone that serves all purposes it is meant to, should not cost $500. This is another win for Android.

Quote:
How many Galaxy flagships get sold compared to iPhones?
We must distinguish between Android and iPhone target consumer base. Android is designed for mass consumers, whereas iPhone is targeted for those with higher purchasing power. So somebody with the budget of a Galaxy S22 Ultra will probably buy what most of his friends already bought.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 00:21   #15374
BHPian
 
warrioraks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Delhi
Posts: 474
Thanked: 3,331 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Although this is the iPhone thread, we cannot disregard the role of Android in democratising smartphones for the masses. How many people in our country can really afford a 50 thousand rupees smartphone? Android in this case has not only provided a viable alternative, but has made sure that it matches nearly every feature of iOS at fraction of a cost. This itself is a big achievement considering Android rules in terms of market share.

Since we are an automotive forum, let’s try to draw an (imperfect) analogy.

Toyota vs Hyundai.
- The first one is an epitome of stability/quality/reliability and charges a premium for its products. This company has loyalists who swear by the brand and would buy it even though it lacks modern features and innovation as some already argue.
- The second one is know to be highly creative, fancier but less reliable. It has offerings across all segments and is a hit in the mass market.

So Toyota fans can bash Hyundai DSG issues, higher service center bills, safety ratings all day but the fact remains that Hyundai is a market maker and caters to people where Toyota does not exist as an option.

Something similar holds true for Android vs iOS in this (imperfect) example:
Android ~= Hyundai
iOS ~= Toyota

They are competitors and complementary at the same time. Just because one of them sells cheaper does not mean it’s less valuable to the eco system.

PS: Writing this from an iPhone

Last edited by warrioraks : 4th December 2022 at 00:29.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 13:43   #15375
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 186
Thanked: 525 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

So, couple of weeks back, I noticed the 512GB iPhone 13 mini was available on Flipkart for 77K with card offers. Tried to convince the resellers in Kolkata to match the price so I can exchange my current phone, but they denied.

Now, I have the 512GB 13 mini in alpine green in my pocket. Love the small form factor, seamless connectivity with the Mac and the Face ID. But hate the apple walls around me after so many years with Android, Siri, the lightning port and the battery backup.

Let's see how long this honeymoon period lasts.
7000plusrpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks