Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 12:46   #2176
BHPian

^^ ordering locked from vodafone or airtel would be an expensive affair IMO. Looking at this price it seems the grey market would lower their bars from 60-70K to 45-50K for a 32 GB iphone.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:52   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Well, you're getting the iPad here for about Rs.58-68k in Khan Market. 3G enabled, I've forgotten the memory. And ALOT of people have bought it, seen a few around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
^^ ordering locked from vodafone or airtel would be an expensive affair IMO. Looking at this price it seems the grey market would lower their bars from 60-70K to 45-50K for a 32 GB iphone.
I've seen much lower prices on Ebay Global Easy Buy.

e.g. iPad 16 gb was around 32-36k IIRC. With the current promotion, you can even get 15% off on that price (max upto Rs 1k).
Old 30th July 2010, 13:06   #2178
Senior - BHPian

For 72K for iphone 4, i would rather fly to HK and get it from there.

Just kidding. I dont know whats the price of Iphone4 there.
Old 30th July 2010, 13:25   #2179
Senior - BHPian

iphone/ipad are not VFM above 25K. Folks should not use this platform to hype/big up a struggling product such as the iphone 4.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:02   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Well, you're getting the iPad here for about Rs.58-68k in Khan Market. 3G enabled, I've forgotten the memory. And ALOT of people have bought it, seen a few around.
There's no point in buying a '3G' enabled ipad as the sim slot is for a Micro SIM or a 3FF card that only ATT provides. That said, there are ways to create a Micro SIM by chopping up your existing SIM or use an adapter. Is it worth all the trouble?
Old 30th July 2010, 17:49   #2181
BHPian

Guys, any links to list the best free apps for iphone, be it games, social networking, productivity etc.
Old 1st August 2010, 06:37   #2182
BHPian

I think it is pretty easy to chop a sim. I have seen a pictorial of the same in a website. They provide a sticker and you have to cut along the border. So, there is a jugad available. Till we are able to get micro sims, I think this is the only option.
Old 1st August 2010, 14:30   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
I think it is pretty easy to chop a sim. I have seen a pictorial of the same in a website. They provide a sticker and you have to cut along the border. So, there is a jugad available. Till we are able to get micro sims, I think this is the only option.
You can literally cut the sim with eyes closed. Or you can probably find a template and print it, place your sim on it, and cut it. I have cut two sims so far for my iPad 3G. Piece of cake.
Old 1st August 2010, 23:44   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody tell me whats so good in an iphone except the brand name?

since i have bought the Xperia X10, people first ask me the price & then comment, "you could have bought an iphone instead"!!! I am tired of these comments.

so i did a quick comparo here. i had done this before buying the X10 too. both the phones cost approx the same. from the comparo, you can note that-

1) both weigh the same
2) both have capacitive touch screen
3) though X10 presently has 65k colors compared to 16M colors in iphone, even the X10 will get 16M colors by november after the Android 2.1 OS, to which i can upgrade free of cost
4) X10 has a larger screen
5) X10 has a 384 MB RAM
6) iphone's camera features are 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, touch focus & geo-tagging whereas X10's features are 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, touch focus, image stabilization, geo-tagging, face and smile detection
7) iphone does not support java
8) battery life is better in X10

all the other features are similar. So why buy the iphone when you get more in the X10? is it only the brand value or is there something i am missing?
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:29   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

since i have bought the Xperia X10, people first ask me the price & then comment, "you could have bought an iphone instead"!!! I am tired of these comments.

so i did a quick comparo here. i had done this before buying the X10 too. both the phones cost approx the same. from the comparo, you can note that-

1) both weigh the same
2) both have capacitive touch screen
3) though X10 presently has 65k colors compared to 16M colors in iphone, even the X10 will get 16M colors by november after the Android 2.1 OS, to which i can upgrade free of cost
4) X10 has a larger screen
5) X10 has a 384 MB RAM
6) iphone's camera features are 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, touch focus & geo-tagging whereas X10's features are 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, touch focus, image stabilization, geo-tagging, face and smile detection
7) iphone does not support java
8) battery life is better in X10

all the other features are similar. So why buy the iphone when you get more in the X10? is it only the brand value or is there something i am missing?
Ignorance perhaps . I have heard that comment too when I suggested Nexus one or Galaxy S to a friend. He said, if I have to spend so much, I might as well buy an iPhone. iPhone is good, no doubt, but with android things are improving at a much much faster rate. I guess, most people are still not aware of Android and it's developments and might link them to the G1.

One thing about iPhone is the apps, the availability of apps for android is kind of limited, but it will eventually catch up .

And by the way, here's a comment I saw on a thread called "What can the iphone do that android can't?"
iPhone can drop calls with a slide of the finger.

Here's the link ,

What can the iphone do that android can't? - Android Forums
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:30   #2186
BHPian

Iphone 4 Jailbreak Officially announced in US

Hi All,

Iphone can now be officially be jailbroken as it has been legallised in US. You can hence install the OS 4.0 on Iphone and still use it with any service provider. TO know more about the jail breaking of Iphone you can go to the following website on your phone using Wifii

JailbreakMe 2.0

I think this one should be an easy jailbreak as its available to all and its free too

Regards,
Kailash
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:18   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

so i did a quick comparo here. So why buy the iphone when you get more in the X10? is it only the brand value or is there something i am missing?
Well Does X10 have iPride, iSnob & iImage

I agree with you & the main reason i believe is the brand image that Apple products have. Apple is known to make products which you may not need but would still want to buy.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd August 2010 at 03:22.
Old 3rd August 2010, 03:19   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely the brand 'Apple' is one major reason.
Apple is known for its attention to detail, intuitive design and probably the best user interface. If you do a spec-to-spec comparison, you will find a lot of phones better than iPhone, but majority of iPhone buyers don't by iPhone because of specs.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:15   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well Does X10 have iPride, iSnob & iImage

I agree with you & the main reason i believe is the brand image that Apple products have. Apple is known to make products which you may not need but would still want to buy.
if you can tell me what they are & how they help, maybe i can answer! LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Definitely the brand 'Apple' is one major reason.
Apple is known for its attention to detail, intuitive design and probably the best user interface.
Well, someone told me you have to use an iphone to see how good it is. i used my uncle's iphone for 5 days & frankly dint find any big difference in its user interface. people say the touchscreen (sensitivity as some say) of the iphone is the best but honestly, even my X10's screen feels the same. but then thats my opinion.

I did a spec-to-spec comparo as i feel that some of these things are highly overated in the iphone.

of course, its a good phone, but since some major features are lacking, i think it should be priced a lot less.

Quote:
If you do a spec-to-spec comparison, you will find a lot of phones better than iPhone, but majority of iPhone buyers don't by iPhone because of specs.
can brand value play such a big role? is it that i want an iphone because my neighbour has one?

even in terms of looks, i feel all samsungs, SEs & iphones are almost equivalent-
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-appleiphone3gs01.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-sexperiax10new3.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd August 2010 at 10:17.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:24   #2190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi All,

Iphone can now be officially be jailbroken as it has been legallised in US. You can hence install the OS 4.0 on Iphone and still use it with any service provider.
Small correction ^^ you can install apps that are not approved by apple, and does NOT mean you can use any service provider. For selecting any service provider you have to use one of the unlock options after jail break

Most Viewed