Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 16:13   #2281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Right now my iPhone 3GS is left unused. It is an unlocked phone, was never locked in the first place. Last time I connected it to iTunes, it offered to upgrade it to 4.0.x version. I didn't bother because I didn't want it get locked by mistake, I mean who knows. I am not very familiar with the Apple hardware/software funda.

So, it is safe to upgrade it to 4.0.x?
If it is an officially unlocked phone, I see no harm in upgrading.

Check whether the cydia app is installed on it, if yes then it is a jail broken phone, so do not bother to upgrade.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 31st August 2010 at 16:17.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:35   #2282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Right now my iPhone 3GS is left unused. It is an unlocked phone, was never locked in the first place.
========
I am not very familiar with the Apple hardware/software funda.

So, it is safe to upgrade it to 4.0.x?
Sharath your piece is what is know as the company unlocked piece you can upgrade and while setting up iTunes automatically checks with apple servers and retain its freedom
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:12   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Initial Review of iphone 4

Here are my initial thoughts about Iphone 4.

After playing around with Iphone 4, i would say its a good upgrade over 2G and 3gs. I still haven't had any reception issues but i haven't hold it the wrong way. I have also ordered case from app store which i will be getting in couple of weeks just to be on safer side.

Hardware + Looks:

The looks and feel of phone is good. Compared to 3gs, it rests in hand much better. The Retina display imo is an exaggeration. I have been used to 2g and 3gs and the improvement is minor, nothing spectacular. I found Captivate's and X10's screen better.

Haven't really tried taking photos and videos but will do so soon. I did some interior shots and they were just about ok. May be i am spoiled by C905's interior results.

OS: I have iOS 4.0 i think. A great improvement over the previous version. Good option of setting wallpaper. Transition is smooth and multi-tasking is ok. Used photos search and youtube together and there was no lag.

Not tried the GPS, Video recording, FaceTime.

Last edited by chevelle : 2nd September 2010 at 19:14.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:12   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks chevelle, that is very informative.

Do you see much difference in browsing speed, compared to 3GS?

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2010 at 16:20. Reason: No need to quote the entire post that is right above your reply. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2010, 02:38   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
The Retina display imo is an exaggeration. I have been used to 2g and 3gs and the improvement is minor, nothing spectacular.

Haven't really tried taking photos and videos but will do so soon. I did some interior shots and they were just about ok. May be i am spoiled by C905's interior results.
You must be joking or your eyes need to be tested!!! Retina display is simply amazing, try browsing websites or reading stuff on your phone like PDFs or docs.

The display is one of the primary reasons why I got the iPhone 4, I am really surprised to see your comment that it's a minor upgrade

And the camera is far better than most camera phones with 5MP or larger MP. I haven't used a C905 but I'm pretty sure that the iPhone 4's camera is nothing less.
Old 3rd September 2010, 04:04   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
You must be joking or your eyes need to be tested!!! Retina display is simply amazing, try browsing websites or reading stuff on your phone like PDFs or docs.

The display is one of the primary reasons why I got the iPhone 4, I am really surprised to see your comment that it's a minor upgrade.

And the camera is far better than most camera phones with 5MP or larger MP. I haven't used a C905 but I'm pretty sure that the iPhone 4's camera is nothing less.
For what they are publicizing about, its indeed a minor upgrade for me since i come off 3gs and 2g. I have seen better screens. Just my opinion. I don't read docs on iphone so won't even know what to compare with. The photos do look vibrant and videos look good too.

I also used facetime. But again its an exaggeration. The whole world can do video conferencing on 3g, wi-fi with any device and here apple is stuck with wi-fi and iphone to iphone thumb rule. And they have gone ahead and implemented it in ipod touch too.

Regarding photos, while i am sure it will be better than previous iphones, i will hold my judgement till i get better daylight pics of nature and potraits. Remember, i took interior pics, that too very low lit ones where c905a has advantage of flash. And so what i am going to do is, i will click photos from both the phone and upload here. So you can be the judge.

Now its my turn to get surprised that you bought iphone4 for just the screen. There are better uses of iphone too rather than just watch the display.

But i will have to say, i am happy with the purchase. As such i won't be using it much so its ok with me. Time for 2G and w580i to go i guess. Will retain 3gs and c905 till dec and then will part with them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Thanks chevelle, that is very informative.

Do you see much difference in browsing speed, compared to 3GS?
I have used wi-fi in both the phones and i would say there is minor improvement. While i have no yardstick to measure how much improvement, i would say, on the same wi-fi network, some pages load faster than before.

In 3gs, i didn't use 3G as i didn't had data plan as it was jailbreaked and unlocked when i bought it. So again, no yardstick to compare how browsing is when using 3G. Sorry not much of help here.

Last edited by chevelle : 3rd September 2010 at 04:07.
Old 3rd September 2010, 05:15   #2287
BHPian

Quote:

After playing around with Iphone 4, i would say its a good upgrade over 2G and 3gs. I still haven't had any reception issues but i haven't hold it the wrong way. I have also ordered case from app store which i will be getting in couple of weeks just to be on safer side.

Hardware + Looks:

The looks and feel of phone is good. Compared to 3gs, it rests in hand much better. The Retina display imo is an exaggeration. I have been used to 2g and 3gs and the improvement is minor, nothing spectacular. I found Captivate's and X10's screen better.

OS: I have iOS 4.0 i think. A great improvement over the previous version. Good option of setting wallpaper. Transition is smooth and multi-tasking is ok. Used photos search and Youtube together and there was no lag.

Not tried the GPS, Video recording, FaceTime.
Hmmm the retina display is indeed a huge change i felt. Comparing both 3gs and 4 will definitely show you the quality of the screen.
I'm jus loving my 4 now

BTW did you take any pics, even i havent taken much or tested it yet..not sure how good the quality will be in PC too

Facetime is also an added advantage, with the iPod touch also having the feature, i guess its gonna be a lot useful than how it is now.
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:17   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Hmmm the retina display is indeed a huge change i felt. Comparing both 3gs and 4 will definitely show you the quality of the screen.
I'm jus loving my 4 now

BTW did you take any pics, even i havent taken much or tested it yet..not sure how good the quality will be in PC too

Facetime is also an added advantage, with the iPod touch also having the feature, i guess its gonna be a lot useful than how it is now.
That's what i am trying to say. Coming from 3gs it looked good, but comparing other phone's screen - hd2, captivate, x10 - its at par with them while some even beats the 4. I am just saying the quality, not the touch response or screen size. May be my eyes are old now.

I haven't taken any pics yet, will do so soon. Tomorrow for sure.

I can't still get over the fact that the facetime doesn't work with other devices/3g. I guess i will have to jailbreak it if i have to use that feature as i am sure the developers are working on it.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:16   #2289
BHPian

Quote:

Now its my turn to get surprised that you bought iphone4 for just the screen. There are better uses of iphone too rather than just watch the display.
Ha ha, clearly you haven't used your iPhone 4 much.

Try reading stuff on websites you will notice that the fonts are amazingly sharp and readable without pinching & zooming. I even subscribe to online versions of magazines like PCWorld, MacWorld, iPhoneLife etc (Zinio App for that) and iBooks, reading PDFs are an absolute pleasure on the iPhone 4.

So its not just about watching the display but making use of the money spent on it!

Clearly, there is a big difference when compared to 2G or 3GS, you couldn't read smaller text unless you zoom in, unless its an iPhone 4.

Last edited by gopz : 3rd September 2010 at 12:17.
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:50   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha, clearly you haven't used your iPhone 4 much.

Try reading stuff on websites you will notice that the fonts are amazingly sharp and readable without pinching & zooming. I even subscribe to online versions of magazines like PCWorld, MacWorld, iPhoneLife etc (Zinio App for that) and iBooks, reading PDFs are an absolute pleasure on the iPhone 4.

So its not just about watching the display but making use of the money spent on it!

Clearly, there is a big difference when compared to 2G or 3GS, you couldn't read smaller text unless you zoom in, unless its an iPhone 4.
I agree i haven't spent lot of time on iphone 4. Its been 2 days and i haven't even spent 2 hours time with it. But then, i am not the primary user of it. Its with my fiance.

As i said before, i don't read docs on iphone 4 be it magazines/pdfs/ebooks. I have other devices/hard copy for that. So for me to appreciate the display i don't think i will change my reading pattern.

Still you are comparing with 2G and 3GS while i am clearly referring to other devices. I did agree with you on previous posts that its better compared to 2G and 3GS. But it seems you are overlooking it. Try seeing a video and photo on iphone 4 and captivate and you will see the difference. I am sure the text would be better in iphone 4 since it has small screen size and more pixel count, but in video and games, its a wee bit behind the captivate.

As for making use of money, i am already doing that, but in a different way. Not two users are the same.

And i made that comment just for fun. You took it seriously. Please don't.

PS: A couple of hours, i did the death grip test. And it does seem like an issue. Here is what i did. Two phones - Sony w580i and Iphone 4. At same place, same network. I called from iphone 4 and held the death grip, meanwhile answered the phone on w580i. The network bars on iphone 4 was only 1/5 while on w580i it was 4/5. Then i hanged up and called from w580i and answered on iphone 4. Still the same issue. Should i be worried about this?

PS 2: I love the resale value of iphones. 2 and half year old 2G went for $170. I bought it for $280. That's just $110 for 2 and half years of use.

Last edited by chevelle : 3rd September 2010 at 14:02.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:26   #2291
BHPian

I've been *extensively* using iPhone 4 from the second day it was launched , had a 3GS/3G/2G in that order before. (And a hundred other handsets since 1999, but that's a different story)

You're right, no two users are the same, and as for viewing pics/videos, it's not as noticeable as browsing or reading text.

But even the text below the icons on the homescreen/email looks far superior, probably you should keep them side by side...and I haven't taken anything personally mate don't worry about it

About the death grip, it exists on ALL iPhone 4's, regardless someone says that they don't have that issue. Probably they are standing below the tower or they are just fanboys who don't want to admit. Its a FACT, death grip affects all iPhone 4's.

Best thing is to get a case for it. I went for Incase Snap Smoke case.

Snap Case for iPhone 4 : Products By Incase

Apple won't give out free cases if it was a non-issue, it cost them millions, apart from the bad mouth from the media etc.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:04   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been *extensively* using iPhone 4 from the second day it was launched , had a 3GS/3G/2G in that order before. (And a hundred other handsets since 1999, but that's a different story)

You're right, no two users are the same, and as for viewing pics/videos, it's not as noticeable as browsing or reading text.

But even the text below the icons on the homescreen/email looks far superior, probably you should keep them side by side...and I haven't taken anything personally mate don't worry about it

About the death grip, it exists on ALL iPhone 4's, regardless someone says that they don't have that issue. Probably they are standing below the tower or they are just fanboys who don't want to admit. Its a FACT, death grip affects all iPhone 4's.

Apple won't give out free cases if it was a non-issue, it cost them millions, apart from the bad mouth from the media etc.
I am looking out for any problems that may crop up during these 30 day period. If i have regular drop calls, i may as well return it and go for some other phone. I wouldn't pay $850 to have drop calls all the time. I still have to experience it, but its still less than 2 hrs talk time.

I have ordered case from Apple, shall arrive in 2 weeks time, till then i am gonna use a case similar to one you have used. But mine is not a branded one. Its a simple one available at an accessory shop.

Yes, my requirements is much different than what yours is that's why i don't find a big deal about the noise Jobs made when he launched iphone 4. One thing is for sure, i have got bored of the default icons that shows up on the screen. Need to change it asap. Do you any legal app to do so?
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:50   #2293
BHPian

Quote:

Now that excatly the one i have ordered

Quote:
That's what i am trying to say. Coming from 3gs it looked good, but comparing other phone's screen - hd2, captivate, x10 - its at par with them while some even beats the 4. I am just saying the quality, not the touch response or screen size. May be my eyes are old now.

I haven't taken any pics yet, will do so soon. Tomorrow for sure.

I can't still get over the fact that the facetime doesn't work with other devices/3g. I guess i will have to jailbreak it if i have to use that feature as i am sure the developers are working on it.
lol no buddy im sure your eye are young
Jus that some words are maniac apple fan in me

yep absolutely agree on the facetime not available in other 3g's

BTW did u try changing the ringtones in 4? Gopz can anyone help
Old 4th September 2010, 09:08   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Jus that some words are maniac apple fan in me

yep absolutely agree on the facetime not available in other 3g's

BTW did u try changing the ringtones in 4? Gopz can anyone help
I am not a fan of any mobile company. If a mobile suits my requirements i like it. Different mobiles do different things in a good way. Like a walkman phone makes me tap the feet while a cybershot helps me in getting on-the-spot pics while an iphone helps for web, games, videos and stuff. That's why i have multiple mobiles with me currently.

As for ringtones. That's the first thing i did on getting iphone 4. Actually i had custom ringtones from 3gs and it is working fine with iphone 4 too. Also created some new ones using the following links.

iPhone Ringtones Free, Create iPhone Ringtones | iPhone

Free Custom iPhone Ringtones Using Only iTunes

hope this helps.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:48   #2295
Senior - BHPian

The HK price has been announced at HKD4988 for the 16GB iPhone 4. At the current exchange rate of ~6, that's about 30k. It's the cheapest I've heard anywhere for a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks