Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 12:58   #2926
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Oh, it's a news to me.
I thought, iPad2 is released with 4.3.1 only.
Yes, mine is upgraded to 4.3.1 from 4.2.1.
As u said, Battery seems to be very strong.
yesterday I used it for more than 6 hrs to FB and some other applications and it's battery was still 60% more when i left my phone.I was amazed of this performance.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:18   #2927
BHPian

Cool. Thanks for the clarification and enjoy iOS 4.3.1
Old 28th March 2011, 13:31   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
is there an unlock and jailbreak available for iphone 3g with 4.2.1 os and baseband as 05.15.04?

would appreciate if someone can throw some light on this.
I recently unlocked my phone - 3GS with 4.2.1 OS ana BB 5.15.04. It is possible by upgrading your BB with 6.15 firmware, which is actually officially for the older iPad models - as the iPhone and Ipad share similar hardware for the GSM modem part, it is supposed to work well for iPhones also. Atleast it works well for me.

Now, before you go ahead and do it, please read the warnings on the Dev Team site. The biggest risk you might have is that the GPS may not work well.
For me, i have not yet tested the GPS fully yet, but it appears that AGPS works well, but it is not that accurate - so i am assuming that it is the AGPS and not real GPS. Otherwise, it all works well.

Remember, this whole hack is to be able to do an unlock, which is available on 6.15 BB FW, but not on 05.15.04. If you go ahead and upgrade to 6.15 BB FW, and IF Apple releases the next version of BB FW, say 05.16.04, it may not be possible to go back to this newly released version.

For me, having a working phone was more important than waiting for a fix for the GPS issue.

Last edited by deep_bang : 28th March 2011 at 13:33.
Old 28th March 2011, 14:39   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I recently unlocked my phone - 3GS with 4.2.1 OS ana BB 5.15.04. It is possible by upgrading your BB with 6.15 firmware, which is actually officially for the older iPad models - as the iPhone and Ipad share similar hardware for the GSM modem part, it is supposed to work well for iPhones also. Atleast it works well for me.

Now, before you go ahead and do it, please read the warnings on the Dev Team site. The biggest risk you might have is that the GPS may not work well.
For me, i have not yet tested the GPS fully yet, but it appears that AGPS works well, but it is not that accurate - so i am assuming that it is the AGPS and not real GPS. Otherwise, it all works well.

Remember, this whole hack is to be able to do an unlock, which is available on 6.15 BB FW, but not on 05.15.04. If you go ahead and upgrade to 6.15 BB FW, and IF Apple releases the next version of BB FW, say 05.16.04, it may not be possible to go back to this newly released version.

For me, having a working phone was more important than waiting for a fix for the GPS issue.
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked around and i found that it is doable after upgrading the baseband. which i shall try. GPS will not be used at all, so its not a priority for me. I will try and see if it works.

For unlock to work, i will have to jailbreak it first and then upgrade the baseband and then unlock it, am i correct?

Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 15:32   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. I looked around and i found that it is doable after upgrading the baseband. which i shall try. GPS will not be used at all, so its not a priority for me. I will try and see if it works.

For unlock to work, i will have to jailbreak it first and then upgrade the baseband and then unlock it, am i correct?

Thanks
Yes, if you are using Redsnow you can install Cydia and the iPad baseband at one go. After jailbreaking, install ultrasnow to unlock your phone.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:55   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
Yes, if you are using Redsnow you can install Cydia and the iPad baseband at one go. After jailbreaking, install ultrasnow to unlock your phone.
Hmm. I did the jailbreak with Green Poison and later upgraded the BB with Ultrasn0w, and finally unlock with Ultrasn0w application on the iphone.

Now, someone told me that Green Poison is the only one which can do a un-tethered jailbreak. I dont know that for sure. But if that is really true, i would suggest to use Green Poison to Jailbreak.
Old 30th March 2011, 15:01   #2932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Hmm. I did the jailbreak with Green Poison and later upgraded the BB with Ultrasn0w, and finally unlock with Ultrasn0w application on the iphone.

Now, someone told me that Green Poison is the only one which can do a un-tethered jailbreak. I dont know that for sure. But if that is really true, i would suggest to use Green Poison to Jailbreak.
I'm have not used Green Poison, so cant give you any advice. But redsnow gives you a tethered unlock. Annoying at times.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:31   #2933
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a new factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Gaffar Market in Delhi for Rs. 36k. I will be searching this thread extensively for details as I am new to IPhone. My cousin has it for last couple of years and will be taking his help.

For now, I syncronised my phone to itunes in his laptop and got various applications, music and HD wallpapers (what I love the most). However, i have also got some unwanted photos of his and want to delete them. But my brother says it cannot be deleted from phone. I will need to sync it again to itunes and select images I want and then transfer. I cannot find any option to delete them in phone...so is he right?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st April 2011 at 01:33.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:44   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
However, i have also got some unwanted photos of his and want to delete them. But my brother says it cannot be deleted from phone. I will need to sync it again to itunes and select images I want and then transfer. I cannot find any option to delete them in phone...so is he right?
Firstly congrats on your buy and welcome to iphone fan club!! Deleting pics from iphone is very easy. Go to photos from home screen and then tap on camera roll. In the camera roll folder you can find all the pics captured from iphone cam. Just select the photo which you want to delete and tap on the bottom right trash icon on the screen and you are good to go!!

I hope this helps!
Old 1st April 2011, 09:46   #2935
Senior - BHPian

@lazybrain, thanks man. I am able to delete pics from the camera roll i.e. the photos I have shot from the phone, in the same way as you described. But, the trash option doesnt come in photo library option. I got these from iphotos of my cousin's laptop through itunes. He had lot of HD wallpapers and they were too gud. But along with the walls, his personal images came in too as I selected on all photos while syncronising my phone to his laptop (thought I will be able to delete the unwanted ones later).

So may be if there is a way I can get these walls on to my laptop again through itunes and select the walls which I need and then sync.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:52   #2936
BHPian

There are 2 options. In your friends iTunes media folder, cut the pics you dont need and paste it somewhere else(preferably desktop)

Once done, sync your phone, the photos not present in the media folder will get removed.

If you wish to sync from your own computer, then you need to copy the media folder from your friends laptop and replace your media folder with it and then sync.

Mind you, if you use your computer without copying your friends media folder, everything from your phone will get deleted.

You can get the media folder location from iTunes,

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Media folder location. If you wish, you can change it to.

Last but not least, welcome to the iPhone club.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2011, 11:07   #2937
Team-BHP Support

If the pics are in photo album after syncing, you need to delete the pics from that folder on the comp and resync. That is the right way to delete it off the phone.

What i would suggest is copy these pics from your cousins comp onto a flash disc etc. After setting up your own computer with iTunes sync, just add the photos to your photo album folder (computer).
Old 1st April 2011, 19:38   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu and Dreams. As per what you guys said, I copied the necessary stuff from my cousin's laptop (apple pro) to a flash drive and then to my laptop. Now, I installed itunes on my laptop which runs on Windows 7 (32 bit, if I am right, coz 64 bit itunes setup said, you need normal 32 bit setup).

This is where the problem starts, as soon as I connect my iphone to itunes, and it starts to syncronise, a pop up stating "itunes has stopped working" comes up and the itunes closes. I uninstalled the programs (all apple sofwares that gets installed from itunes and iphone) and re installed them atleast 3-4 times but the problem was not rectified. Then I tried it on my brothers laptop, which too runs on windows 7 but again the same error happened.

Then, I thought it may be because I installed stuff from my cousin's apple laptop, so I restored the phone to factory settings and deleted everything. Then I tried syncronising the phone with itunes and again the same error came up.

So, is there something I am missing or something to do with windows 7 or something else. Also, do I need to get sepetare account of itunes or will I be able to get all the applications of my cousin's account and still be able to sync the iphone to my laptop to update photos and musin from time to time..... pls HELP.

EDIT: the itunes software I downloaded was from apple india website, its 10.2.1 something..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st April 2011 at 19:41.
Old 1st April 2011, 23:39   #2939
BHPian

Try this..

From the iTunes store menu choose "Deauthorize Computer…" followed by "Authorize Computer…"
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:02   #2940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
From the iTunes store menu choose "Deauthorize Computer…" followed by "Authorize Computer…"
I read this on net, but the problem is that I still dont have an account. If I add my cousin's account, it will charge his card for all the application I have taken from my cousin's account.

What I am not able to get is, even after restoring the phone, the itunes didnt work..no stuff on phone and no id in laptop...

any other option, or should I get a new account? I mean what if I get a new account, pay for stuff and still it doesnt work?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd April 2011 at 01:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks