Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 18:25   #3556
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
scenario 2: however when the phone is locked and we get a call, either press volume button to silent it out and it gets gets cut after few rings. however if u dont wish to accept and you want to disconnect immediately the call you can also press the lock or on the topsleep button when incoming call has arrived. that will decline the call voila u cut the call which u dint intend to answer. let me know if it works for you. it works for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
What I do is I silence it with pressing the volume switch on the left.
In other words, nobody reads the manual.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:28   #3557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In other words, nobody reads the manual.

Hahahhaha. i didnot want to disappoint the people who press the volume button. hence added it. let me explain. if dont wish to talk to a person at that point of time, and just to give an impression that you were busy or to give reason that phone was in silent mode press the volume button. however if you want just want to inform people you really busy and cant take any calls, press the lock or sleep button.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:35   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Btw, IIRC, the OS users manual is actually a softcopy and not a booklet. No?
Old 14th September 2011, 18:35   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Thank YOu Endo,
I bought my Iphone 4 in May but till now I use only silent switch. It is good you gave the idea. When I want to delete the message it says archive. How to delete. Of course I down loaded the Manual but did not go through fuly. I got it from Hongkong as unlocked. Here I use the BSNL sim. I did made the ring tone of my choice with 30" duration.We get a lot of ideas from web and forums.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:58   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I found iOS quite difficult that way. How to delete a SMS took the longest to figure out. There was no menu and I didn't want to read the manual. I guess we old techies are the most reluctant to read the manual.
Ditto here but saying this is throwing stone in beehive , people assume you have not used blah blah..

A corporative single task OS with pleasant looking but rather difficult to use UX.

Quote:
Thank YOu Endo,
I bought my Iphone 4 in May but till now I use only silent switch. It is good you gave the idea. When I want to delete the message it says archive. How to delete. Of course I down loaded the Manual but did not go through fuly. I got it from Hongkong as unlocked. Here I use the BSNL sim. I did made the ring tone of my choice with 30" duration.We get a lot of ideas from web and forums.
Well my friend you are not alone , but thanks for providing a live example on it is not an intuitive and integral part of UX

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You said "there is no way to reject the call" on iphone when screen is locked. If that is not misinformation then we dont have any corrupt politicians either.
OK I should have said no direct intuitive way be happy , Fiddling with power button on top is a round about afterthought and not part of a touch phone UX.

If you have to count on misinformation then no one can beat Apple.
They changed the aspect ratio in diagrams from 16:9 to 4:3 while filing for injunction in German court.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th September 2011 at 18:59.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:04   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
OK I should have said no direct intuitive way be happy , Fiddling with power button on top is a round about afterthought and not part of a touch phone UX.

If you have to count on misinformation then no one can beat Apple.
They changed the aspect ratio in diagrams from 16:9 to 4:3 while filing for injunction in German court.
Riiiight. And that gives everyone the justification to project whatever half baked ideas they have cooked up in their head as solid defects.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:05   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Thank YOu Endo,
in the main message screen where it lists the messages slide on the message from left to right. you will get the delete option now. delete it. simple.

To all apple users, if you dont know this.( this is not to hurt sentiments, but just in case you dont know, to help Iphone users)

to close the application from Iphone, you need to double click on menu button, all the applications those are option will list on the bottom, press and hold the icon till it starts shaking then cancel it out. this closes the application. till 3 months back i dint know this, and use to switch it off and on every week.

Last edited by Endofdayz : 14th September 2011 at 19:08.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:17   #3563
BHPian

For all Apple users who do not read Manuals of modern electronic devices, here is a link to get basic things done in an iPhone 4.

Apple - iPhone - Tips and Tricks

Modern devices are way too complicated for most of us to figure out all its features on our own.

OT: I still have no idea how I can change batteries of my Sony Bravia LCD tv's remote.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:19   #3564
Senior - BHPian

It is not deleting messages. When I want to delete some mails if I slide it shows archive but not the delete option. Does archive mean delete here.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:26   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
It is not deleting messages. When I want to delete some mails if I slide it shows archive but not the delete option. Does archive mean delete here.

navan i have no clue here. my phone is factory unlocked from singapore stores. whenever i slide it gives only delete option.

i'm talking about the messages here. for mails i guess you using mobileMe. i dont use the same so no clue.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:49   #3566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
Just change the settings for Mail Account
Archive Message - Off
Old 15th September 2011, 06:28   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
Think "Archive" is only for Gmail. For Yahoo & Hotmail it shows up as delete.
At least, that's the way it works for me.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:54   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon

If you configure the Exchange on iphone to use gmail, you will be able to see delete option. Also, this will "push" new mails to your gmail account on to your phone. You wont need to "check for new mail" anymore.

Yahoo mails are already pushed. Dont know about hotmail though.
Old 15th September 2011, 08:40   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon

For gmail account it's only move and archive. Once you select the message you want to delete click the move option and move it to TRASH folder. This is the way I do it.
Old 15th September 2011, 10:27   #3570
Team-BHP Support

You can switch off archive under settings of your gmail settings page (web- refer the attach screen shot). I think this is what everyone is looking for?
The iPhone Thread-untitled.jpg

Well as far as Android Vs iOS Vs Win Vs Symbian all of them have their plus and minus. Its purely a personal choice one prefers a certain OS or device. I have used all of them and currently also using multiple devices, but at the end of the day i feel very comfortable with iOS. The hardware also has not let me down till date, inspite of some silly mistakes from my side.

I was also full gaga over Defy hardware (water proof, gorilla glass) but having seen one shattered gorilla glass, with just a fall from the hand, it became boo boo. The delicate iPhone 4 has done zillion tumble on the floor, and still survived with just bumpers. <Touches wood>

Does that make me a fan boy? To be very honest i really dont care, as long as it suites my purpose to a T
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed