Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 10:47   #3571
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Note from Team-BHP support: Re-instated certain deleted post. Request all to keep it a cordial debate.

Jaggu
TeamBHP Support.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:15   #3572
Senior - BHPian

After the discussion yesterday I fiddle some thing and push all the archieve mails to bin and from the bin I deleted the mail messages. To day it directly give the option of delete.Yes mine is a google mail account.
Old 15th September 2011, 17:28   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
After the discussion yesterday I fiddle some thing and push all the archieve mails to bin and from the bin I deleted the mail messages. To day it directly give the option of delete.Yes mine is a google mail account.
No need to move all mail from Archive to Trash.
You must have done(fiddled),
Settings > Mail > Gmail > Archive Messages > Off
Old 15th September 2011, 19:05   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Dear thread members I am a old generation old man of 63 and still want to be with the latest gadgets. So I bought the Iphone 4 and trying to use all the facilities here. Any body can help me with one more query.I want to participate in Share purchase and selling on the move. But it is not possible with iphone with my poor knowledge. It needs Java to use the sbicapsec.com and need the explorer.Is there any idea to install Java in Iphone. Mine is Iphone 4 with 32GB.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:10   #3575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
No need to move all mail from Archive to Trash.
You must have done(fiddled),
Settings > Mail > Gmail > Archive Messages > Off
I think this is for IMAP. Am using Exchange configuration for my Gmail and it does not have this option.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:19   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu

I think this is for IMAP. Am using Exchange configuration for my Gmail and it does not have this option.
Not sure about it, but I selected the Google settings and not the Exchange.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:21   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
Dear thread members I am a old generation old man of 63 and still want to be with the latest gadgets. So I bought the Iphone 4 and trying to use all the facilities here. Any body can help me with one more query.I want to participate in Share purchase and selling on the move. But it is not possible with iphone with my poor knowledge. It needs Java to use the sbicapsec.com and need the explorer.Is there any idea to install Java in Iphone. Mine is Iphone 4 with 32GB.
Sorry, you cannot install Java (or any java apps) on the iPhone 4.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:01   #3578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Sorry, you cannot install Java (or any java apps) on the iPhone 4.
Apple has officially deprecated Java from MAC OS-X and Apple ecosystem as well so it will not be there in future iPhones as well.
Here is a mail from Steve Jobs
EmailFromSteveJobs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He also said famously "Java’s not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It’s this big heavyweight ball and chain"
Old 15th September 2011, 23:13   #3579
Senior - BHPian

Iphone is such a good mobile. If we cannot install Java we cannot use it in place of laptop for the sites which are built with Java.So we cannot get rid of our laptop.If that is the case how about using the ibook with Java applications.Though they say that no bogy is using Java it is not true. The sites are telling us to down load sun Java and browse or trade.I think there may be some 3rd party Java for Iphone4.
Old 16th September 2011, 00:04   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iphone is such a good mobile. If we cannot install Java we cannot use it in place of laptop for the sites which are built with Java.So we cannot get rid of our laptop.If that is the case how about using the ibook with Java applications.Though they say that no bogy is using Java it is not true. The sites are telling us to down load sun Java and browse or trade.I think there may be some 3rd party Java for Iphone4.
Well there used to be applications like Cloud browser and few others which allowed Java based website but I am not sure if they exists any longer.

Apple revised developer agreement with iPhone 4 release and it prohibits any kind of glue layer or tool for apps to be hosted on App store.
This includes Flash, Java, Silverlight and Mono ( open source equivalent of .net).

The app must be developed only in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript on official Apple SDK.
Subsequently all such apps were deleted from app store.
So this agreement binds third party companies and they can no longer provide any such product.

So if you are particular on Java go for products which support Java.

You are right and Job's pearls of wisdom were from the fact that Java is forte of competition and allowing Java would mean loosing apps and developers to other ecosystem.

There are some browsers which support flash on iPhone but they trans code flash on the server and no interpretation is done on the device thus they abide by Apple agreement but I am not sure this kind of product is available for Java and even if it is available it is not advisable for a banking transaction which needs secured tunnel as any trans-coding on intermediate server is invitation to trouble.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th September 2011 at 00:21. Reason: Adding info about transcoing browsers for iOS
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 18:48   #3581
Senior - BHPian

I have lots of contact phone numbers in Nokia E75 Mobile. I wanted to install in Iphone4. I could down load it to my IMAC. But could not copy paste to my contacts in my iphone.It synchronises with itune but not able to add my contacts. Any help from the thread members.
Old 17th September 2011, 18:20   #3582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
I have lots of contact phone numbers in Nokia E75 Mobile. I wanted to install in Iphone4. I could down load it to my IMAC. But could not copy paste to my contacts in my iphone.It synchronises with itune but not able to add my contacts. Any help from the thread members.
Copy your contacts to address book on mac
Connect yo iphone to itunes
Click info
Tick sync address
Sync
Old 21st September 2011, 16:54   #3583
BHPian

Finally some good news for iPhone lovers. iPhone5 getting launched on October 5th by Tim Cooks.

AllThingsD: Apple CEO Tim Cook to unveil iPhone 5 at October 4 media event | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
Old 21st September 2011, 18:38   #3584
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard (that's all- nothing more ) of "Jailbreaking" an iPhone.
Can't a Jailbroken iPhone have Java installed?
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:58   #3585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Finally some good news for iPhone lovers. iPhone5 getting launched on October 5th by Tim Cooks.

AllThingsD: Apple CEO Tim Cook to unveil iPhone 5 at October 4 media event | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
Too much of speculations going on, i feel its going to be an upgraded iPhone 4 or 4S rather than 5 with iOS 5 that is going to come out. An iPod touch 3G also being rumored.

Most Viewed