Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 10:35   #3616
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Damp Squib!! Im sure many people were expecting a revolutionary Iphone 5 with larger screen,64Gb option, dual core processor, Holograph projector etc. :-) And seeing apple's plans for India (Or lack of plans), Samsung is definitely the way to go.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 10:36   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Re: No iPhone 5, Time For The iPhone 4S!

Apologies to Apple fans, but i am from one of the Apple haters camp, not because their products are bad (in fact i love apple products), but they are just priced ridiculous (especially in India). A similar featured Andriod or even a better spec Andriod will cost much less and iPhone 4, on top of that arrogance on keeping the device so closed that its practically impossible to customize it the way you want.

I choose Android after a lot of deliberations and trials and with the way apple is going i don't see myself buying anything from apple in near/far future.

They still dont have any plans of Indian launch, this is hard to digest, iPhone 4 came almost a year after its international launch.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:46   #3618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Apologies to Apple fans, but i am from one of the Apple haters camp, not because their products are bad (in fact i love apple products), but they are just priced ridiculous (especially in India).
To draw parallels in the automotive sector in India- Honda.

Beautiful machines, totally user friendly - but they got carried away by the premium 'Honda' can command. Competition has made sure Honda is back on their feet though.

I bet same will happen to Apple. More and more competition will bring them back on the ground. After all, how long can they survive by lawsuits and patents?

iphone 4s, IMO has been a major disappointment across forums that i usually scroll through.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th October 2011 at 11:00.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:47   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Disappointed !!

It feels like the VW just launched the Breeze !

Time to go and get that S2 now.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:56   #3620
Senior - BHPian

NOOOO Gautam,

What is the iPhone 4S's unlocked price? It should give you a RICHER user experience than the S2 - what is wrong? Why are you so disappointed? What's the big deal? Its still a pretty darned good phone with a lovely OS and good ecosystem!
Old 5th October 2011, 11:18   #3621
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using my IP4 for over a year now and loved it. But the 4S is a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting not just the A5 processor but a bigger screen, ibuilt-in GPS maps (like Nokia) not the assisted GPS we have currently. Will I upgrade? Honestly, I don't know - a 50-50 chance as of now depending how 4S reviews turn out. I may even choose to switch over to Android or even shift to the Nokia camp again once their WP7 phones are launched.

Cheers!
Old 5th October 2011, 11:20   #3622
Senior - BHPian

"iPhone 4S will come with both GSM and CDMA radios built-in, making it a world phone which can work on any carrier's network without any changes required

Says the article in Times of India, seems like an unlock will not be required? Also, is the price of 199$ on contract? Or off the shelf? Because if it's off the shelf, I'm more than ok with someone getting me one from the states and I pay them for it here.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:37   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Also, is the price of 199$ on contract?
Dude!

The $199 is on contract. When they launch in India, I guess it will hover around 30K without contract.

Also, there is an imminent price drop on older model, we need to wait and see what will be the price reduction in Indian markets.

The new feature, Siri is making me go bonkers. I hope they launch in India at least by the end of this year.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:28   #3624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dude!

The $199 is on contract. When they launch in India, I guess it will hover around 30K without contract.

Also, there is an imminent price drop on older model, we need to wait and see what will be the price reduction in Indian markets.

The new feature, Siri is making me go bonkers. I hope they launch in India at least by the end of this year.
OK, so what does on Contract mean? Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm blank in this respect.
Old 5th October 2011, 13:55   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
OK, so what does on Contract mean? Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm blank in this respect.

Contract means that you will be in contract with one of the Telecom Carriers like AT&T , Verizon etc.

This contract is usually of 2 years and if you choose to discontinue with their service before 2 years you have to pay some amount in "settlement".

In case of Verizon you pay $199 for iPhone4 at the start of the contract and in case you don't want to continue with them after 6 months , you $350 as early termination fees .
So in above mentioned scenario iPhone4 costed you $550 + it is Locked for the carrier.
Hope this helps
prashant.dinkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 14:46   #3626
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
My call quality problems (people I call are unable to hear me at the other end) with the iPhone 4 resurfaced last week and I had the mobilewalla change the mic strip again. However, he says that the problems could also be due to the software. Can this be a reason or is he trying to wriggle out of repairing the phone correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Done that already, the issue still persists. I have also changed the simcard more due to some other reasons.
I thought the issue has to be the mic, but that has already been replaced. What else could be the issue?

It is under warranty but bought in France. As a last resort I will try to return it in France, but will need to figure out how as I dont travel there anytime soon.

Worldwide warranty is not offered on the iPhone and Apple here only services phones that are bought in India
3 months later the same problems exist and the mobilewala has now given up. My warranty is gone too, so now I will be left with what is essentially an iPod. Any reliable place in India which can fix an Iph 4 that was not bought here?

Time to go in for the S2.
Old 5th October 2011, 17:04   #3627
BANNED

What do you guys think the iphone 4 will cost in india once the iphone 4s rolls out with a 30k+ price tag?
Old 5th October 2011, 17:09   #3628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
What do you guys think the iphone 4 will cost in india once the iphone 4s rolls out with a 30k+ price tag?
Should be in a range of 23K - 26K, considering the other competitors in the market.

- Irish
Old 5th October 2011, 17:11   #3629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I think you can buy iPhone4 factory unlocked from HK or Singapore for some 20-25k INR after 2-3 months.
My Brother bought an iPhone4 factory unlocked 32 GB white in HK for some 32K INR before 3 months.
Hope you will get it damn cheaper in future for sure.
Old 5th October 2011, 17:50   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Disappointed !!
Time to go and get that S2 now...
It will be wise decision though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I think you can buy iPhone4 factory unlocked from HK or Singapore for some 20-25k INR after 2-3 months.
And it will go bonkers when Apple releases its next update. Do not even indulge on such things you will on losing side.

Most Viewed