Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 14:42   #3931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy
I just upgraded my wife's iPhone 3GS with baseband 06.15.00 to iOS 5.0.1. Jailbroke and unlocked it too. Only important step to keep in mind is to preserve the baseband while upgrading (which is not possible if you use iTunes to upgrade).

The process was smooth and straightforward, but do not forget to back up before the upgrade so you can restore data later. Loving the new iOS 5 on the old 3GS.
Is push notifications working for you? Mine is not working, right now hunting through various forums to get some answers for the same.
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:33   #3932
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Finally after lots of issues and errors i was finally able to update my iOS from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 preserving my old baseband (4.10.01 - since my iphone 4 is Gevey unlocked) via redsnow. The gevey unlock works like a charm on updated iOS 5.0.1. I also went ahead and applied untethered redsnow jailbreak. As of now enjoying i0S 5.0.1 experience on my iphone 4.

One issue though - ibooks app. crashes after redsnow jailbreak. I tried every fix suggested on the internet but the ibooks app. refuses to run. Anyone having the same issue as me?
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:19   #3933
BHPian

Finally push notifications are working on my jail broken iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1 :-) Now I am able to use the iMessenger to chat with other iPhone users.

If any one is facing the same issue, you need to fix the issue by downloading "SAM" application from Cydia.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:37   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Finally push notifications are working on my jail broken iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1 :-) Now I am able to use the iMessenger to chat with other iPhone users.

If any one is facing the same issue, you need to fix the issue by downloading "SAM" application from Cydia.
Why not install Nimbuzz and chat with everyone on your contact list, instead? I feel this "i" thing is getting very cliched and Apple does all in it's power to connect only with Apple. I think Steve Jobs did not know that 'consanguinity' isn't good for future generations. I hope at least the iPhone 5 connects with other phones instead of having a consanguineous relationship with only other Apple's. To tell the truth I have just two others that I know who have iPhones and can't consider that a crowd to have a private 'kitty' party after going through this jailbreak and all for connecting with them via iMessenger.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd January 2012 at 22:42.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:26   #3935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post

Can you please Provide more information on "SAM".

I looked it up and it get some themes but nothing such as SAM. I am having issues with push notifications such that facebook, whatsapp, etc are not throwing up push notifications which used to come up earlier.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:22   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Can you please Provide more information on "SAM".

I looked it up and it get some themes but nothing such as SAM. I am having issues with push notifications such that facebook, whatsapp, etc are not throwing up push notifications which used to come up earlier.
These are the links I referred to while getting my push notifications fixed
Subscriber Artificial Module
SAM Description
Backup Your iPhone 4 Activation Using SAM, After a Successful Factory Unlock! | TechSliver

Some more links, but this might confuse you
Download SAM to Officially Activate iPhone 4/3GS on iOS 4.3.5 | Jaxov
Push Notifications Not Working on iOS 4.3.3 After Using SAM [How-To Fix] | Jaxov
Fix SAM Error: SIM Card Not Does Not Appear to be Supported | Jaxov

Please PM me if you have any doubts.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 00:26   #3937
BHPian

My iphone 4 turned into a brick yesterday.
I was in the office with the phone in my pocket. All of a sudden the phone got very hot, particularly around the camera lens where it was too hot even to touch. I switched it off immediately and it took an hour to cool off. Then it was dead.
Even on charging, only the apple logo comes nothing else.
Called up Apple support. Tried resetting the phone, nothing worked. Finally they got me to get the phone into recovery mode and restore the iOS5 via itunes. However, could not restore with itunes showing error 23 which according to apple support is a hardware issue which can only be handled at the apple store.
The hitch is that the phone was bought in Kuwait and I have to return it there. I have about 4 months of warranty left to reach Kuwait!
Old 5th January 2012, 09:45   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I was in the office with the phone in my pocket. All of a sudden the phone got very hot, particularly around the camera lens where it was too hot even to touch. I switched it off immediately and it took an hour to cool off. Then it was dead.
Called up Apple support. Tried resetting the phone, nothing worked. Finally they got me to get the phone into recovery mode and restore the iOS5 via itunes. However, could not restore with itunes showing error 23 which according to apple support is a hardware issue which can only be handled at the apple store.
The hitch is that the phone was bought in Kuwait and I have to return it there. I have about 4 months of warranty left to reach Kuwait!
By any chance you had an app for flash light? I felt the area around the camera becomes way too heated up when such a app is used for longer time. It happened to me once on my Iphone 4.

I turned off the phone to cool it out, and never had any issues.

May be the over heat might have damaged some components in your case.
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 15:34   #3939
BHPian

I do have the flashlight app but it was not on at the time the heating happened. It was around 11 am in the morning. I dont know if it had accidentally got on. I too think the overheat might have damaged the components because it was really hot.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:08   #3940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally they got me to get the phone into recovery mode and restore the iOS5 via itunes. However, could not restore with itunes showing error 23 which according to apple support is a hardware issue which can only be handled at the apple store.
Definitely not a hardware issue if its getting into recovery and restoring. I can help if you are in BLR. Or else just google up itunes error 23 and start the R&D. Am sure this has something to do with the iTunes to PC or to apple server issue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:38   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Sad to hear your issue. Did some googling and came up with this. Try before you fly to Kuwait.

Bypass iTunes ERROR (23) - xSellize
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:42   #3942
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Sad to hear your issue. Did some googling and came up with this. Try before you fly to Kuwait.

Before this try installing itunes again and use the OE cable to restore from DFU mode.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:52   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

What would be a good price for a 16month, good condition old 32gb Iphone 4?

Also, for a 1 month old Iphone 4s 64 GB?
Old 5th January 2012, 18:12   #3944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Guys,

What would be a good price for a 16month, good condition old 32gb Iphone 4?

Also, for a 1 month old Iphone 4s 64 GB?
32gig IP4- 25-27k inr
64gig IP4S- As good as gold

But i assume you are buying it elsewhere, so check out local info for this.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:42   #3945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Definitely not a hardware issue if its getting into recovery and restoring. I can help if you are in BLR. Or else just google up itunes error 23 and start the R&D. Am sure this has something to do with the iTunes to PC or to apple server issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Before this try installing itunes again and use the OE cable to restore from DFU mode.
I had done a bit of googling. What I got was, error 23 is a hardware issue, some kind of a radio failure where wifi,bluetooth,3g wont work and the serial number, imei etc wont appear on itunes. However some sites did say it could be a PC issue or PC-itunes issue also.
It goes upto restore the phone. Then the bar appears on itunes saying extracting software and immediately next, itunes shows up a box saying error 23.
I had used the OE cable, reinstalled the itunes and also tried on a different laptop and desktop. All showed up the same error 23. Finally I called support, he said it is a hardware issue and I have to give to to a Apple centre.
Luckily my bro's friend is leaving for Kuwait the day after. I have given it to him to deliver it to my brother in Kuwait. Hope I get a replacement.

Most Viewed