Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 13:26   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
My 3G plan says 3p/10kb for 3G and 10p/10kb for 2G, why so.
May be its all in the browsing time. 10kb in 2G and 30kb in 3G cost same and take the same time to download. LOL!!..
Quote:
coz of the battery drain issue I keep cellular data and 3G in off mode
I get one full day with moderate calls, and cellular data ON all the time, and mail sync set to most frequent.

I think wi-fi drains battery more. Also 3G, but haven't yet experienced 3G, for a whole day.

btw, how long does your phone last with cellular data and 3G off? (I guess its 4/4S? )
Old 4th February 2012, 15:07   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
May be its all in the browsing time. 10kb in 2G and 30kb in 3G cost same and take the same time to download. LOL!!..

I get one full day with moderate calls, and cellular data ON all the time, and mail sync set to most frequent.

I think wi-fi drains battery more. Also 3G, but haven't yet experienced 3G, for a whole day.

btw, how long does your phone last with cellular data and 3G off? (I guess its 4/4S? )
Mine is a iPhone 4 on iOS 5. I'm on a 3G data plan of Aircel. One funny thing is when the inside buildings where the connectivity isn't that good it automatically goes into EDGE mode and I get charged for the connectivity. What an innovative way to make money. I get around 1.5 to 2 days with 3G switched off. With 3G on the whole day my Nokia N8 used to last half a day it's battery life is way better than the iPhone 4. Haven't tried it with iPhone 4. Will give it a try and post.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 4th February 2012 at 15:10.
Old 5th February 2012, 14:24   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
With 3G on the whole day my Nokia N8 used to last half a day it's battery life is way better than the iPhone 4. Haven't tried it with iPhone 4. Will give it a try and post.
The battery life for iPhone 4 with 3G/EDGE always on is not that bad as well. In my case i always got a battery life of approximately 9-10 hours, that too after 9-10 hours battery never completely went dead. The percentage was below 20%

I am reporting the above stats for my Redsn0w jailbroken iphone 4 (5.0.1). Try this on non-jailbreak iphone and your battery life will improve further more, since its a known fact that Redsn0w drains the battery significantly.
Old 5th February 2012, 14:54   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain

The battery life for iPhone 4 with 3G/EDGE always on is not that bad as well. In my case i always got a battery life of approximately 9-10 hours, that too after 9-10 hours battery never completely went dead. The percentage was below 20%

I am reporting the above stats for my Redsn0w jailbroken iphone 4 (5.0.1). Try this on non-jailbreak iphone and your battery life will improve further more, since its a known fact that Redsn0w drains the battery significantly.
Redsn0w doesn't drain the battery. Generally the push notifications doesn't work on jailbroken phones and the phone keeps trying to make the push notification to work which in turn drains the battery. Fix your push notification by the SAM App from Cydia then your battery life will be better.
Old 5th February 2012, 15:59   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Redsn0w doesn't drain the battery. Generally the push notifications doesn't work on jailbroken phones and the phone keeps trying to make the push notification to work which in turn drains the battery. Fix your push notification by the SAM App from Cydia then your battery life will be better.
I beg to differ. Push notifications work perfectly well on a jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1.
Old 5th February 2012, 16:51   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani

I beg to differ. Push notifications work perfectly well on a jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1.
That is if you have a unlocked iPhone, if you are getting an AT&T locked phone to India and then jailbreak it, the push notification will not work. Search for hactivation and then you will get a clear picture.
Old 5th February 2012, 21:38   #4042
BHPian

I have an iPhone 4 bought from the US. Unfortunately it has a bb 4.11.08 which is unlockable. Does anyone have any idea what can be done about it. Is there anyone from Airtel / Vodaphone who could unlock the phone. This is not a factory unlocked phone too.
Old 5th February 2012, 21:58   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull
I have an iPhone 4 bought from the US. Unfortunately it has a bb 4.11.08 which is NOT unlockable. Does anyone have any idea what can be done about it. Is there anyone from Airtel / Vodaphone who could unlock the phone. This is not a factory unlocked phone too.
I'm sorry, don't think it can be unlocked, even with a Gevey, nor can airtel and Vodafone do the unlocking.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:41   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Actually, even I have updated my iOS to 5xx, and I'm facing the same issue. Not regularly, but occasionally.

I have put the ~glass sound for message, and its funny to hear it fizz out.

Please do update if you find something useful in this regard.

- Dhanush
Got an update for you. I took my phone to the Imagine store in Forum mall and they asked me to visit their service centre (which services Apple products) and they confirmed it is a issue with the iOS 5.0.1 patch. It seems it will be rectified in the next release.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:41   #4045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull
I have an iPhone 4 bought from the US. Unfortunately it has a bb 4.11.08 which is unlockable. Does anyone have any idea what can be done about it. Is there anyone from Airtel / Vodaphone who could unlock the phone. This is not a factory unlocked phone too.
As of now there is no unlock available for this baseband. But there is some hope for you in the sense that applenberry will be launching new version of gevey sim to unlock this baseband. But that will not happen before march this year, only after the release of iOS 5.1 and this news is confirmed. So I suggest you to keep patience and wait until march and please don't try and update your phone via iTunes under any circumstances.

All the best
Old 5th February 2012, 23:38   #4046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Got an update for you. I took my phone to the Imagine store in Forum mall and they asked me to visit their service centre (which services Apple products) and they confirmed it is a issue with the iOS 5.0.1 patch. It seems it will be rectified in the next release.
Hi IronH4WK,

Well, I had my 'text tone' set to 'glass', when I had the issue, but now, I have set it to 'Calypso' and strangely, i don't have any issue, with any text or any notifications. It just sounds once, correctly. I don't understand the logic, but still its working fine for me, now.

Worth trying out, I guess.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:52   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
My iphone 4 turned into a brick yesterday.
I was in the office with the phone in my pocket. All of a sudden the phone got very hot, particularly around the camera lens where it was too hot even to touch. I switched it off immediately and it took an hour to cool off. Then it was dead.
Even on charging, only the apple logo comes nothing else.
Called up Apple support. Tried resetting the phone, nothing worked. Finally they got me to get the phone into recovery mode and restore the iOS5 via itunes. However, could not restore with itunes showing error 23 which according to apple support is a hardware issue which can only be handled at the apple store.
The hitch is that the phone was bought in Kuwait and I have to return it there. I have about 4 months of warranty left to reach Kuwait!

My phone is back after its roundtrip to Kuwait. It was repaired and is working fine now. Apparently the "charger IC" was burnt.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:34   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to know on the Aircel data service.I am presently on Vodafone 2G . Most of the times its wi-fi for me ,so 3G isnt much of use .

I am not very happy with the Vodafone service -dropped calls,no data,echos,...

Yesterday I came across some interesting data plans with Aircel .I am considering using MNP to Aircel .

Just wanted to know as to how is the data connectivity ?

BTW I have a 4S ,on OS version 9A406. The OE 405 version had been causing network connectivity issues .

Last edited by speedsatya : 7th February 2012 at 16:36.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:15   #4049
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
Wanted to know on the Aircel data service.I am presently on Vodafone 2G . Most of the times its wi-fi for me ,so 3G isnt much of use .

Yesterday I came across some interesting data plans with Aircel .I am considering using MNP to Aircel .

BTW I have a 4S ,on OS version 9A406. The OE 405 version had been causing network connectivity issues .
What issues are there on the 9A405 one. I have a 9A405 version.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:36   #4050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

I use a Airtel Prepaid and an 2G Monthly Top Up - Works fine for 99Rs / 1 GB.

About the 9A406 - How do you switch to that? I run on a 405 and have some issues on voice clarity / Irrititating Trrrring Sound - Apple customer care is clueless on that!

Most Viewed