Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 11:33   #4066
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Booked two train tickets on the www.irctc.co.in/mobile site on the iPhone yesterday as the desktop version was taking a very looong time to load. It worked like a dream and have book marked it on Safari. Doesn't the Google browser app for iPhone 4 have a bookmarking facility?
Old 15th February 2012, 13:46   #4067
BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy an i-phone now that my faithful Omnia (1st gen) has gone kaput. Any help on pricing / where I can buy one from. Obviously the 44k India version is over priced.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:14   #4068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Guys, I am looking to buy an i-phone now that my faithful Omnia (1st gen) has gone kaput. Any help on pricing / where I can buy one from. Obviously the 44k India version is over priced.

The 4S 16GB costs 44K INR .You could look at the older models which are cheaper .

You wouldnt get warranty or service on phones bought outside India !
Old 15th February 2012, 19:15   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Booked two train tickets on the www.irctc.co.in/mobile site on the iPhone yesterday as the desktop version was taking a very looong time to load. It worked like a dream and have book marked it on Safari. Doesn't the Google browser app for iPhone 4 have a bookmarking facility?
If you are concerned about warranty then you will have to buy 4/4S from India. 4S starting from 44K and 4 8GB for 37K.

If you want a used phone the 4 16GB is for 23K and 32GB is for 26K. 4S 16GB should be around 37K.

I highly advise you buy a factory unlocked version only.

If you can source it from UK/US/HK, the UK is cheapest if you get a VAT refund, in US it is available for $700 while HK is the cheapest at 32-34K INR.
Old 16th February 2012, 14:50   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
You wouldnt get warranty or service on phones bought outside India !
satya, the indian official price is way to high more like exorbitant. besides if you get a a factory unlocked one from aboard wont an international warranty be available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
If you can source it from UK/US/HK, the UK is cheapest if you get a VAT refund, in US it is available for $700 while HK is the cheapest at 32-34K INR.
HK seems to be a better option.

Any specific band (e.g. bb 4.11) to look for?
Old 16th February 2012, 17:32   #4071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
besides if you get a a factory unlocked one from aboard wont an international warranty be available?
Like DSLRs, iPhones have country specific warranties. You would need to take it back to the country of purchase for warranty repair or replacement.

Also, note that the IP will not be repaired by Apple and its authorised service agents, even paid repairs, if it is not purchased in the country of use.

There are many IP users on TBHP who have had this experience.

Consider these points before purchasing an IP abroad. If the warranty doesn't matter to you then all is ok.

Cheers!
Old 16th February 2012, 20:09   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
HK seems to be a better option.

Any specific band (e.g. bb 4.11) to look for?

That is the best part about factory unlocked phones, the baseband is irrelevant. JB or no JB, the phone will always work
Old 16th February 2012, 21:41   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
satya, the indian official price is way to high more like exorbitant. besides if you get a a factory unlocked one from aboard wont an international warranty be available? HK seems to be a better option. Any specific band (e.g. bb 4.11) to look for?
I'm saddled with 'nonworking' a Seagate 1TB HDD which has its warranty intact till 2015, just because I bought it in Singapore. I swore to never buy stuff from abroad, especially electronics. If you are in luck it will serve you well, if not you will have an iPhone paper weight. Problem is if you send it over there, for repairs, they will deliver it to the local address of the country of purchase only and not deliver it to you in India.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:30   #4074
BHPian

The Problem with Local warranty is only with iPhone. The rest of the Apple line up do get International warranty, if the product is already launched there.
And Apple is good in after sales service. Just curious - Has any one faced any problems regarding service?

Last edited by jaaz : 17th February 2012 at 22:32.
Old 18th February 2012, 13:08   #4075
Senior - BHPian

This phone is so damn good and touch sensitivity is so good, I'm doing on the phone what I used to do on my desk top PC before. I booked two train tickets, 2 days ago, and just paid my Photon + bill and got a 'snap shot' of the receipt for reference.
Old 18th February 2012, 13:39   #4076
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I need a windshield mount for my iPhone 3GS. Does anyone have suggestions on a good quality product that I could buy in India or the US?
Old 18th February 2012, 14:38   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Guys, I need a windshield mount for my iPhone 3GS. Does anyone have suggestions on a good quality product that I could buy in India or the US?
I am using one from Kensington for my iPhone 3GS for an year. Never faced any issues, got it from US.
Old 18th February 2012, 16:11   #4078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Am using Capdase 2 x 1 which i picked up from apple reseller in india. Pricey at 1500 but holds two devices, sturdy and great finish.
Old 18th February 2012, 16:20   #4079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
This phone is so damn good and touch sensitivity is so good, I'm doing on the phone what I used to do on my desk top PC before. I booked two train tickets, 2 days ago, and just paid my Photon + bill and got a 'snap shot' of the receipt for reference.
Just wanted to ask one thing: Do you have 3G on your phone? I am thinking of getting a 3G on my phone. I currently have a 2G network which is good only for Whatsapp and other IM's. But opening a website takes a lot of time. You mentioned you paid bills etc on your phone itself - I was wondering whether you did on 2G/3G/Wifi...
Old 18th February 2012, 17:19   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Just wanted to ask one thing: Do you have 3G on your phone? I am thinking of getting a 3G on my phone. I currently have a 2G network which is good only for Whatsapp and other IM's. But opening a website takes a lot of time. You mentioned you paid bills etc on your phone itself - I was wondering whether you did on 2G/3G/Wifi...
I use a Aircel 3G connection, better get 3G otherwise it doesn't do justice to the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-photo-copy.png  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th February 2012 at 17:30.

Most Viewed