Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 10:18   #4186
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Dropped my iPhone 4S today , Was taking it out of the pocket and it slipped . Screen is shattered but phone is still working along with the touch interface.

Bought it for 45K, exactly 1 month back . My heart is bleeding for my 45k .
What are my options can I get it repaired if yes how much will it cost or should I sell it off "as it is" . I am in delhi

Please help
It would be the touch screen that would have shattered? Not the LCD. You should get it replaced. My Motorola Defy had the same issue. But the touch glass replaced is not air tight and some dust has gone onto the LCD.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:27   #4187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>Meanwhile I have the 4S!

Regards
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the phone, so you have the 64GB unit like me. A word of advice - please buy a protective bumper case for the phone. The front and back are made of gorilla glass but will shatter on strong impacts. I think prashant.dinkar has had that unfortunate experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
My heart won me over my mind. Today I'm back home after work with my new IP4S 32 GB. This is my first ever Apple product and it already looks appealing to me
Congrats Joe. Normally the heart does win over the mind with Apple products.

Quote:
Did you buy the 64 GB IP4S? Cool.

Even I was told that the IP4S has a 1 year international warranty and if I have to extend it for another year, I have to do so within the first year.

I'm not sure how the battery holds up with a full charge. At the Apple store, I was told that the battery would just last for a day when the IP4S is used heavily. It was always a problem for me with the Android devices as the battery drained out very quickly. But I hope the IP4S would be much better than that.
I've already recounted my experiences with the IP4s v/s my Android, hope you had a chance to read it.

The IP4s does NOT have an international warranty, whoever has told you that is making misleading statements. Please read the fine print for IP warranties issued by Apple India. Apple service centres will NOT touch an iPhone purchased outside India. There is the experience of a IP4 user here (selfdrive) who was turned by these centres when his IP had a microphone related issue.

Battery life - The IP4s fares very slightly better than my Android phone, but my 'droid is definitely heavier on the battery courtesy the larger screen and faster CPU. The IP4s will go a max of 2 days without charge with very, and I mean very light use. Normally you will need to charge it every day.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:29   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy the 64 GB IP4S? Cool.

Even I was told that the IP4S has a 1 year international warranty and if I have to extend it for another year, I have to do so within the first year.

I'm yet to use a micro SIM. Will have to wait till the weekend. But I already started downloading apps from the store and my initial experience with the UI is really amazing. The typing experience is miles better than Android. I remember with my Samsung Galaxy (with Android 1.5) typing text in an urgency was possible with errors. But with IP4S, it is flawless and I'm able to type content quicker without any mistakes. I like that very much.

I'm not sure how the battery holds up with a full charge. At the Apple store, I was told that the battery would just last for a day when the IP4S is used heavily. It was always a problem for me with the Android devices as the battery drained out very quickly. But I hope the IP4S would be much better than that.

Please post your experiences as well with your new IP4S.
>>>

I bought the 64 GB version. The idea was to store my interesting stuff (music primarily and the ability for good playback) and all of my professional and personal contacts in one easy to spot place when I am on the move. GPS usability was another criterion. I wanted something which would be simple and easy to use.

I do not have wireless internet access at home and so I will be dependent on my new Vodafone 3G connexion, for whatever its worth in terms of speed.

Re. battery, I have been told by the people in the store that you have to charge it for (just) 45 minutes for a full recharge.

I have noticed that the user manual has significant gaps in information and it does not have visuals - not very user friendly at all!

Will keep you posted.

Regards
Old 6th March 2012, 11:41   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the phone, so you have the 64GB unit like me. A word of advice - please buy a protective bumper case for the phone. The front and back are made of gorilla glass but will shatter on strong impacts. I think prashant.dinkar has had that unfortunate experience.
>>>
Thank you, I hope so too.
Bought two types of protection - one a complete black leather case ( not very smart looking though) and a back protection case (blue, metallic, looks much better).

Both bought from the Apple Store- cost me quite a bit.

Quote:
The IP4s does NOT have an international warranty, whoever has told you that is making misleading statements. Please read the fine print for IP warranties issued by Apple India. Apple service centres will NOT touch an iPhone purchased outside India. There is the experience of a IP4 user here (selfdrive) who was turned by these centres when his IP had a microphone related issue.
>>> Read quite a few posts here on iPhone users who had trying times when their phones went belly up outside their areas of warranty. One has to be careful and if one is faced with that situation, well I will go back to my trusty old warhorse - the E71!

Quote:
Battery life - The IP4s fares very slightly better than my Android phone, but my 'droid is definitely heavier on the battery courtesy the larger screen and faster CPU. The IP4s will go a max of 2 days without charge with very, and I mean very light use. Normally you will need to charge it every day.
>>> I think its all about managing your expectations here. A modern ( > 2005) phone is no longer a phone but a small scale laptop+phone+camera+music system besides. So, during heavy usage, the battery will drain. We have to live with the trade-off of greater convenience afforded in a small, complex machinery vis-avis rapid battery drain. Else we can go back to simpler phones with reduced functionality. Such as the Nokia 5110 (does anyone remember that one?)

{ Battery technologies are also advancing and we may yet see more efficient power usage in future devices coupled with better battery technologies, including inductive charging}

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 6th March 2012 at 11:43. Reason: Added a point
Old 6th March 2012, 13:53   #4190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
>>>
Thank you, I hope so too.
Bought two types of protection - one a complete black leather case ( not very smart looking though) and a back protection case (blue, metallic, looks much better).

Both bought from the Apple Store- cost me quite a bit.
One of the things that I always believed was a good case for a pretty expensive handset. I have been using Otterbox for the past 2 years (with different phones) and am very happy with the quality and durability. Of course that comes at a premium i.e. cost but I found it to the best so far.

Quote:
Read quite a few posts here on iPhone users who had trying times when their phones went belly up outside their areas of warranty. One has to be careful and if one is faced with that situation, well I will go back to my trusty old warhorse - the E71!
In this context I forgot to add here that I had an issue with my IP4's home button and I was told politely but firmly told they wouldn't be able to repair it. I too have an nice Nokia E series as my backup if these touch screen phones fail.

Quote:
I think its all about managing your expectations here. A modern ( > 2005) phone is no longer a phone but a small scale laptop+phone+camera+music system besides. We have to live with the trade-off of greater convenience afforded in a small, complex machinery vis-avis rapid battery drain.
Well put. We can't expect battery life from phones that are no longer phones but 'converged devices'. As for the Nokia 5110 - my bro had one in 1998 or 99 when mobile call charges were Rs 16/min and you had to pay about Rs 10-12 for an incoming call. What an era that was! And mobile phones were actually competing for market space with that gadget called a pager.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:59   #4191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It would be the touch screen that would have shattered? Not the LCD. You should get it replaced. My Motorola Defy had the same issue. But the touch glass replaced is not air tight and some dust has gone onto the LCD.
That is really sad :(

Didnt you have a protective cover on the phone? DO let us know on how much did you have to spend for repairs and the performance post-repairs.

I have a peculiar problem .While the wall charger needs less than a hour to charge from 10% to 100% ,the car charger that I bought from one of the Apple Imagine stores takes ages to charge my phone . I see that it charges just about 10% during a 30 minutes drive . My Blackberry car charger was much better .

Anyone else has any inputs on this ?
Old 6th March 2012, 15:28   #4192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
That is really sad :(

Didnt you have a protective cover on the phone? DO let us know on how much did you have to spend for repairs and the performance post-repairs.

I have a peculiar problem .While the wall charger needs less than a hour to charge from 10% to 100% ,the car charger that I bought from one of the Apple Imagine stores takes ages to charge my phone . I see that it charges just about 10% during a 30 minutes drive . My Blackberry car charger was much better .

Anyone else has any inputs on this ?
I did not have any cover. I spent about Rs.1400.

For your problem, the charger should be having a lesser current rating.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:02   #4193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I did not have any cover. I spent about Rs.1400.

For your problem, the charger should be having a lesser current rating.
Okay lemme check the rating . I got this charger from the Apple store
Old 6th March 2012, 16:43   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Okay lemme check the rating . I got this charger from the Apple store
My Pioneer HU charges my IP4 pretty quick. In my 15 minutes drive to office, the charge is up by almost 30%. I use the ipod data cable that comes along plugged into the USB port of HU.

Last edited by mashmash : 6th March 2012 at 16:44.
Old 6th March 2012, 17:07   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Normally the heart does win over the mind with Apple products.
And as one starts using, the mind follows too
Apple does put in a lot of thought into the design and usability of its products and, over time, it really shows. It's hard to go back to another brand afterwards.
Orko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 17:56   #4196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
And as one starts using, the mind follows too
Apple does put in a lot of thought into the design and usability of its products and, over time, it really shows. It's hard to go back to another brand afterwards.
And believe me, I've used a lot of mobiles in my life. Just too many to count starting in 1999-00 - none have been as beautifully made as the current IP4/4s, the original Motorola Razr (2004) takes 2nd place followed very closely by the current Motorola Razr Android version. The current Moto Razr had a lot to live up to and it does in nearly all ways. I am a real fan of quality construction - mainly handsets made of glass and/or metal with minimal use of plastics.

Oh those Apple Macbook Air and Pro machines are delicious. My bro has the 17" Macbook Pro and I was over the moon when I used it. The back of the screen i.e. the lid, is made of brushed aluminium instead of the normal high impact plastic found on other laptops. Apple displays are in a class apart.
Old 6th March 2012, 19:15   #4197
BHPian

>>>

Pity the Germans (read Siemens) could not compete with the lower cost to build handsets and sold out. For products designed to fulfill performance features and quality of build, there is almost nothing to beat them. The high end Nokia handsets are pretty tough too. My E71 is about four years old and good for many more.
Old 7th March 2012, 01:03   #4198
BHPian

My first ever mobile phone was Siemens ME 45. It was as sturdy as it could be and it served me for about 4 years and I used it to its limit.

Back to IP4S. Is there a way I can use a weather app which I could set as my home screen? Is the home screen customizable?

Is there a way to buy apps from the app store without a credit card? I do not have any credit card with me. But I would like to buy the Navigon app. Any alternative means of payment?

Last edited by joe1980 : 7th March 2012 at 01:08.
Old 7th March 2012, 02:13   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
My first ever mobile phone was Siemens ME 45. It was as sturdy as it could be and it served me for about 4 years and I used it to its limit.

Back to IP4S. Is there a way I can use a weather app which I could set as my home screen? Is the home screen customizable?

Is there a way to buy apps from the app store without a credit card? I do not have any credit card with me. But I would like to buy the Navigon app. Any alternative means of payment?
For weather on the home screen, you need to jailbreak and you will get plenty apps through cydia, and you can also download any app for free. The weather app on home screen is not possible without jailbreak.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:45   #4200
BHPian

Can you please elaborate on Jailbreaking? Is that against the warranty?

Most Viewed