Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 17:41   #4306
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Is Viber the same as Skype? If yes, what good it offers that Skype does not?
Old 17th March 2012, 17:57   #4307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is Viber the same as Skype? If yes, what good it offers that Skype does not?
Viber isn't same as Skype. Skype is an IM, where as viber, I guess is an VOIP like app, that lets you make free calls and SMS's to the phone number.

Functionally, as viber lets you dial and call to the same phone number, its more convenient. More over, you can send free SMS's over the net. The interface is exactly like the iphone, unlike Skype, which has its own interface.
Old 17th March 2012, 20:41   #4308
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : some basic queries

>>>

A couple of queries re. the 4S :

1. How can one 'arrange/select' the icons on the home screen once you press the home button? Once you press the home button and slide your finger from left to right to unlock, you get all the icons. What if I want a less cluttered look with just those icons that I use most of the time- such as Messages, Phone, Music and so on?

2. Can I move the Contact icon to my home screen from Utilities? Currently I have to swipe the screen to go to the next screen, tap on Utilities to get access to Contact

3. Is there a voice recording mechanism in the 4S? If I have to record someone talking how do I do that?

4. More of a remark really, I find the placement of the cursor a bit fiddly, when you have to correct a word written earlier and which is a few words to the left on the screen to where the cursor is... any resolution?

Regards
Old 17th March 2012, 22:42   #4309
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : some basic queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

1. How can one 'arrange/select' the icons on the home screen once you press the home button? Once you press the home button and slide your finger from left to right to unlock, you get all the icons. What if I want a less cluttered look with just those icons that I use most of the time- such as Messages, Phone, Music and so on?

2. Can I move the Contact icon to my home screen from Utilities? Currently I have to swipe the screen to go to the next screen, tap on Utilities to get access to Contact

3. Is there a voice recording mechanism in the 4S? If I have to record someone talking how do I do that?

4. More of a remark really, I find the placement of the cursor a bit fiddly, when you have to correct a word written earlier and which is a few words to the left on the screen to where the cursor is... any resolution?

Regards

Hold down any icon, they will start to wiggle, then you can delete, arrange, group whatever you want to do across the springboard.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:37   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis
>>>

Regards
To add to the above point that explains your query 1 and 2.
Yes you can make folders or similar apps by dropping them over each other. I have segregated each screen to different genre of work mood, one screen for games, another for books, news so on and so forth.

3. There is an inbuilt app for voice recorder, I haven't tried if it captures the telephonic call.

4. If you hold the fingure to text the magnifier bubble comes up and it simplifies things, movement is smooth, you will get pro with time,
Old 18th March 2012, 09:35   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11
Hi all

I just got a iPhone 4S in delhi. I have a vodafone corporate post paid connection. What dataplan do you guys recommend. I am vary of 3g due to billing issues i have heard about. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Elito
I have iphone4 with corporate connection. I opted for 3gb plan for 800 rupees on vodafone. Enjoying it.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:38   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Hold down any icon, they will start to wiggle, then you can delete, arrange, group whatever you want to do across the springboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
To add to the above point that explains your query 1 and 2.
Yes you can make folders or similar apps by dropping them over each other. I have segregated each screen to different genre of work mood, one screen for games, another for books, news so on and so forth.

3. There is an inbuilt app for voice recorder, I haven't tried if it captures the telephonic call.

4. If you hold the fingure to text the magnifier bubble comes up and it simplifies things, movement is smooth, you will get pro with time,
>>>

Thank you gentlemen.

Regards
Old 18th March 2012, 12:00   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Viber isn't same as Skype. Skype is an IM, where as viber, I guess is an VOIP like app, that lets you make free calls and SMS's to the phone number.

Functionally, as viber lets you dial and call to the same phone number, its more convenient. More over, you can send free SMS's over the net. The interface is exactly like the iphone, unlike Skype, which has its own interface.
Thanks for the information. I guess the number that I'm calling should also have Viber installed. Correct me if I'm wrong? Does it also need a ata plan when making calls? Since you have mentioned that it oes nothing more than a VOIP, it requires an internet connection to be available in order to make calls.

I've already installed Viber. I have not yet tried calling anyone yet.

Last edited by joe1980 : 18th March 2012 at 12:02.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:16   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980

Thanks for the information. I guess the number that I'm calling should also have Viber installed. Correct me if I'm wrong? Does it also need a ata plan when making calls? Since you have mentioned that it oes nothing more than a VOIP, it requires an internet connection to be available in order to make calls.

I've already installed Viber. I have not yet tried calling anyone yet.
Yes the number you are calling should have Viber installed. Infact from the Viber you can see which all contacts has Viber installed. You need to have data/wifi for Viber to work.
Old 18th March 2012, 18:04   #4315
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : Sygic related

>>>

I want to know about Sygic, for India. How effective is Sygic for Indian cities, for long distance drives, for locating key points such as hospitals, police stations, shortest distances by time ( due to factors such as updates on road conditions) and so on.

Are periodic updates available easily? Is it downloadable on a 3G connexion easily and so on and so forth.

Inputs and advice much appreciated.

Regards
Old 18th March 2012, 19:16   #4316
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : small points?

Quote:
>>>

Thank you gentlemen.

Regards
>>>

cruiser@0523,sn1p3r,

Although I have rationalised the icons on the screen based on my convenience and ease of use, I see a couple of strange 'aberrations', are these normal in the iPhone or is my cell acting up? This wasn't there before I rationalised the icons.

i. One icon (just one icon), for example the mail icon does not display although its label does; when I moved it to the utilities folder, one of the many icons there - there are currently 12 icons there- just one icon doesn't show, for example it was the apple store a minute ago. Now when I opened the cell the calculator icon is not showing although the label is

ii. To go from screen #1 to #2 to #3 either I swipe or I tap on the small dots below; however if I want to return tapping on the dots doesn't work, the only way is to swipe back

iii. Re. voice recorder, my query was to find out if I could capture a conversation and not necessarily a voice call - I will have to check this app

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 18th March 2012 at 19:17.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:20   #4317
BHPian

Quote:

i. One icon (just one icon), for example the mail icon does not display although its label does....

I think this seems a UI issue for you. Did you try restarting the iPhone?

ii. ... return tapping on the dots doesn't work, the only way is to swipe back

Did you try tapping on the small magnifying glass? That seems to work on me.

iii. Re. voice recorder, my query was to find out if I could capture a conversation and not necessarily a voice call - I will have to check this app

I think it records your voice as well as your callers voice. Do correct me if I'm wrong after you've had a chance to check.

Regards
Hi, comments inline.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:21   #4318
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : Sygic related

Quote:
>>>

I want to know about Sygic, for India. How effective is Sygic for Indian cities, for long distance drives, for locating key points such as hospitals, police stations, shortest distances by time ( due to factors such as updates on road conditions) and so on.

Are periodic updates available easily? Is it downloadable on a 3G connexion easily and so on and so forth.

Inputs and advice much appreciated.

Regards
I use Sygic on my IP4s and Android - it's the best you can get. Sygic uses MMI maps which is great for POI and inter state/inter city travel. They last updated the app a month ago, not sure if the map got a delta update as well. MMI is now out with ver 7. Google maps is very good as well but you need to be in coverage areas with fast preferably 3G connectivity all the time for a seamless experience.

Regards,
Old 18th March 2012, 21:08   #4319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
I agree with Vinod. You need to simply reset I.e., press power + home button for 10 sec and then it auto resets. You can do all that you stated as earlier. I never tried, let us know while you play along on a call to your dear service provider helpline
Old 18th March 2012, 21:21   #4320
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : small points?

Quote:
>>>

cruiser@0523,sn1p3r,

Although I have rationalised the icons on the screen based on my convenience and ease of use, I see a couple of strange 'aberrations', are these normal in the iPhone or is my cell acting up? This wasn't there before I rationalised the icons.
>>>

Re. point i. the calculator icon is not showing despite switching off and powering on the cell four -five times.

Regards

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2012 at 13:28. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks