Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 12:01   #4546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

As it is the upgrade will wipe the jailbreak, so why not?
Time invested in jailbreak and apps, if it's worth your time. Go ahead by all means. Cheers!
Old 30th May 2012, 12:09   #4547
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I have jailbroken the iPad 2 iOS 5.1.1. using Absinthe 2.0.1

My question is does Absinthe 2.0.1 also unlock the 4/4S esp running on latest base bands? I doubt it.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:13   #4548
BHPian

Re: iOS 5.1.1 and jail broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
What was your previous iOS version? Also what was the baseband(Modem Firmware) version?
Please find the details you have asked for:

iPhone Model: iPhone 3GS
Old Base band: 05.13.04
Old iOS version: 5.0.1
Jail broken using Redsn0w 0.9.10b3

Before upgrading to iOS 5.1.1, called up AT&T and got my iPhone unlocked as the mandatory 2 year contract was over.

Base band after upgrade: 05.16.05
Current iOS version: 5.1.1
Jail broken using Absinthe 2.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I have jailbroken the iPad 2 iOS 5.1.1. using Absinthe 2.0.1

My question is does Absinthe 2.0.1 also unlock the 4/4S esp running on latest base bands? I doubt it.
Absinthe 2.0.1 will not unlock any base band, it only will jail break the phone. Please preserve the unlocked base band if you are moving to iOS 5.1.1 Preferred way to preserve base band is to use redSn0w, but I am not sure whether redSn0w has a version released for iOS 5.1.1 yet.

Last edited by nkg77 : 30th May 2012 at 12:33.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:32   #4549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker

The only option available now is to jailbreak (Cydia / Absinthe) - I tried a few free apps, Nothing seem to work.

You jailbreaked a iPhone and Paid for an APP? Don't understand your point of paying when the phone is already jailbreaked! Anyway, i rechecked App Store - It costs 1.99 (Not sure if its the same App that you have!)

That is what I'm confused of : To Jailbreak or Not to - Without JailBreak - I cant install iBlackList
IBlacklist on the app store and iBlacklist on cydia are two different things.

The one on the app store in more of just an app.
Its total crap and disnt work for me.
The one on cydia is a tweak cum app which plays with the functionality of the phone nd filters calls and messages before u receive them.

I dont know what stops you from jailbreaking your device ?
Even if you jailbreak, you wont void the warranty
You just need to connect your phone to itunes and perform a restore, it would erase all the jailbreak data on your phone and it will b back to the factory condition.

Just go ahead and do it.
It will completely change your iphone experience.

Trust me, been using the iphone for quite some time now, first had the 3g then the 3gs and now the 4s, i'd say i cant use my iphone without a jailbreak.
You'll get each and every function on your iphone that you miss and that too for free, for instance
Quick reply of a sms, bluetooth sharing, blacklisting, blocking apps, custom ringtones, custom themes.
You can customise each and everything on your phone and the biggest of them, you can download each and every app on the app store free of cost

Just give it a thought.
What will you lose even if you jailbreak your phone ? Nothing.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:56   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
You jailbreaked a iPhone and Paid for an APP? Don't understand your point of paying when the phone is already jailbreaked! Anyway, i rechecked App Store - It costs 1.99 (Not sure if its the same App that you have!)
Sir, i got what you are trying to say and not sure which app you are referring to. The app. I am referring to is iBlacklist available on cydia store for 11 USD. Regarding your point on paying when the phone is already Jailbroken part, I tried installing it from different repo by adding it in source but the developer of the app. has added 2 layers of security to iblacklist that you do not have any other alternative than buying it if you want to use it. The alternative source from repo. just does not work because of 2 layers of security - 1st layer being providing your email address while purchasing the app. and the email is sent to you from developer side for link to activate. After clicking on email, the 2nd layer, that is security code is sent to your email address that is provided. You need to type in the same code within the app. on the phone to activate your license

All these things above are not possible unless you purchase the app. and if you download without purchasing activating the license isn't that simple

I hope I am clear now!
Old 30th May 2012, 21:31   #4551
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
The one on cydia is a tweak cum app which plays with the functionality of the phone nd filters calls and messages before u receive them.
Downloaded from Cydia but result was not satisfactory. Fed in a no. but calls still came through. Any other option to block calls?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:47   #4552
BHPian

Has anyone bought the iPhone 4S with 3G offer from Airtel? According to their website, if your monthly bill is 2000, you pay only 1000. Thus saving Rs.24000 in 24 months.

I am travelling to US in June and was planning to buy unlocked iPhone 4S from there. 16GB phone price in India is Rs.12000 more compared to US. But if the above offer works well then I guess it is work buying here as I get one year warranty as well.

Any thoughts?

Here is the link which has details about airtel offer:
iPhone price, plans and offers with airtel 3G

Last edited by Selective : 31st May 2012 at 12:52.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:44   #4553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective
Has anyone bought the iPhone 4S with 3G offer from Airtel? According to their website, if your monthly bill is 2000, you pay only 1000. Thus saving Rs.24000 in 24 months.

I am travelling to US in June and was planning to buy unlocked iPhone 4S from there. 16GB phone price in India is Rs.12000 more compared to US. But if the above offer works well then I guess it is work buying here as I get one year warranty as well.

Any thoughts?

Here is the link which has details about airtel offer:
iPhone price, plans and offers with airtel 3G
You can even get any of the plans working on your iphone even if you get a phone from outside.
Atleast thats what aircel offers.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:18   #4554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
You can even get any of the plans working on your iphone even if you get a phone from outside.
Atleast thats what aircel offers.
That's right. If I get the unlocked iPhone from anywhere, i can use it with any of the Indian mobile networks.

Anyone will buy the iPhone 4S from US to save 12000 rupees. But they will loose on 1 yr warranty and even the support for repairs. If something goes wrong, even if someone is willing to pay, apple India wont touch it.

So, if go for this offer with Airtel (iPhone 4S + 3G), even if my monthly bill is 1000, I will save 12000 in 2 yrs which is as good as buying from US. And if my monthly bill 2000, I will cover this amount just in a year!

But, my question is, is there any other hidden trick here or this plan works cleanly without any other issues?

Any one has opted for this option?
Old 31st May 2012, 17:09   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective

That's right. If I get the unlocked iPhone from anywhere, i can use it with any of the Indian mobile networks.

Anyone will buy the iPhone 4S from US to save 12000 rupees. But they will loose on 1 yr warranty and even the support for repairs. If something goes wrong, even if someone is willing to pay, apple India wont touch it.

So, if go for this offer with Airtel (iPhone 4S + 3G), even if my monthly bill is 1000, I will save 12000 in 2 yrs which is as good as buying from US. And if my monthly bill 2000, I will cover this amount just in a year!

But, my question is, is there any other hidden trick here or this plan works cleanly without any other issues?

Any one has opted for this option?
I bought my 4s from Aircel, they offered me bith the postpaid and the prepaid plans.
I took the prepaid plan just because my usage wasn't that much.
And when i calculated, i found out that i would end up paying more if i opted for such a plan.

My monthly bill on vodafone was just around 500-600 at max.

So i went for a prepaid scheme which offered me, 1000 local calls, 300 sms and 500mb data at Rs.297
And i can keep using it as long as i am on aircel.
I can also migrate to a different scheme if my usage increases.

So i ended up saving around rs.200 every month.
Just have to get a sms card recharged for Rs.79 as 300 msgs are just not enough
Old 31st May 2012, 17:22   #4556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik
So i ended up saving around rs.200 every month.
Just have to get a sms card recharged for Rs.79 as 300 msgs are just not enough
something doesn't add up. Are you saving ₹ 200 or ₹ 1000+ 200 to bring down the iPhone's price? Baffled.
Old 31st May 2012, 18:42   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

something doesn't add up. Are you saving ₹ 200 or ₹ 1000+ 200 to bring down the iPhone's price? Baffled.
I just save Rs.200 a month.
It all depends upon the usage.
The more you use the more u save.

The plan i have is a lifetime plan, and i will save all long as i am using my iphone with this connection.

If my usage increases in future, i can migrate to a different plan, saving me some more money.

Presently the one i m using is more than sufficient for me, as i am student.
My needs might change in the future.
Old 31st May 2012, 20:49   #4558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik
Presently the one i m using is more than sufficient for me, as i am student.
My needs might change in the future.
Great, that's a good deal then but not for money crunchers as our friend was calculating it to be ₹ 1000 saving.
The need will change for sure the data plan is too less for 3G. One or two FaceTime calls and you will be all out.
Also there are numerous apps for you to SMS and stay connected. Cheers!
Old 31st May 2012, 22:31   #4559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
One or two FaceTime calls and you will be all out.!
is FaceTime allowed over 3G?
Old 31st May 2012, 23:14   #4560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91

is FaceTime allowed over 3G?
I do not know about India. But here in US, FaceTime is now allowed on 3G.
However, if you have jail broken your iPhone then there are patches available that allows you to do FaceTime on 3G.

Most Viewed