Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 11:23   #4606
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Just a little bit off topic. Anyone here attending the WWDC 2012? What a chance it would be to attend one of these conferences.

Is there a live streaming webcast / vodcast for the WWDC? The Apple website says that the videos of the conference keynote and other talks will be made available at their website after the conference. But I was thinking if there is a live coverage. The 9to5 Mac has a live blog covering the keynote.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:23   #4607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
. But I was thinking if there is a live coverage. The 9to5 Mac has a live blog covering the keynote.
If no entry possible for Junta like us then you can follow up live blog which will be also available on Engadget! Infact when I was following up the Samsung S3 launch through their live blog, the moment the new product was announced, Engadget posted all the details of the product as if they already had all the information.

GSMarena might as well be considered.
Old 12th June 2012, 00:54   #4608
Senior - BHPian

iOS6 has some really nice features. My favourite feature is the new improved phone function. God knows how many times I've pissed people off because I don't call them back. Available this fall.

Apple - iOS 6 Preview
Old 12th June 2012, 00:55   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
iOS6 has some really nice features. My favourite feature is the new improved phone function. God knows how many times I've pissed people off because I don't call them back. Available this fall.

Apple - iOS 6 Preview
And best of all it supports the ageing iphone 3gs as well.
Old 12th June 2012, 00:57   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
And best of all it supports the ageing iphone 3gs as well.
I'm a bit surprised they chose to do that. iOS5 isn't too fast on the 3GS. Not sure how it will handle iOS6.
Old 12th June 2012, 01:14   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak

I'm a bit surprised they chose to do that. iOS5 isn't too fast on the 3GS. Not sure how it will handle iOS6.
IOS 5.1.1 runs very smoothly (better than iOS4) on the iPhone 3GS in my house.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:04   #4612
BHPian

Is the iOS6 a free update on all iOS devices? Does the Maps usable offline unlike Google Maps which require a WiFi or Cellular? It would be awesome if it works offline.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:19   #4613
BHPian

I don't think the new maps will be supported by the 3GS or the iPhone 4 as Maps is integrated with Siri for turn by turn navigation which unfortunately the older devices don't support. What we may get is, a stripped down version of maps.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:38   #4614
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely picked feature list for keynotes.
I am eagerly waiting for the update. However, no number #5 that's a bummer. Samsung will eat the market share and apple will realize it later. The phone has some great features of its own.

iPad 2 left out from Dictation that's rotten Apple.

Cheers!
Old 12th June 2012, 12:13   #4615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate
Upgraded to ios 5.1.1 custom firmware using snowbreeze on iphone4 and unlocked using gevey ultra sim. gevey ultra works automatically and no need of dialling 112.
What's your baseband? Have you preserved your older baseband or was it updated along with the os?

I own an iPhone 4 unlocked with a gevey sim running iOS 5.1 and works fine.

I am trying to unlock my friend's iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 with the baseband 4.11.08 but unfortunately I haven't come across any unlock solution. There is no gevey sim to my knowledge that can unlock this baseband and it's almost been a year since it was released. He is now using it as an iPod tough / gps device. He is also considering paying 6k to a guy in national market BLR to get it factory unlocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:30   #4616
BHPian

Hey guys,

iOS 6 will have Apple's own maps, which is based on Tom Tom's navigational assets.
Does anybody know how good is the coverage of Tom Tom in India, compared to Google maps?

Also, Google maps (even on Android) doesn't offer turn-by-turn navigation in India. So, even though the coverage is bad, the new iOS Maps may offer turn by turn navigation - which is something good to wait for.

Thoughts?
Old 12th June 2012, 15:36   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Hey guys,
Does anybody know how good is the coverage of Tom Tom in India, compared to Google maps?
Thoughts?

IMHO the second best offline map provider is "Map My India" where Google is the obvious first best.

There is one more application (not sure if it's the provider or uses one of the existing maps) "Waze". This has voice navigation and works pretty good in India. However, this is an online map and hence require data connectivity.

Also, I heard that "Sygic" is a good app too (I did not use this). This is offline again so works without data connectivity and has voice navigation. This is available both for iOS and Android.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:46   #4618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post

I am trying to unlock my friend's iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 with the baseband 4.11.08 but unfortunately I haven't come across any unlock solution. There is no gevey sim to my knowledge that can unlock this baseband and it's almost been a year since it was released. He is now using it as an iPod tough / gps device. He is also considering paying 6k to a guy in national market BLR to get it factory unlocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Pri2,

IMHO, there are two things that you can do.

1) AT&T is unlocking iPhone which have completed their contract.
2) Gevey is releasing RSIM (If I'm not wrong) very soon. It might cost around 3.5 K. So you can wait for it.

Currently upto my knowledge, there is no unlock.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:13   #4619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Also, I heard that "Sygic" is a good app too (I did not use this). This is offline again so works without data connectivity and has voice navigation. This is available both for iOS and Android.
Sygic uses MapMyIndia data for their India iOS app. So it is not different.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:16   #4620
BHPian

Hi Gurus, I came across this on ebay iPhone 3GS jailbroken for 8,500 New iPhone 3gs 8gb Black AT&T (Jailbroken) | eBay

I have two questions. 1. Will this iphone be eligible for iOS6 upgrade? 2. Is it legal to use jailbroken hand sets in India. Please advice whether to go for this phone or not.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks