Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 18:45   #4621
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
Hi Gurus, I came across this on ebay iPhone 3GS jailbroken for 8,500 New iPhone 3gs 8gb Black AT&T (Jailbroken) | eBay

I have two questions. 1. Will this iphone be eligible for iOS6 upgrade? 2. Is it legal to use jailbroken hand sets in India. Please advice whether to go for this phone or not.

Thanks in advance
There is nothing called illegal in India as far as iphone is concerned. Only thing, you won't get the warranty for this in India.
Jailbroke and Unlock are two different things in iphone, is it only Jailbroken? ios 6.0 support 3GS, but performance will be a big concern.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:11   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
There is nothing called illegal in India as far as iphone is concerned. Only thing, you won't get the warranty for this in India.
Jailbroke and Unlock are two different things in iphone, is it only Jailbroken? ios 6.0 support 3GS, but performance will be a big concern.
Is there any advantage in buying a used iphone 3GS locally (of course apart from the wear and tear) instead of going for jail broken piece? I mean will there be warranty for the used iPhone buyer in India?
Old 12th June 2012, 20:02   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque

Is there any advantage in buying a used iphone 3GS locally (of course apart from the wear and tear) instead of going for jail broken piece? I mean will there be warranty for the used iPhone buyer in India?
IIRC, AAPL does not sell APP for iPhone in India. I might get corrected here.
So the 3GS would be ending its standard 1 year warranty in any case.
Am not sure if you are mixing jailbreak with unlock. It would be sim unlocked if originally bought in India. You could still jailbreak a piece even if it isn't yet.
What kind of advantages you are looking for?
Old 12th June 2012, 22:53   #4624
BHPian

Quote:

Is there any advantage in buying a used iphone 3GS locally (of course apart from the wear and tear) instead of going for jail broken piece?
SIM Lock: Locking a phone to a particular Carrier s. This means that an iPhone bought in USA may be locked to AT&T (GSM) or Verizon(CDMA). In order to use such phone with a different Carrier Viz. Airtel, you need to get it unlocked either using a software (Ultrasnow) or hardware(Gevey).

Jailbreak: Apple has restricted installation of applications, themes etcetera from sources other than Apple Store.

Jailbreaking gives you the access to the root of the operating system. This would allow you to install additional applications from other sources (Viz. Cydia).

This means that phones bought in India (not imported from other countries) would function perfectly fine without jailbreak.

Note: Software unlock and Jailbreak would be lost once you upgrade your phone's IOS. Hardware unlock totally depends upon the compatibility of the baseband post IOS upgrade.

Quote:
I mean will there be warranty for the used iPhone buyer in India?
AFAIK, if the seller of the phone bought the iPhone in India and if the phone is still in under warranty period, then you surely would be able to avail it.

For more detailed information, visit:

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/...e-english.html

Also, you can use the below URL to know the status of coverage etcetera. I used it while buying iPhone through craigslist (USA). Helped me to get rid of some China phones!

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreemen...mic.do?newid=Y
Old 13th June 2012, 01:01   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
IIRC, AAPL does not sell APP for iPhone in India. I might get corrected here.
So the 3GS would be ending its standard 1 year warranty in any case.
Am not sure if you are mixing jailbreak with unlock. It would be sim unlocked if originally bought in India. You could still jailbreak a piece even if it isn't yet.
What kind of advantages you are looking for?
I was looking for an 'advantage' in the form of service backup. But now from what I understood from your reply, its clear that even if I buy a brand new phone, after 1 year warranty, whatever hardware issues i face, I have to pay and repair it right and in 1 year generally nothing happens I believe. So whatever iphone 3GS I buy (jailbroken or Indian piece), its the same after 1 year ( meaning, no warranty). Please correct me if I am wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
SIM Lock: Locking a phone to a particular Carrier s. This means that an iPhone bought in USA may be locked to AT&T (GSM) or Verizon(CDMA). In order to use such phone with a different Carrier Viz. Airtel, you need to get it unlocked either using a software (Ultrasnow) or hardware(Gevey).
Thanks Xydon, for the brief explanation. The links are useful

Last edited by Eddy : 15th June 2012 at 12:32. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 13th June 2012, 15:14   #4626
F50
Senior - BHPian

My 3GS got wet on my last cycling ride. I kept it in a rice container for 3 days and now the phone has started working but the screen is dim. The Brightness from Settings is not working. This means Display LCD or Logic Board gone kaput or there is still moisture in the screen.

1) Has anyone faced this?
2) How much would the Display cost?
3) If at all changing the display is the only option, should I change the Logic Board first and then Display?
Old 14th June 2012, 11:21   #4627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post

1) Has anyone faced this?
2) How much would the Display cost?
3) If at all changing the display is the only option, should I change the Logic Board first and then Display?
I got my 3G display screen changed at Gaffar Market, Delhi for around 1k.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 14th June 2012 at 11:23.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:26   #4628
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I got my 3G display screen changed at Gaffar Market, Delhi for around 1k.
Thats just the glass screen or includes backlit and screen?
Old 14th June 2012, 11:38   #4629
Senior - BHPian

guys, can you tell me where i can get a sturdy and good quality car holder for my iPhone (is there one for iPhone 4 specifically)? i'm not interested in the local ones, they just start moving around and falling off after some time.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:38   #4630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50

Thats just the glass screen or includes backlit and screen?
Backlit and screen. Dont know if there are two components to that. However while taking it out the person broke it and it couldnt be reinstalled (if required)
Old 14th June 2012, 11:50   #4631
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
guys, can you tell me where i can get a sturdy and good quality car holder for my iPhone (is there one for iPhone 4 specifically)? i'm not interested in the local ones, they just start moving around and falling off after some time.
Check the link below. Assume that some of these will be available in local iPhone accessories shop as well (or via Apple India website).

iPhone Car Accessories - iPhone Car Chargers, Bluetooth Headsets & FM Transmitters - Apple Store (Singapore)
Old 14th June 2012, 12:16   #4632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
http://www.holdersandmounts.co.uk/herbert-richter/

This is the best suction cup type from Germany that I have seen.

All the best!
Old 14th June 2012, 21:11   #4633
Senior - BHPian

Just gave a try on getting my phone unlocked by AT&T after reading so many success stories -

Have a white iPhone 4 bought from craigslist jailbroken and running on Gevey in India.

Called the At&T helpline number from skype which wouldnt cost you anything so you can keep calling until you find some one who is willing to help. Got through 2 reps and both said they cant help as i dont have original owner name or number.

3rd time i straight away said i want to unlock my out of contract iPhone 4, he asked my name, mail ID, IMEI no and then after confirming am eligible for an unlock, gave me a case no. but to my utter disappointment asked me to fax them a proof of purchase which i obviously dont have. He said i need to fax within 2 days else they wont be able to unlock.

Read a post by a member here who didnt send his copy of bill but still recieved the unlock , am trying my luck as well.

OT : Casually asked a hotspot guy for the value of my year old phone and he quoted 14k if its Gevey and 20k if factory unlocked.
Old 14th June 2012, 23:17   #4634
Senior - BHPian

I was recently gifted an iPhone 4S 64GB bought in India. I changed my Airtel SIM to a micro and installed in it. All along I've been a Nokia user, the last phone being an E-7. I am so very used to Nokia and its functions. Now my daughter has taken away the E-7.

While I could manage to get my contacts & calendar onto the iPhone, could not get the messages imported.

BTW, I've an iPad 2 & an iMac. All the three including the iPhone have the iCloud function activated. But till date I've not understood how the cloud works. I've a couple of queries:

- does Apple make mobile charger for iPhone?

- like Nokia has a facility to create a group in contacts so that by one click all the persons in the group can be sent a SMS, does iPhone also have the same?

Suddenly thrice I discovered that all my contacts had been erased. I don't know how. Somebody suggested a neat utility called phonecopy.com and I created an account there and synced my Nokia phone. All the three times that my contact data got lost on iPhone, I had to get them back from phone copy.

I feel I'm not being able to use the iPhone to its fullest capacity. Need help.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:12   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I was recently gifted an iPhone 4S 64GB bought in India.
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Quote:
- does Apple make mobile charger for iPhone?
It was a yes till last night. Not sure if something changed in between then and now.

Quote:
- like Nokia has a facility to create a group in contacts so that by one click all the persons in the group can be sent a SMS, does iPhone also have the same?
I wish I could say yes but unfortunately it's a big NO. Apple does not give this feature by default (at least not till 5.1.1). However, you can download 3rd party apps from app store which fill in the gap. Viz. GroupContacts. I love this application for the UI! (This application does not belong to me and neither do I have any share in it. It is purely IMHO)

Quote:
Suddenly thrice I discovered that all my contacts had been erased. I don't know how. Somebody suggested a neat utility called phonecopy.com and I created an account there and synced my Nokia phone. All the three times that my contact data got lost on iPhone, I had to get them back from phone copy.
I'm not sure abut phonecopy.com but You can try this. Sync your Nokia phone to outlook and sync the contacts. If there is a setting which asks 'phone to server' or 'server to phone', choose the first. Create the same outlook account in your iPhone. And just sync the contacts!

This sounds tedious but I transferred my stuff in ten mins.

There is also an applications which helps you import vcf, csv. I'll try to find out. I've never used it but heard it works just fine.

Quote:
I feel I'm not being able to use the iPhone to its fullest capacity. Need help.
Once you start using it, you'll say your feeling empty without it. I can guarantee you on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks