Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2012, 11:46   #4906
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

The phone looks good atleast in the pictures. I think the iPhone5 got all the deserved upgrades that one would want. Only thing missing is probably NFC which could have been really something considering their passbook app and could have been that innovative thing which would have surprised people.

As far as I am concerned I am happy. There is hardly anything major left to innovate. I am sure some new ground breaking things would come in mobile domain but as a phone iPhone5 is pretty much there with the best. I did some research on A6 chips and found they are really competitive. iPhone already have had a very good camera. In terms of hardware there is hardly any scope of improvement left except for NFC probably.

I think most people are dissapointed from Apple because from Apple standards the number of ground breaking innovations are not there. But as a device it is as good as any I think.

I am really excited for the price drop in 4S. How much should we expect it in India for?
Old 13th September 2012, 12:05   #4907
Senior - BHPian

Looks like turn-by-turn navigation and traffic updates would not work in India with iOS6.

http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-ava...urn-navigation

Hopefully Sygic/Google will release a version with offlline navigation.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:06   #4908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have a iPhone 4 and this seems to be a logical upgrade for me, very happy with the iPhone build quality and software stability which the other eco systems have so far failed to convince me with.
Same here, but I will wait for atleast 4-5 months, so that they iron out minor niggles which normally comes with the initial batches
Old 13th September 2012, 12:40   #4909
Senior - BHPian

I have mixed feelings about the iPhone5.

For me personally, its an amazing iPhone yet. since I own a 3GS. 5 is a H U G E upgrade for me and I love it.

When the 4S was launched by Cook, market had exactly the same reactions. "Not a big deal", "nothing pathbreaking", "End of Iphone mania", etc etc... and iPhone4S outsold every phone in the market, until S3 came along. So I would not pass any comments at this juncture. Lets hold on to the horses.

And whatever we say here or anywhere, millions of people (world population is 4+ billion, so million is too tiny a number) are still going to queue up starting September 21st at 8 AM outside all Apple stores in the US.

Now compared to what we have in the market already or coming soon,
1) the screen is smaller (4.3", 4.5", 4.7" and 5.5"... )
2) the camera has lesser MPs(Sony has 12 MP cams already)
3) Not too many innovations

But honestly, its extremely difficult to match the niche UserEx, the finesse and richness, and stability of the iOS. The only other OS which is really innovative and stands out is the Windows 8, IMO. But we are too far from declaring that as stable or as rich as iOS at this point of time. So besides iPhone and Lumias, I feel that all other phones are lost in the Droid crowd.

Would I buy the iPhone5? Damn, yes!

Would I recommend it to anyone? Depends on few factors, but mostly YES. My wife certainly wants one, after owning the Samsung Galaxy ACE for 1 year only.

All said and done, the last iPhone launched by Steve Jobs, the iPhone4 was really path-breaking at the time of its launch (S2, S3, OneX were not even on the horizon that time). I just have a minute concern whether Apple as a company and Tim Cook as the CEO would ever be able to match what Jobs presented to the world every time he stepped on the podium?

Comments welcome.

Cheers!

EDIT: I was really hoping that Cook would launch the iPad Mini (7 inch) yesterday, but it seems it will have its own grand launch.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 13th September 2012 at 12:42.
Old 13th September 2012, 13:05   #4910
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is -

Samsung Galaxy SIII still remains the most amazing iphone ever!!!
Old 13th September 2012, 13:43   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay
Sygic already has an app for that. Works pretty well except when it is ahead of the ground realities of project implementation in India. It showed me a road as available for use while the road had a WIP board tacked to it in reality i.e. missing bridge.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:00   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why on the Iphone thread?
We're all users here.
Because there are many people who voiced their disappointment with the new phone on this thread, feeling it was a let-down. I'm only pointing out that every iPhone before this one has been considered a disappointment too :-)
In fact, I'm not entirely happy with it myself—I don't think thinner is necessarily better; I find the newer versions harder to hold. The 3G and 3GS form factor was the most comfortable for me.
But the point is, at the end of the day this phone will probably blow the competition once we all start using and experiencing it. And that's really what matters—not what they put in or left out but how it all... just... works.
See you guys in a year when we'll be disappointed with the 5S *grin*
Old 13th September 2012, 14:25   #4913
BHPian

My views on I-phone 5

Classic case of people hyping a product before launch and then being disappointed with the actual release. What exactly where you guys expecting? I know we are used to fireworks with these usual Apple events but not this time.

1. The IP5 is a good phone with respect to the competition – There is no doubt about that. It has all the bases covered – Speed/Looks/Camera/OS. What I would have liked was features like Bluetooth, memory card etc. I just came to know that I-phone never used to have FM Radio! I know many of us do not use it every day but still it is a useful feature. I think Apple will always remain Apple. Again keeping these things aside, IP5 is a good phone.

2. Here I will put a condition – IP5 is good but only depending upon at what price it is released in India. I know its price is good in the US but I am curious as to what price it will be launched in India. If it is launched at >45k I think people should go for S3. There is nothing in IP5 which commands so much premium over S3. My gut feeling says it will be priced at 45k for the 16GB model.

3. What is the deal with the charger? I see they have introduced a new charger but can anyone tell me the benefits of it? Does it charge the phone quickly? One good thing about it is that it is reversible so we do not have to worry about putting it in the phone charger slot in a particular way. But apart from that are there any other benefits?

4. People think features like thinner/faster/lighter are not worthy to be called features. Well I know these do not seem drool worthy features but they do constitute an upgrade (probably not for IP4S owners but others). I still feel size of the screen is one the smaller side. 4.3 inches is the size I was expecting Apple to target in IP5.

5. I was expecting Apple to do something with regards to Battery life. All Smartphones (Samsung/HTC/Sony) suffer from poor to average battery life. They could have introduced something like RAZRMaxx which would have been the USP of IP5. Sadly I did not read anything about the battery life so I am assuming it will be similar to the competition and nothing special.

All in all, this phone might contribute to Apple’s bottom and top line but it has failed to impress me. I still think S3 is a much better phone. My view might change if Apple decides to launch IP5 at an aggressive price in India but historically that has never happened.

Last edited by Saanil : 13th September 2012 at 14:26.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:49   #4914
Senior - BHPian

For me , there is nothing new that the iPhone 5 will offer over my 4S. iOS 6 will ensure that there isnt much of a difference . Apple claims faster browsing , faster processor ,... but that isnt enough for me to spend another 50 K INR on am " improved " version of my current phone .

I wouldnt say I am disappointed , but at the same time , there isnt anything "wow" for me .

But yeah , I am glad that they didnt bring out something as big and ugly as a S3
Old 13th September 2012, 15:27   #4915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
All I can say is -

Samsung Galaxy SIII still remains the most amazing iphone ever!!!

You called S3 an IPhone nuff said.

Looks like Samsung just can't stop copying Apple, even in their legal actions! Now Samsung has decided to sue Apple.

http://www.itp.net/590391-samsung-to...g-connectivity
Old 13th September 2012, 15:32   #4916
BHPian

I think any doubts in terms of perfomance should be put to rest with this video. Just notice the way this guys is handling the phone and the way the phone is responding. Looks super duper fast.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6283/i...pics-and-video
Old 13th September 2012, 15:33   #4917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You called S3 an IPhone nuff said.
Well its not me but Apple itself that called Galaxy phones an iphone!

I thought that was their contention in that litigation - that users confused Galaxy phones with iphone!!! They even want to ban the S3 on the same premise.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:38   #4918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Looks like turn-by-turn navigation and traffic updates would not work in India with iOS6.
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-ava...urn-navigation
Google maps for Android already has the latest version with turn by turn voice navigation enabled for India. You can cache maps offline and then navigation would require only minimal data traffic .
Old 13th September 2012, 15:45   #4919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Google maps for Android already has the latest version with turn by turn voice navigation enabled for India......
That does not help with iPhone / iOS6. Usually Apple would now allow a competing product in App store if it has a navigation solution of its own.

If Google Maps does appear on iOS, that would be a different thing.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:45   #4920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I think any doubts in terms of perfomance should be put to rest with this video. Just notice the way this guys is handling the phone and the way the phone is responding. Looks super duper fast.
Maybe thats because when you have your own OS, you can tweak more out of it to suit the target hardware.

I am somewhat glad that they didnt make the screen as big as S3, or even bigger. It would have been inconvenient carrying it around. I dont know how S3 users manage the size of the phone. Maybe they carry it in a purse? Anyway, i want my phone to fit in my pocket, and still leave room for other stuff. Like keys, i mean.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks