Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 11:14   #5101
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

After upgrading to iOS 6 I am not able to connect to Appstore as it is throwing me a errror "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

How to fix this ?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:37   #5102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Attachment 989620

Attachment 989621

I've been facing a wired problem since I upgraded to iOS 6. The network drops for fraction of a second and comes back. I noticed it immediately after upgrade. But ignored since Airtel has network coverage problem around my place. Now, I'm facing the same problem at my office, Powai. I had never faced network problem around my office earlier. This makes me suspect iOS 6.

Is anybody else facing this problem?
nope. no issues with the network, yet. actually i've seen an improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
After upgrading to iOS 6 I am not able to connect to Appstore as it is throwing me a errror "Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

How to fix this ?
is this when you click App Store in Passbook?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:39   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post

How to fix this ?
I faced this on iPad 2. It just disappeared when I tried for the second time, never reappeared.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:54   #5104
BHPian

Apple Maps :-)

The iPhone Thread-image3785291553.jpg
Old 21st September 2012, 12:56   #5105
BHPian

I suggest don't be in a hurry to Criticise the maps. Wait for it to evolve. It seems they ve got a good foundation on the maps but over time it should be updated. And when it's completed It might be way ahead of google maps.

Take example of Siri it wasnt much when it was launched but they evolved it to a higher level. Over next few years you can only imagine it's evolution.

Maps is one of the reason I vent updated to ios6 , I do lot of travel and maps comes very handy. So I ll wait it out till something better is updated.
Or when google comes up with a maps app.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:01   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
I suggest don't be in a hurry to Criticise the maps. Wait for it to evolve. It seems they ve got a good foundation on the maps but over time it should be updated. And when it's completed It might be way ahead of google maps.
Doctor, don't take it to your heart. I like Apple products. But a joke is a joke. Apple had commercial implications in mind when they decided to dump YouTube and Maps. Every company will think of commercials. Apple wants users to use Maps and give feedback to improve. If people don't use, I wonder how will it improve.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:12   #5107
BHPian

Yup yo right. It won't improve without feedback but I don't think apple d depend solely on feedback they ll have alternate protocols to develop the maps. Knowing the quality of the products I m willing to give it more time to see how it ll work. It's new for apple but I guess time ll tell.
And then business is business, they design products so they can make profits. Or they can take the easy way and copy Samsung but generally it's the other way around. They not enforcing to buy anyone but those who buy know what it is.
Old 21st September 2012, 15:40   #5108
BHPian

The maps actually mention powered by Tom Tom and others, so its not completely from Apple themselves.

Tom Tom had a good database AFAIK.
Old 21st September 2012, 15:48   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506
The maps actually mention powered by Tom Tom and others, so its not completely from Apple themselves.

Tom Tom had a good database AFAIK.
It's not just Tom Tom; click on the others and you'll see the whole list.
The iPhone Thread-image3009682606.jpg

Even though the directions are not working, the GPS seemed to be; see the blue dot? I'm exactly at the position in the building!
Name:  image3911948830.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  366.2 KB
Old 21st September 2012, 16:20   #5110
Senior - BHPian

Yes for early adopters there was a Wifi connectivity issue that Apple responded with great speed and control. Not everyone even noticed that the issue came and went away on its own.

w.r.t the greying of icons there are alot of dependencies from other settings like privacy and control. Thus you ought to thread very carefully if you do not want FB and Twitter to keep blaring your thoughts publicly.

w.r.t Maps, Google had a major advantage but did not evolve the app for Apple. They were running turn by turn on Android but not for Apple. The maps on iOS 6 is amazing. Try other cities in Europe, America, Singapore etc. Amazing rendition and clarity with precision. Google will have to evolve. they are the ones lagging right now. For other countries the flyover might not work or come about slowly with govt. regulations etc.

w.r.t. iOS performance. 6 is definitely managing battery far better than earlier versions and speed too has increased on older hardware.

Someone mentioned that there was no difference between the OS, IMHO the interface is better and speedier, the UI has changed for better and also the steps involved have been cut to bare minimum. I suggest spending more time with the new one and see for yourself.

No email attachment is my biggest tiff.

Cheers!
Old 21st September 2012, 16:34   #5111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
No email attachment is my biggest tiff.

Cheers!
Photos can be attached in mails. If you want to attach other files, there are apps for that; I've used FileApp Pro. It works fine.

Overall, I like iOS 6, an improvement in looks, features and performance (except for Maps). I had a call with a friend in the afternoon for 56 minutes with earphone, the battery usage was 4%.
Old 21st September 2012, 16:56   #5112
BHPian

I just noticed the new look for the keypad in the Phone app. What was wrong with the old one? I'm in two minds whether this is better or not.

On the Maps issue, I have no doubt that it will get better. I only feel it's very unlike Apple to introduce an alternative which isn't better than (or at least at par with) the previous one. Obviously, commercial priorities have forced their hand but it rankles me a bit that customer satisfaction has been trumped by business considerations. Somehow it's not what one would expect from Apple. I understand the Siri reference about how it's evolved but the difference is that Siri didn't replace something better than what it offered. You know what I mean?

Having said that, there are some things I'm loving about iOS 6:
- The Do Not Disturb feature is brilliant
- I like the fact that I don't get bumped out of the App Store every time I update or install an app. This used to be a minor irritation.
- And the speed... Man, I love how everything's faster
Old 21st September 2012, 17:15   #5113
Senior - BHPian

I think my 3GS handset has lost its charm, even after the iOS 6.0 upgrade. Out of the 200 new features, I guess only 10-15 are applicable for 3GS. An upgrade is a must now.

I was so looking forward to the Lumia 900 and it did come to India finally. But at what price...30k+. Lumia 900 was downgraded heavily in the US when Microsoft had announced that none of the current handsets are eligible for WP8. But in India, Nokia have launched 900 at the same price as that on the launch day. Too bad.

I will also wait for iPhone 5 to come to India, so the 4S will come down a bit too. Too much dilemma!
Old 21st September 2012, 17:46   #5114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
The maps on iOS 6 is amazing. Try other cities in Europe, America, Singapore etc. Amazing rendition and clarity with precision. Google will have to evolve. they are the ones lagging right now. For other countries the flyover might not work or come about slowly with govt. regulations etc.
I agree, I was wondering what's actually wrong with the maps. I did not notice much difference in my phone (4), and the hybrid mode is pretty cool. And just checked the 3D maps in my wife's 4S; it's awesome. But yes, maybe it's not that much evolved for India. And probably the development may depend on how TomTom grow strong in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute
I will also wait for iPhone 5 to come to India, so the 4S will come down a bit too. Too much dilemma!
Get the 4S once the 5 is launched in India. It's a very competent phone, and the pricing will be a bit more attractive with the arrival of 5.

Don't look at the Lumia 900 now. iPhone to a WP will be quite a challenge
Old 21st September 2012, 18:07   #5115
BHPian

17% iPhone users upgraded to iOS 6 within 24 hours of release - http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/20/cha...7-in-24-hours/

I upgraded within 2 hours :-)

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st September 2012 at 20:48. Reason: Lets not make this an Android Vs Apple thread, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks