Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 23:36   #5461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

I wonder how you managed to survive?

But tell me one thing.
6 is alright now?

I ask as I want to upgrade wifey's IP$ to 6, but i also dont want to get into trouble.
Specifically with maps.
I just went for a shower; I can survive in there without my phone

If you don't use the Maps (Apple Maps is of no use), then by all means go ahead and upgrade to iOS 6 (or 6.0.1). I personally feel that the network (data networks and WiFi) is faster, battery lasts longer (depending on use) and few teeny-tiny changes here and there.

Btw, you can open google maps in a browser and pin it to your screen (look for instructions posted few pages back).
Old 7th November 2012, 11:01   #5462
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Got my Iphone 5 a few days ago. Must say its a massive improvement in looks and functionality over the Iphone 4 I was using for the last 2 years. Beautiful finish and looks like a premium phone should. Maybe Samsung should take a page out of Apple's book when it comes to the finish and materials used to make a top notch phone.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:38   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ok now Im at home and all my devices are now on ios 6.0.1 and as of this moment I am not facing any trouble with my home wi fi either.
Good to hear that. I went home and experimented a bit with updating the wifi router, changing the encryption settings, network resetting the iPhone and eventually resetting the complete phone from iTunes backup. Nothing worked.

Then I went very near to the router and tried adding the network - and surely I can see the network and connect to the wifi. The only problem is, if I move 5-8 ft away from the wifi router the network disconnects and does not see it again.

So my wifi range is highly limited right now, confirmed utilizing three different wifi networks, and I dont know what to do anymore except for taking the phone to the Apple service center. But I am not sure if they will take my Phone even if its under Warranty (since it was brought internationally)

Does anyone here have any inside connections in Apple Service here in India?
Old 7th November 2012, 14:04   #5464
BHPian

Friends, sorry for asking the same question again. Has Vodafone launched nano SIM in India , especially Delhi?
Old 7th November 2012, 14:20   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Friends, sorry for asking the same question again. Has Vodafone launched nano SIM in India , especially Delhi?
I got nano sim from vodafone in Chennai. They've had them for at least 2 weeks.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:02   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Got my Iphone 5 a few days ago. Must say its a massive improvement in looks and functionality over the Iphone 4 I was using for the last 2 years. Beautiful finish and looks like a premium phone should. Maybe Samsung should take a page out of Apple's book when it comes to the finish and materials used to make a top notch phone.
er of course it is going to be a big upgrade for you after 2 years! And can i ask which Samsung phone you were referring to in terms of finish and materials as compared to the iPhone? Normally don't comment in here even though it is very tempting to do so but am just curious
Old 7th November 2012, 19:33   #5467
BHPian

Any one of them. And I have used the note and the s3
Old 7th November 2012, 19:53   #5468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000
.... Maybe Samsung should take a page out of Apple's book when it comes to the finish and materials used to make a top notch phone.
How could you draw a parallel between Apple ip5 and a product that costs only one half of its price?

On a different note... Looks like the ip5 has some serious QC niggles with its *premium* finish.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 7th November 2012 at 19:54.
Old 7th November 2012, 20:20   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
How could you draw a parallel between Apple ip5 and a product that costs only one half of its price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Maybe Samsung should take a page out of Apple's book when it comes to the finish and materials used to make a top notch phone.
I have both phones,the 4S and the S3 . The S3 is just superb in terms of specs ,but the iphone wins when you look at the user experience. My iPhone 4S 32GB cost me 51K while the S3 cost me 32K through eBay. Though the S3 feels not so great to hold, I am not really complaining when I have paid lesser than the iPhone.

My iPhone was replaced under warranty cos of heating issues and crashing apps . I see that my replacement phone is also acting strange these days with dropped calls and crashing apps/iMessage

Now before I go back to the Apple service center , I wanted to know if I can ask for a iPhone5 as a replacement by paying the difference amount , incase they give me a new replacement phone
Old 7th November 2012, 22:11   #5470
BANNED

Hey guys, was seeing news online about iPhone 5 being sold out in India. There were only 15k pieces allotted to India.
So is it not available right now? except grey market
Dad was looking to buy one
Old 7th November 2012, 22:36   #5471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari
Hey guys, was seeing news online about iPhone 5 being sold out in India. There were only 15k pieces allotted to India.
So is it not available right now? except grey market
Dad was looking to buy one
Grey market, white 16gb is going for 45k.
I just got one arranged for my boss.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:42   #5472
BHPian

A friend is bringing the 4S white 16GB model from US for me. The phone is factory unlocked. I chose it over Iphone5 even though the 5 was only $100 more. Found the 5's screen and shape a bit odd (personal opinion) and had read about the finish issues with it as well. Was originally waiting for Nokia Lumia 920 but Nokia is taking an eternity to launch it anywhere so went with the 4S.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:45   #5473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
A friend is bringing the 4S white 16GB model from US for me. The phone is factory unlocked. I chose it over Iphone5 even though the 5 was only $100 more. Found the 5's screen and shape a bit odd (personal opinion) and had read about the finish issues with it as well. Was originally waiting for Nokia Lumia 920 but Nokia is taking an eternity to launch it anywhere so went with the 4S.
OT: Lumia 920 is already available with AT&T for $99 with 2 years contract and Lumia 820 for $49 with contract. Unlocked prices are not out yet.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:49   #5474
BHPian

The thing is my friend bought the 4S 2 days ago and AT&T announced Lumia 920 availability a day after. They are also selling contract free Lumia 920 for $450 which IMO is a killer price for that kind of hardware. Bottomline though was that there were no unlocked phones on offer and the locked one too came a day late. Was getting the Lumia 900 for $300 but the 900 will not get WP8 so still chose the 4S. Only if there was an unlocked 920 out there ..
Old 8th November 2012, 11:51   #5475
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

OT: Lumia 920 is already available with AT&T for $99 with 2 years contract and Lumia 820 for $49 with contract. Unlocked prices are not out yet.
But the off contract prices are.
$400 for 820
$450 for 920
On AT&T

Also wanted to ask, if i can get a locked iPhone down to India from the US, will it be unlocked easily here? Also would it be permanently unlocked? Any complications that i should know of?
Locked iPhone 5 16GB is available for $499

Most Viewed