Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 13:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Is it available in india now?? unofficially atleast??? coz @ 13-16k, i can skip the 73ME which im planin to get....
Old 17th September 2007, 16:26   #47
BANNED

The unlocking software for iPhone, named anysim is a great piece of software according to reviewers. But it is yet to be proved as problem free. So, be careful before you use it. It can render you iphone to a good paperweight.

Airtel is the only approved operator officially for India, right?
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:46   #48
BHPian

No you can use any provider using the software unlock method i have used another software not AnySim nor IPSF and have also installed it in 7 other iPhones of friends and family and as yet it is completely problem free i have used it on Hutch(Vodafone), Airtel, Etisalat and all work perfectly well.
Old 28th September 2007, 00:56   #49
BHPian

I saw unlocked iPhone is on sale in indiatimes.com auctions: APPLE GSM Mobile Phone Model No. iPhone - 8 GB Indiatimes Auction : Digital Entertainment & Lifestyle Shoppe
Kousik
Old 30th September 2007, 10:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Jus got news iphone now unlocked and working on our networks is available for 30,000/- in mumbai. Down from the 44000/- and 15 day waiting period.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:36   #51
BHPian

for all those who are hurrying to buy the iPhone, you all should know that apple has released an update which kinda bricks your phone if you update it in its unlocked state

so you wont be carrying more than a paperweight in your pocket

heres more dope on the story
iPhone Firmware 1.1.1 Out and Tested: Breaks 3rd-party Apps, Relocks iPhones and Sends Them to Semi-Brick Activation Limbo (Updated with video) - Gizmodo
Old 30th September 2007, 11:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Jus got news iphone now unlocked and working on our networks is available for 30,000/- in mumbai. Down from the 44000/- and 15 day waiting period.
Beware - Apple has released an update to the iPhone which, among other things, makes a cracked phone useless again (un-cracked, if you may!). It becomes an AT&T-only phone all over again!

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS IF YOU PLAN TO BUY AN IPHONE. PERIODIC APPLE UPDATES COULD MAKE YOUR PHONE A BRICK ALL OVER AGAIN - I'M SURE THIS WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME THEY RELEASE AN UPDATE.

Cracked iPhone prices are coming down.
Old 30th September 2007, 11:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Beware - Apple has released an update to the iPhone which, among other things, makes a cracked phone useless again (un-cracked, if you may!). It becomes an AT&T-only phone all over again!

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS IF YOU PLAN TO BUY AN IPHONE. PERIODIC APPLE UPDATES COULD MAKE YOUR PHONE A BRICK ALL OVER AGAIN - I'M SURE THIS WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME THEY RELEASE AN UPDATE.

Cracked iPhone prices are coming down.

This would be something Sony did when their PSP's were getting modded...you update a new firmware and it would render it useless....Bricking the whole thing....USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Old 30th September 2007, 12:13   #54
BANNED

It has been confirmed. The software update for iPhone will render the cracked ones to be useless. Eventhough, Apple repeatedly claims that They've not intended this with their update. Do they want the whole world to be fools or what?

The software update is absolutely optional. So, cracked iphone users may opt not to update it.

Now, it will take some more hacking hours before this update cum locking process is also cracked! Can't this cat and mouse game be avoided? LOL.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The software update is absolutely optional. So, cracked iphone users may opt not to update it.
That is true, but the software update contains a lot of enhancements as well. You cant really choose "I want to update functionality but leave my phone in the cracked state".

So you're either stuck with a brick, or a phone with outdated software. Software updates to the phone are critical, especially when one considers the fact that Apple is new to phones.
Old 30th September 2007, 16:21   #56
Team-BHP Support

this also means that if apple issues an important security update, you risk either a brick or a intruder.
Old 1st October 2007, 13:24   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Just when i am about to get myself one my bad luck shines

The Turbo-Sim is the only way fool proof method to get around it without worrying about software updates ever. But only if you can get around finding a turbo sim available for purchase
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:17   #58
BHPian

Cheer up guys, there will be easier ways, soon.

And to further cheer you up, some random screen shots -

@#9#

And, let me know if you need further encouragement to get your own.

And a class action suit is probably on it's way - Users planning class action suit against Apple over iPhone warranty

And for the technically inclined, the "official" dev site - Main Page - The iPhone Dev Wiki

Last edited by tadukuttan : 2nd October 2007 at 00:36.
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:22   #59
BHPian

turbosim will work, but wont let you upgrade the firmware

firmware upgrades are not merely software updates, they sometimes improve general functionality of the phone

even nokia offers firmware upgrades many a times to support faster sms / mailing etc

heres an update for what to do in case your phone gets bricked
also, the iPhone Dev Team is working on a crack for firmware 1.11

read more here > IPhone: Bricked iPhones Now Working (Calls With iPhoneSIMFree and TurboSIM) - Gizmodo
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
And, let me know if you need further encouragement to get your own.
How am i suppose to unlock the phone now since they all will come with the new firmware !?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks