Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 22:48   #6226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post

My questions are:

1.Should i buy an iphone 5 or 5S? ( No 5c please).
2.When tentatively would the i5s be available in India? ( with indian warranty & bill)
3.Is it wise to go for i5 instead ? (though its going to be discontinued soon.)
4.Will the i5 see a price drop soon?

1. I personally don't subscribe to the idea of buying 's', as apple philosophy is that basic design never changes much from the previous version for 's'. Also except one fancy feature like Siri in 4s or finger print reader in 5s all other new features will be available through the OS upgrade.
2. Per store guys it will be available in India after 2-3 months of US launch.
3. As I said in item 1 you will get more or less all the features through ios7 except for finger print reader. If you are a big fan of that then go for 5s.
4. Unlike Samsung, apple does not reduce the prices of the models drastically and cause heartburn to the folks who bought it on the first day. All they might do is to discontinue and launch a lesser memory variant with some price reduction like the iphone4 8 gb.

Last edited by shinuak : 17th September 2013 at 22:50.
Old 18th September 2013, 05:55   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

When can we expect the official roll out of the iOS7? Will it be a OTA update or an update thru' itunes?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 18th September 2013 at 05:57.
Old 18th September 2013, 06:39   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
When can we expect the official roll out of the iOS7? Will it be a OTA update or an update thru' itunes?
Official release is on 18th September, 2013 i.e. today at US time. This is likely going to be an OTA update according to ilounge.com though iOS 7 GM was not.
Old 18th September 2013, 06:46   #6229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is the press release from Apple on iOS7 :

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013...tember-18.html
Old 18th September 2013, 08:20   #6230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
1. I personally don't subscribe to the idea of buying 's', as apple philosophy is that basic design never changes much from the previous version for 's'. Also except one fancy feature like Siri in 4s or finger print reader in 5s all other new features will be available through the OS upgrade.
3. As I said in item 1 you will get more or less all the features through ios7 except for finger print reader. If you are a big fan of that then go for 5s.
4. Unlike Samsung, apple does not reduce the prices of the models drastically and cause heartburn to the folks who bought it on the first day. All they might do is to discontinue and launch a lesser memory variant with some price reduction like the iphone4 8 gb.
Thanks shinuak, you just helped me make up my mind.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:56   #6231
Senior - BHPian

Looks like we need to wait till 21.30 IST to get the update :(

The iPhone Thread-capture.png
Old 18th September 2013, 11:00   #6232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Hi, I completely disagree with your first point.

1. Are you serious? Have you used the 4 and 4s? You dont find any differences?

SIRI is the last difference you should have mentioned - there are HUGE differences in the phones with and without s - this is valid for 3g & 3gs and also for 4 and 4s and again, for 5 and 5s.

What is your definition of basic design? Just how the phone looks and feels ( touch based feel) ?
Anyways just to outline my points, lets focus on 4 and 4s first as an example :
better antenna supporting highers speeds for data and lower power usage/consumption

processor : complete redesign , 4s has dual core a5 vs single core a4 on the 4

camera : capable of 1080p video recording on the 4s, 8mp on the 4s vs 5 on iphone 4.
camera ready to click in one seconds vs 3 seconds for the iphone 4
better lense.. i could go on

for a complete list of how the `S` is so much better please read :

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...-iphone-4.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...phone-3gs.html

I have always bought the S phones... getting a new design and look everytime on the model could work, just to showcase you have the latest ( non S kodels) , wait for 6-9 months and you have the latest and best ( the S models) !

Last edited by babhishek : 18th September 2013 at 11:03.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:10   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post

SIRI is the last difference you should have mentioned - there are HUGE differences in the phones with and without s - this is valid for 3g & 3gs and also for 4 and 4s and again, for 5 and 5s.
This is probably a more definitive review of generational performance of the 5s over all iPhones
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/t...ne-5s-review/6
The whole article is a good read, and a great shout-out to Apples far thinking leadership. But I still feel that on the one hand, 64-bit on 2 core feels too early as there is little to take advantage of this power just yet, as memory is still limited to 1gb, and though instruction registers improve native app perf on ios7, 3rd party apps are still being readied.
Also on several other consumer friendly initiatives - larger display size, camera, LTE, WiFi AC, we are coming up to the lag end of the tech curve.

The question is always how future proof you want your investment to be. And what you are willing to pay for this now. Anyone using a iphone4, with iOS7 will surely empathise with this feeling of being a bit behind.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:01   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like we need to wait till 21.30 IST to get the update :(
I guess the time of release in India would be 10:30pm, Sept 18.

How many updating on iPhone 4? update asap or wait, read feedback and then update?

Last edited by mashmash : 18th September 2013 at 22:02.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:32   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post

I guess the time of release in India would be 10:30pm, Sept 18.

How many updating on iPhone 4? update asap or wait, read feedback and then update?
Bang on!! you are

The iPhone Thread-image875973671.jpg
Old 18th September 2013, 22:42   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on!! you are
Which variant are you updating? I just started it on my iPhone4. 665mb via OTA.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:45   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post

Which variant are you updating? I just started it on my iPhone4. 665mb via OTA.
Ditto. But my download stalled after a while :( just trying to fix it.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:53   #6238
BHPian

It started, but now showing error message
Old 18th September 2013, 22:57   #6239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post

What is your definition of basic design? Just how the phone looks and feels ( touch based feel) ?

I agree that "s" will have or currently have better hardware and other feature differences when compared to 4 or 5, but it is not something which will enthuse me to drop my current, say for eg. 4 or 5 in a years time, to go for the "s" , rather I would wait for the next model which will come one more year later with a drastic change in design (I mean appearance, looks and better features). Thats how I view it.
It is again a difference of perspective. If I have a iphone4 it does not make sense for me to buy 4s in years time, it will be a much better gamble to wait for the 5 to get overall a fresh new look, design and features.I had 4 and waited for 5 to come instead of buying 4s in the interim. But if you started your iphone purchase with a "s" it may make more sense for you to buy the next "s" and not buy the 5 or 6.
For me if the external appearance, design and features does not change drastically, I will not go for it, for the sake of slightly better battery backup, processing power, a few more megapixels and more HSDPA speeds etc.
Coming to the battery backup part of it, with both my 4 and 5, I have to charge it at least twice a day if I am using WiFi, 3G, location services etc. In fact i feel 4 had a better battery backup than 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shows an error message on my dad's iphone 4 when downloading. It starts then immediately pops the error message.
The download is failing for me in my iphone5 and the same is happening for my friend who is trying the same in US, probably since there is high traffic in the servers due to lot of download requests.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th September 2013 at 08:47. Reason: back to back posts. Please dont repeat
Old 18th September 2013, 22:57   #6240
Team-BHP Support

Shows an error message on my dad's iphone 4 when downloading. It starts then immediately pops the error message.

Most Viewed