Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 11:37   #6256
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Edit: The personal hotspot option which had mysteriously disappeared long back has reappeared!
Wasn't the hotspot option always under Settings- -> General -> Cellular -> Setup Personal Hotspot ?
Old 19th September 2013, 11:51   #6257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Wasn't the hotspot option always under Settings- -> General -> Cellular -> Setup Personal Hotspot ?
in iOS 6.1.3 i had the Personal Hotspot option right under Settings! now in iOS 7 it is under Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

edit: wait a second! i see the Personal Hotspot directly under Settings! how come the option is available at two places?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th September 2013 at 11:57.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:54   #6258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
in iOS 6.1.3 i had the Personal Hotspot option right under Settings! now in iOS 7 it is under Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.
Thats strange! As per my understanding, the Hotspot option was always under Cellular in Settings.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:23   #6259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats strange! As per my understanding, the Hotspot option was always under Cellular in Settings.
It is/was under Settings directly: Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth then Personal Hotspot, VPN and Carrier.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:34   #6260
Team-BHP Support

Now, i am not sure if there is a country specific release, as here in Oz land the Hotspot option is in the same place i had posted earlier.

However on iOS7, the option is directly under Settings.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:43   #6261
Senior - BHPian

here's the weird part - the Personal Hotspot wasn't there under Settings, until i went and fiddled with the Personal Hotspot settings under Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.

anyone who's not done this - can you check if Personal Hotspot shows up directly under Settings?
Old 19th September 2013, 13:00   #6262
BHPian

I had my first experience with iOS 7 on a iPOD touch and I'm underwhelmed. The design is so quirky it feels like a ugly amalgamation of Android and Windows 8. To highlight one such design is the music player design in iOS 7. Instead of the need shuffle and repeat icons, it's now text and with silly options. Jhonny is still the best industrial designer, but not anywhere near a Scott.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:03   #6263
Team-BHP Support

For me Personal Hotspot appears under Settings --> General --> Cellular.

Has anyone upgraded a 4S to IOS7? I would like to ensure that the battery life doesn't take a nose dive before I upgrade.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:05   #6264
Senior - BHPian

If i upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5,do i lose the applications and their data?
I am at 68% on real racing 3,do not want to lose on the progress due to the upgrade.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:22   #6265
Team-BHP Support

Sourav, this is exactly the reason why i would always suggest to anyone and even follow diligently myself - that do not jump in with the crowd. For any updates, i always wait a few days or a week till initial bugs are sorted out, and the update is stable.

Maybe you just need to wait a bit, since this being a worldwide release, there would be huge loads on the servers.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:23   #6266
Team-BHP Support

I can see the Hotspot in 2 places too.

Updated last night itself. I have mixed reactions about the look. Seems a bit Android like to me, but yet I'm enjoying the change. I think the colour choices in some areas could have been better, maybe adding more contrast.

But on the whole a thumbs up from me. The moving wallpapers, and especially the new weather forecast is great.

The control centre is something that should have been there all along. This one thing takes the usefulness of the phone up a notch.

Yet to try out new siri, which can apparently learn voices.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:33   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Back in 2010, when I got my IP4(dont remember the ios version), the hotspot was right under settings. I had used it on my laptop once and then never bothered about it as I hardly had any use for it. But later I noticed, it had disappeared. It was not under the settings>cellular too. I searched google/apple forums and realised it was a known issue. Whatever fixes suggested didnt work for me. Nor did it come back with all the updates till now. Since I never used it, I thought it might be a carrier issue and left it at that. However my wife's IP4S always had it under settings and allthrough updates never vanished.
Now I am happy to see it make a reappearance!
Old 19th September 2013, 13:45   #6268
BHPian

Quote:
Sourav, this is exactly the reason why i would always suggest to anyone and even follow diligently myself - that do not jump in with the crowd. For any updates, i always wait a few days or a week till initial bugs are sorted out, and the update is stable.

Maybe you just need to wait a bit, since this being a worldwide release, there would be huge loads on the servers.
Yeah, I guess I will have to wait. I've even tried reverting to 6.1.3, and that failed as well. It won't even restore from my backup.

I've given up for now. People at work were starting to stare at me after I repeatedly threw my arms in the air and mouthed curses at Apple.

Really sad, considering this has never happened before. Have had that phone for almost 3 years now, and it has never failed to update.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:01   #6269
Senior - BHPian

Just finished upgrading to ios7 on my iphone 5. Everything went fine. I first had to upgrade to iTunes 11.1 and only then does this upgrade proceed. Its very important that we upgrade the software with the source being apple. There are many other sites from where you can download the software and then upgrade via iTunes (not jail breaking). However, I feel such software could be buggy, causing issues. Also there are separate images for GSM and CDMA phones.

I did not like the home screen. It makes your iphone look like a cheap counterfeit.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:17   #6270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If i upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5,do i lose the applications and their data?
I am at 68% on real racing 3,do not want to lose on the progress due to the upgrade.
No you won't loose anything, to be on safer side backup the game on the gamer servers also, option is there in the game/settings/cloud save. You can also take a backup on icloud or itunes.

Personal hotspot is always there on the both places. initially it will show under settings/cellular/mobile, once you will enable it then it will show under settings.

Most Viewed