Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 02:28   #6346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
If one actually goes through the pain of lifting a fingerprint to unlock a phone, that phone better have something really valuable or he is better off targeting more than just a phone.
The disappointment for most Apple fans is that they broke no new ground here. This biometric exploit was always there, as someone above pointed out for almost a decade, and 'TouchID' should have been promoted for convenience than as a secure alternative to 'Passcodes'. (BTW, a Passcode is required to be setup, in case it doesn't recognise TouchID).

This is what Engadget had to say about the TouchID exploit. 'CCC claims it can be circumvented with "easy everyday means." According to CCC hacker "Starbug", tactics laid out in a how-to from 2004 are all that are required, with just a higher res fake needed to beat the Touch ID reader'.'The hardest part about hacking #touchid was to get our hands on an iPhone'
- Gerd Eist (@erdgeist) September 22, 2013

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/22/c...e-fingerprint/
Old 28th September 2013, 18:38   #6347
BHPian

I broke the screen of my iph5, went to service centre, they are asking for 20k to replace the phone. They will not repair the same, any good place in Delhi from where I can get the work done?
Old 28th September 2013, 21:32   #6348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
I broke the screen of my iph5, went to service centre, they are asking for 20k to replace the phone. They will not repair the same, any good place in Delhi from where I can get the work done?
I don't have an idea about a service center in Delhi and if you or any of your friends happened to visit Bangalore then you may try iKlinik. They are really good in screen replacements.

But I'm curious to know how did your screen broke? I know iPhone withstands drop test than any other phones.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:35   #6349
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
I broke my iPhone 4 glass a couple of days back (the LCD was still working), I got it replaced for 2500 INR at Irla, Mumbai they use 3rd party 'genuine' components.
Old 29th September 2013, 00:24   #6350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I don't have an idea about a service center in Delhi and if you or any of your friends happened to visit Bangalore then you may try iKlinik. They are really good in screen replacements. But I'm curious to know how did your screen broke? I know iPhone withstands drop test than any other phones.
Actually I was standing at some height on some sort of platform, suddenly out of nowhere someone punched me on my back and the phone slipped from my hand. Actually it's not totally broken, but have come out of the casing from one side, still working fine, I'm typing from my phone only. But still Apple is not reparing it.

By the way that someone is my WIFE!!!
Old 29th September 2013, 07:21   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I was standing at some height on some sort of platform, suddenly out of nowhere someone punched me on my back and the phone slipped from my hand. Actually it's not totally broken, but have come out of the casing from one side, still working fine, I'm typing from my phone only. But still Apple is not reparing it. By the way that someone is my WIFE!!!
I assume that some height should be more than 8 feet, going by the below YouTube video iPhone 5 can withstand an impact while falling on face for nearly 10 feet. But still I understand this can vary to a large extent on real scenario depending upon the angle of fall and the surface.

Last edited by treadmark : 29th September 2013 at 07:22.
Old 30th September 2013, 02:38   #6352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the same way Apple works even outside India. They do not repair the phone, but replace it with a refurbished one of similar specs.
Old 1st October 2013, 19:56   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Guys, using a silicon case may not look pretty and you cant flaunt your iPhone, But protects your 45K investment. I have had several instances and the silicon case has protected the phone very well.
Old 1st October 2013, 21:31   #6354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys, using a silicon case may not look pretty and you cant flaunt your iPhone, But protects your 45K investment. I have had several instances and the silicon case has protected the phone very well.
Completely agree with you, however I see soo many of my friends who are happy to use a 50K phone but cant spend few K's on a good protection cover for their phones. Can't understand the logic of it
Old 1st October 2013, 22:10   #6355
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Completely agree with you, however I see soo many of my friends who are happy to use a 50K phone but cant spend few K's on a good protection cover for their phones. Can't understand the logic of it
My opinion is that a 50K phone should have everything needed to protect it included in the box.
Old 1st October 2013, 22:37   #6356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
My iPhone4 is telling me to get the iPhone 5s asap.. it fell & the screen broke.. the glass.. not the LCD. As I bought it in France, I cannot go to an Apple Store in Mumbai; can anyone recommend a place where I can get the glass replaced?
Check out www.irepair.in , though it is in Bangalore , I remember someone saying they allow you to ship to them and get it serviced. Also I have heard they do a neat job and charge 1/3rd of apple store. Many of my friends who have phones bought from US or not under warranty have used their services and were satisfied.
Old 1st October 2013, 22:51   #6357
djs
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My opinion is that a 50K phone should have everything needed to protect it included in the box.
Don't want to start an debate however choice of accessories is up to users taste buds. That is how this huge market has evolved. Smartphones has built a complete ecosystem around them right from Apps to accesories to Jailbreak and what not. iphone cases range from few hundred rupees to thousands. I'm using Scoche polycarbonate case for my iphone 4. Provides decent protection and looks good as well. Also, cases help save your phone from prying eyes sometimes.

http://www.fommy.co.in/SCOSCHE-metal...lic-P89752.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Check out www.irepair.in , though it is in Bangalore , I remember someone saying they allow you to ship to them and get it serviced. Also I have heard they do a neat job and charge 1/3rd of apple store. Many of my friends who have phones bought from US or not under warranty have used their services and were satisfied.
I got my iPhone 4 screen replaced from irepair.in around March. This was the quote provided by them at that time.

Thank you for contacting iRepair
Original Display - Rs 5800/- (1year warranty)
Copy - Rs 3500/- (no warranty)
Time:45Mins,
Including Service charges.

Service was good. They informed me about hardware things which were not working, screws not in correct places etc. I already that knew because I had myself dismantled Iphone 4 few times earlier and replaced the malfunctioning vibrator etc.
Old 1st October 2013, 22:58   #6358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
My opinion is other way round, iPhones are robust (again comparatively) enough to withstand fall within 6 feet, this depends on the angle of fall as well which even a silicone case can't prevent damage to the phone if it falls with face down. You can refer various drop test available on YouTube.

Now why I have a different opinion on silicone case / corner bumper is; with this an iPhone will loose its charm and they are designed to work without these accessories. I haven't used any of these since my iPhone 3G to iPhone 5. This is just my personal opinion and this may of course vary from person to person.

Cheers!
Old 1st October 2013, 23:35   #6359
BHPian

^^ Apple has started to honor warranties for iPhone 5 bought from USA.

More Info I had posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3247194
Old 2nd October 2013, 07:21   #6360
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I have a peculiar problem with the 5. Every once in a while it is randomly self dialling numbers from my contacts and disconnects automatically. I tried looking up forums on the net and though this seems to be a problem which other users have experienced apple support is yet to acknowledge the issue and suggest/create its fix. Any one here has any knowledge of this and how to fix it? I do use a case with corner protectors and there was some talk on forums suggesting the case messes with the proximity sensor. I never had this problem with the first edition iPhone though.

Most Viewed