Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 22:06   #6826
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I love this forum. This is the exact same situation I find myself in currently.

Need to buy a phone for my wife and I have been thinking iPhone 4 all day today because this is available for something like 18k now and she's pretty well used to her iPad mini interface. Am holding back only due to the fear of being termed an idiot.
Personally, I feel - Go for iPhone 4S, with couple of thousands more. If the difference is 10K+, then go for iPhone 4.

My justification is based on the following:-

1. iOS 7 is the last upgrade for iPhone 4, and still you're not bug free for this Model. So, iOS 6 suits best for iPhone 4.
2. Lot of improvements in Camera section apart from 5 mp to 8mp in 4S.
3. GPU is much improved in 4S.
4. RAM doubled in 4S.
5. SIRI in 4S, even though it doesn't work fully in India.
6. 4S can be connected to LCD/LED TV's.

There are many other improvements, which you can compare on the Apple website. If you feel, the differences doesn't affect you much, I suggest you can go for iPhone 4, which is still a better option. My justification is based on the marginal increase in your budget, rather than the competence of the Models.
Old 25th May 2014, 04:26   #6827
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
LOL, it is awfully nice of you to conjoin Shankar's posted incidents on Golf and the new phone purchase and invent an entirely new & appropriate word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congrats on your putchase. Its still a very good phone. Your wife will definitely love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Nice finding.
Your catching of the word and relating it to golf posting is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Congrats on your iPhone purchase. Absolutely No brickbats, you're smart. iPhone 4S is still a very good phone. Even though the specs are comparable to current phones in the range of 15 - 25K, the performance is on par with the higher end phones ranging from 25 - 40K.

Don't go with the specs on paper, Apple products do perform much better and faster. The form factor is also perfect, unlike iPhone 5, which...

Even the Camera on 4S is excellent. It has to be noted that most of the iPhone 4S users have not upgraded to iPhone 5 or 5S, since they don't see any significant upgrade compared to their iPhone 4S. So, you could see huge demand for the iPhone 6, once it is launched, not only from first time buyers, but also from persons upgrading from iPhone 4 & 4S.

The warranty issues is applicable to only iPhone. So, other products have worldwide warranty coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I love this forum. This is the exact same situation I find myself in currently.

Need to buy a phone for my wife and I have been thinking iPhone 4 all day today because this is available for something like 18k now and she's pretty well used to her iPad mini interface. Am holding back only due to the fear of being termed an idiot.

Khoj old chap. What a funny one that was! Im still chortling away.
Iamswift. Yes, his spotting that was nothing short of 'Eagle' eyed...
HappyRoadie. Thanks for your approbation.
Jaaz. Thank you and I quite agree with all you have written. I am an extremely happy user of the iphone4S and indeed, vastly prefer it to iphone5.
Oxy. If you want further approbation then see below.

I have just bought a MacBook Air yesterday from Croma for my Father for Fathers Day to complete the trio of iDevices that he uses and in order to enhance his overall user experience. iPhone 5S, iPad2 and now MacBook Air. He loves the apple interface despite having been a Windows user for the last so many years. And he loves the elegance and aesthetics of apple design.

Then, (now I am going to duck), I went on FlipKart last afternoon and bought one more iPhone4S 8GB for my mother, because it is her birthday tomorrow and I want to bring her also fully onto the apple experience. She already uses the iPad2 and does FaceTime with us and does her emailing and referencing etc on it, so I thought it would be excellent to give her the full hand-held apple device experience through the iPhone 4S. She loves taking photos too so the 8GB camera will help her a lot I believe. The phone cost 23000/- on FlipKart and will be delivered today and I can help set it up properly, well in time for her birthday so I think it was a good deal.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th May 2014 at 04:30.
Old 25th May 2014, 08:31   #6828
BANNED

A friend gifted me a iPhone 4S bought from Australia 2 years ago. I haven't used it since I'm not an avid mobile user.

I'm having two problems with it:

1. It's locked to Australia and so Indian SIM will not work in it. Mobile service centers are asking 4K for it.

2. I had updated it to iOS 7 and now it stuck in DFU mode and iTunes restore/update is not working.

Please help me on these issues since I had spent long hours working on this phone and needs a reliable advice from BHP-ians(as always)
Old 25th May 2014, 10:04   #6829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
1. It's locked to Australia and so Indian SIM will not work in it. Mobile service centers are asking 4K for it.
Buy a Gevey / RSIM. This is hardware unlock. This sits between your India SIM card and iPhone and fakes that inserted SIM is Australian (locked) operator.

For a start, see this link: http://www.dx.com/p/r-sim5-sim-card-...-01-5-0-171584

When you get it from dx, you can get it for around $5 (approx Rs. 300). But probably you have to wait for a month to get it delivered.
Gevey sims are available in India as well - but are generally priced approx Rs.1500 and above.
Old 25th May 2014, 17:25   #6830
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

So the iPhone 4S 8GB white was delivered at lunchtime today.
Have migrated my Mum onto it straightaway and she is mighty pleased with the aesthetics and the ease of the iOS system as a consumption device.
Mission accomplished and now I shall have to do the same for my wife as well next month when I pop over that side...
Old 26th May 2014, 19:24   #6831

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So the iPhone 4S 8GB white was delivered at lunchtime today.
Have migrated my Mum onto it straightaway and she is mighty pleased with the aesthetics and the ease of the iOS system as a consumption device.
Mission accomplished and now I shall have to do the same for my wife as well next month when I pop over that side...
Great to hear that. IOS is indeed very simple as compared to android. I have had used android very intensively for many years. Just a month back purchased IPhone 5C. Very happy and content with the device. Contacts were transferred very easily with no hassle and I left my SMS and Whatsapp data backup on my computer. Though there are softwares available to transfer both SMS and Whatsapp data to IPhone from Android but I did not use it as I used the software when doing the migration for my friend and some problem occurred.

Anyways hope your mother and wife both have a pleasant experience using the device
Old 27th May 2014, 21:26   #6832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Buy a Gevey / RSIM. This is hardware unlock. This sits between your India SIM card and iPhone and fakes that inserted SIM is Australian (locked) operator.

For a start, see this link: http://www.dx.com/p/r-sim5-sim-card-...-01-5-0-171584

When you get it from dx, you can get it for around $5 (approx Rs. 300). But probably you have to wait for a month to get it delivered.
Gevey sims are available in India as well - but are generally priced approx Rs.1500 and above.
Thanks for the info. Did you had positive experience with these SIMs ?
Old 27th May 2014, 21:49   #6833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends has been using it for years now on an ip4 he bought in France, no troubles.
Old 28th May 2014, 11:48   #6834
Senior - BHPian

Guys!

Please help me locate a good screen replacement center (in Gurgaon or Delhi) for iPod and iPad. Both the devices now have smashed screens courtesy my 18 months old son. The devices still work properly except each has corner that is not exactly Steve Jobs intended it to be

Thanks!
Old 28th May 2014, 13:16   #6835
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Personally, I feel - Go for iPhone 4S, with couple of thousands more. If the difference is 10K+, then go for iPhone 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Oxy. If you want further approbation then see below.
Then, (now I am going to duck), I went on FlipKart last afternoon and bought one more iPhone4S 8GB for my mother....

The phone cost 23000/- on FlipKart...
Jaaz, Shankar - Thanks a ton for the input guys, was of immense help.

Flipkart jacked up the prices for both 4 and 4s models. The white iPhone 4s is now Rs.24,650 on Flipkart (I was particular about the white colour). Saw Amazon selling the same for Rs.23,620, so went ahead and placed the order there.

Wife insisted not to spend those extra Rs.5700 and was willing to settle for a black iPhone 4 (Rs.17,985 on Amazon), but I was just not convinced enough after reading your posts.

I hope it turns out to be the right decision in the end.
Old 28th May 2014, 21:04   #6836
BHPian

Looking for suggestions/advise from iphone users for easy switch from Samsung S2 to iphone 5s.My cousin bought an iphone 5s last week.We are trying to make the switch as smooth as possible.But we find it bit complicated and not so user friendly as others mentioned in this thread.

First issue was with contact transfer. It didn't allow transferring contact through bluetooth or wifi direct. As the sim cards are of different type, tranferring using SIM card also won't work.Finally we did google sync and transferred by setting up the google account on iphone.

Similar problems were faced on music transfer also. The song/video collection on his external memory card was not getting easily transferred, as bluetooth or wifi direct is not available. Also if we connet the iphone to computer, it just shows only one folder "DCIM" and that folder is a read only one. :(

Later we realised that without itunes, you can't use the phone much beyond the call and sms options.
Then on the apps store we found vlc and thought of using it. Again we were totally dissatisfied as vlc on iphone require file syncing through itunes.

So,in short we don't find the easy file transfer (using wifi direct ,bluetooth) ,drag and drop (to and fro) from your computer,or using utorrent,vlc and other applications options in iphone , as easy as S2.

Now with instashare and my file explorer applications, I'm able to do some of the file transfers. But still not able to get into 50% of the easiness or user friendliness of S2.

After searching google what I found is this phone works better if you have other apple products together.The airdrop and other sharing method works with apple family of products.

Not sure if we are missing some settings, as we are totally new to iphone platform.
Looking for suggestions/advice for smooth transition.
Old 29th May 2014, 00:42   #6837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Looking for suggestions/advise from iphone users for easy switch from Samsung S2 to iphone 5s.My cousin bought an iphone 5s last week.We are trying to make the switch as smooth as possible.But we find it bit complicated and not so user friendly as others mentioned in this thread.

Later we realised that without itunes, you can't use the phone much beyond the call and sms options.
Then on the apps store we found vlc and thought of using it. Again we were totally dissatisfied as vlc on iphone require file syncing through itunes.

So,in short we don't find the easy file transfer (using wifi direct ,bluetooth) ,drag and drop (to and fro) from your computer,or using utorrent,vlc and other applications options in iphone , as easy as S2.

After searching google what I found is this phone works better if you have other apple products together.The airdrop and other sharing method works with apple family of products.

Not sure if we are missing some settings, as we are totally new to iphone platform.
You're on the other side of the Fence. This is exactly why Apple product haters hate. Even though Apple products are of excellent quality, this is exactly, why many people have not switched over to them.

Apple products are very good If you use entire family of Apple products.

Don't worry, Apple products, apart from sharing issues are very good to use. Once you start using them, you'll get used to them. iOS is more easy to use and simple than Android.

I've observed many people get rid of iPhone within a month, OR beyond this period, they'll become Apple Fans. There are many ways of sharing, but they're all cumbersome.

Apple Engineers, never think of any other Country, except USA, while designing. Highest revenue earning does not come from hardware, but Content. That's the reason, they discourage sharing.

Finally, Welcome to Apple Family

Last edited by jaaz : 29th May 2014 at 00:47.
Old 29th May 2014, 08:47   #6838
BHPian

Quote:
Using it on my iphone5 which I bought it from Japan for more than a year.
At least some five friends of mine are using it in their iphone4s and iphone5.
Old 29th May 2014, 13:09   #6839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post

First issue was with contact transfer. It didn't allow transferring contact through bluetooth or wifi direct. As the sim cards are of different type, tranferring using SIM card also won't work.Finally we did google sync and transferred by setting up the google account on iphone.

Similar problems were faced on music transfer also. The song/video collection on his external memory card was not getting easily transferred, as bluetooth or wifi direct is not available. Also if we connet the iphone to computer, it just shows only one folder "DCIM" and that folder is a read only one. :(

Now with instashare and my file explorer applications, I'm able to do some of the file transfers. But still not able to get into 50% of the easiness or user friendliness of S2.

Hi,

First welcome to Apple Family. I am unfortunately migrating from Apple to Android. None the less, will try to help you migrating to Apple.

1. Contacts: You did the best thing by syncing the contacts with Google.
2. Music: Install iTunes. Once you get the hang of it, you will find everything else cumbersome to use. Once installed, create a playlist and drag drop all your songs into the playlist. Then go to your phone within iTunes and click on sync. That should get you started. You can then slowly explore more options within iTunes for syncing other entities.

Hope this helps. I only had an iPhone and no other apple product but never felt handicapped.

MaSh
Old 29th May 2014, 15:32   #6840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I am unfortunately migrating from Apple to Android.
Interesting how the cross migration works, any specific reasons for you to make the jump off the apple ecosystem into the wild wild west of Android mash?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks