Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 23:24   #706
Team-BHP Support

and as we speak some one has already un-boxed the new phone also First iPhone 3G caught in the wild, unboxed and handled - Engadget

On the other hand lot of anger building up due to the ridiculous plans the telecom providers are coming out with, in Canada the heat felt by apple themselves that they have pulled out of selling it through apple store (so my chances have become slime to procure from Canada :( ) am also angry now!

AppleInsider | Spat with Rogers leaves Canadian Apple stores without iPhones
Old 9th July 2008, 09:09   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What do the current iPhone owners think about this? Are you guys planning to shift over to the new one once it's launched here?

I am not sure what the resale price of the iPhone non-3g now is, but i wouldn't mind putting 2000-3000max over the price i get on my iPhone to get the 3g.
I mean how different is it really? Considering 3g is functionality is still useless in India.
I sold mine last saturday for 15K, mine was 3months old and had bought it for 17K.
I was offered 17K if I had the box

Anyways I think that the resale value of the the 1st Gen iPhone will really come down once the new one hits the market.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:37   #708
Senior - BHPian

It seems that GPS cannot give you turn by turn instructions. The antenna is supposed to be small for that. You can just trace your trail.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:49   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

As we all know the iphone 3G worldwide launch ( except india??? ) is on this friday. I came across an article that it may not be launched in India by Septemeber as we are not yet 3G compatible. Is it true that it won't be launched in Septemeber?
Old 9th July 2008, 17:46   #710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
It seems that GPS cannot give you turn by turn instructions. The antenna is supposed to be small for that. You can just trace your trail.
This is not coz of any antenna or hardware issue, but since google maps that come bundled doesnt have that option yet. Once the 3rd party map applications come for iPhone, issue should be sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As we all know the iphone 3G worldwide launch ( except india??? ) is on this friday. I came across an article that it may not be launched in India by Septemeber as we are not yet 3G compatible. Is it true that it won't be launched in Septemeber?
24 countries on July 11th, remaining will be "coming soon" which includes India. Apple - iPhone - Choose a Country

Nobody at apple india or the telecom operators have given out any dates, though all are speculating it for sept based on "reliable sources". No they are not waiting for 3G as far as i know.

It has more to do with logistics and financial details, since India will be one of the biggest launch for iPhone. No of Telecom shops and spread that Airtel and Vodafone has, mostly they will start with Metro's first is my speculation.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2008 at 17:47.
Old 9th July 2008, 18:52   #711
BHPian

Got to know that Vodafone "had planned" to launch iPhone on July 11th Friday. However it may get delayed as the initial set of phones are still stuck in customs. The pricing is expected to be Rs 14k/18k/22k for 4/8/16GB models. They will be sim-locked phones with some minimum signup duration. Charges are still being finalized.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:40   #712
BHPian

i thought the 4GB was done with. Are they trying to re-launch it again for the indian and other markets????
Old 9th July 2008, 20:22   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Got to know that Vodafone "had planned" to launch iPhone on July 11th Friday. However it may get delayed as the initial set of phones are still stuck in customs. The pricing is expected to be Rs 14k/18k/22k for 4/8/16GB models. They will be sim-locked phones with some minimum signup duration. Charges are still being finalized.
eh, are you sure?

4GB aint available anymore moreover they are launching 3G phone, so 4 GB is definitely ruled out, check Vodafone site.

Its a rumor buddy, you can let it pass.

It will definitely be NOT launched in India this Friday
Old 9th July 2008, 20:50   #714
Team-BHP Support

- Indiatimes Infotech

Even as a big frenzy has built up for Apple's second-generation iPhone 3G across 22 countries, buyers in India are unlikely to be able to lay their hands upon iPhone before August end.

And that is not all. While the 8GB model is to be priced at $199 in the US, the same could carry a tag close to Rs 14,000 to 15,000 in India, according to sources. While the iconic cell phone goes on sale from Friday in most nations, India will at best see a soft launch of the two 8GB and 16GB models.

Vodafone will be the first operator to launch iPhone in India, followed by Bharti Airtel. A soft launch would mean displaying, booking and seeding of a limited number of handsets and announcement of pricing and availability schedule.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:46   #715
BHPian

If AT&T says they will give no commitment iphone 8GB for $599, And when Airtel Says that there is no question of any subsidy for iPhone as, in US the call charges are like 25 cents a minute and in India are like 1-2 cents a minute, Then what makes us think that iPhone will be any cheaper than $599 in India.

Moreover when the guys know that people would be ready to pay 21K + for this phone, why would they charge only 14K.

Moreover HTC TYTN II or Tilt comes for $149 in the US, so does that mean it should cost 8K in India !!!! Its 33K in India Guys.

I dont think its going to be any lesser than 21Kor rather 25K in India...

I may be wrong, but that what i think..............
Old 9th July 2008, 21:56   #716
BHPian

sim-locked 16gb iphone for 21k is too much.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:20   #717
Team-BHP Support

Lil on the off topic side: Any idea how much is the customs duty for mobile phone, ie if one orders through net an iphone?
Old 9th July 2008, 22:33   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lil on the off topic side: Any idea how much is the customs duty for mobile phone, ie if one orders through net an iphone?

well if you are ordering form ebay or any other site try convincing them to write: GIFT ITEM /FREE ITEM and try getting it from a private courier company not USPS/or any govt postal service (there's a reason behind this long one), though it will cost you a few bucks more but you will be on safer side!

by the way to your question:

India import duty for mobile phones is rated zero. However there will be the countervailing duty of 16% and other taxes including the anti-dumping duty for suppliers of some countries.

Post edited. Remove font/size tags before posting. SMS language is not allowed. Please go through announcement section to follow the board rules.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th July 2008 at 22:50.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:36   #719
BHPian

for people who are interested in iphone 21-25k for a locked 16gb iphone is not much as the cracked import 16gb variant sells for 25k+ anyways (20k for 8gb). Instead of spending on a cracked iphone, people would rather spend the same on an officially launched one.
And yes people did pay 19k for a airtel locked htc touch at one point in time, why not iphone then, I wouldn't pay, but I am sure there are people who would besides apple has always been an overpriced brand in india and I guess it will be that way. I doubt we are going to get any cheap iphones, if we do, then yeah its great for the iphone lovers here

Last edited by jassi : 10th July 2008 at 00:38.
Old 10th July 2008, 08:56   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
for people who are interested in iphone 21-25k for a locked 16gb iphone is not much as the cracked import 16gb variant sells for 25k+ anyways (20k for 8gb). Instead of spending on a cracked iphone, people would rather spend the same on an officially launched one.
And yes people did pay 19k for a airtel locked htc touch at one point in time, why not iphone then, I wouldn't pay, but I am sure there are people who would besides apple has always been an overpriced brand in india and I guess it will be that way. I doubt we are going to get any cheap iphones, if we do, then yeah its great for the iphone lovers here

well as per the rate company is quoting for the pay as you go will be $599(around 25k) for 8gb and $699(29.5k) , so do you expect that here in india you'll get this at 21k for 8gb ..

Well if you remember that when the price of iphone was 400 then it was selling at around 30k in indian market (ghaffar market ,delhi)

and when it was launched it had gone upto 60k price on some selling sites , and people buyed it at that time..

well to me ,it's looking like that ,if someone gets hands on iphone 3g without contract will cost you a hole in pocket for sure .

there are some sites already selling iphone 3g (just bookings) and they are costing us more than $800+ for just 8gb ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
sim-locked 16gb iphone for 21k is too much.
too much ,how much it will take to get it unlocked and 16gb hdd,who's providing it ??? i don't think so anyone in world having a 16gb in a mobile .

welll all have their mind and different requirements , to me iphone 16gb for 21k i will be the first one to grab it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks