Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 09:21   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

updated to IOS 9 on my 6, didn't feel any difference so far, wife's 4s had major battery issues as per the description this update should reduce the consumption, updated that as well, the screen does not turn off when the phone is turned face down in both the phones, am I missing something.

Pramod
Old 18th September 2015, 10:12   #7922
Distinguished - BHPian

I use an Iphone 4 as a secondary phone. Almost for the past 4-5 years.
Yesterday, I took it out after a few months, and it was dead. When I put it on charge, the a battery flashes on the screen, but the phone doesn't charge. Is this repairable, or is it time to junk this, finally?
If repairable, can this be fixed pronto, or does this require the phone to be left for some days. Although I am sure there's no data on the device, but not entirely so.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:32   #7923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yesterday, I took it out after a few months, and it was dead. When I put it on charge, the a battery flashes on the screen, but the phone doesn't charge. Is this repairable, or is it time to junk this, finally?
If repairable, can this be fixed pronto, or does this require the phone to be left for some days. Although I am sure there's no data on the device, but not entirely so.
i think the time has come to replace the battery. doable, but not sure of the timeline.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:38   #7924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Leave it on the charger for a few hours, or even overnight. Had a similar issue with my ipad, and it got fixed just by the above. You can even google it, its a common issue after not using a device for a few months.
Old 18th September 2015, 10:52   #7925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
updated to IOS 9 on my 6, didn't feel any difference so far, wife's 4s had major battery issues as per the description this update should reduce the consumption, updated that as well, the screen does not turn off when the phone is turned face down in both the phones, am I missing something.

Pramod
Yes, looks like there is a misunderstanding.
The display in screen is not going to turn off when the phone is kept face down whilst your iPhone knows if it’s face down on the table and prevents the screen from turning on, even when you receive a notification.
One another note is the above feature will not be available with 4S, it is supported on 5S or later.

Cheers!
Old 18th September 2015, 11:09   #7926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
from Apple site about iOS 9 features:

Quote:
Even longer battery life.

Across the entire operating system, apps and key technologies have been made more efficient to trim battery usage wherever possible — so you get more battery life for the things you do every day. Thanks to ambient light and proximity sensors, your iPhone knows if it’s facedown on the table and prevents the screen from turning on, even when you receive a notification.* And the new Low Power mode lets you extend your battery life even further.

*Facedown detection is supported on iPhone 5s or later.
Old 18th September 2015, 12:37   #7927
Senior - BHPian

Got it, Makes sense.

Wife's 4s suffered a freeze and crash in the morning, looks like 9.1 should be out with bug fixes in a few days

Pramod
Old 18th September 2015, 12:54   #7928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wife's 4s suffered a freeze and crash in the morning, looks like 9.1 should be out with bug fixes in a few days

How is it performing otherwise on the 4S? I have a 4S and I am still on the fence regarding this upgrade. My phone is currently running iOS 7.1. Didn't upgrade to 8 as I did not want to lose disk space.
Old 18th September 2015, 13:11   #7929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
How is it performing otherwise on the 4S? I have a 4S and I am still on the fence regarding this upgrade. My phone is currently running iOS 7.1. Didn't upgrade to 8 as I did not want to lose disk space.
the phone looks rather normal other than the subtle changes in the UI, its hanging now and then. Don't know how the battery is holding now, she required a mid day recharge after the morning recharge.

I am thinking of upgrading her phone as well, the challenge is she is too used to the solid feel of a 4S, I am not sure if she would upgrade to a 6, but 5S is on the cards

Pramod
Old 18th September 2015, 14:22   #7930
BHPian

Quote:
the phone looks rather normal other than the subtle changes in the UI, its hanging now and then. Don't know how the battery is holding now, she required a mid day recharge after the morning recharge.

I am thinking of upgrading her phone as well, the challenge is she is too used to the solid feel of a 4S, I am not sure if she would upgrade to a 6, but 5S is on the cards

Pramod
Please be aware that only 5S models brought in India would support 4G , if you are planning to buy a second hand 5s from US it would not work on 4g here in India.
Old 18th September 2015, 15:04   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Please be aware that only 5S models brought in India would support 4G , if you are planning to buy a second hand 5s from US it would not work on 4g here in India.
Even new 5S does not have 4G support(something manufactured in recent past)? I am definitely not planning to buy her a used phone, 4G wont be a show stopper as of now because it will take the service providers at least 1 year for upgrading their network here in kerala, by that time we would upgrade..

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th September 2015 at 15:05.
Old 18th September 2015, 17:15   #7932
BHPian

Quote:
Even new 5S does not have 4G support(something manufactured in recent past)? I am definitely not planning to buy her a used phone, 4G wont be a show stopper as of now because it will take the service providers at least 1 year for upgrading their network here in kerala, by that time we would upgrade..

Pramod
Both 5s and 5 support airtel 4g/LTE in Airtel , but those should be purchased in India
Old 18th September 2015, 17:32   #7933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both 5s and 5 support airtel 4g/LTE in Airtel , but those should be purchased in India
It will be purchased from here, I was under the impression that you said phones in india don't support 4G. Good that they do.

Pramod
Old 18th September 2015, 17:51   #7934
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I have iPhone 5 and Airtel 4G is not supported here in Mumbai. It is specific to the circles. Mumbai circle of Airtel is on TDD LTE band, that is 2300 Mhz and it is supported on iPhone 5s and above.

On another note, I was told by Airtel people that I could have 4G access on my iPhone 5 in Hyderabad and some other cities. Essentially, they wanted me to change my city to make 4G work on my phone
Old 18th September 2015, 18:51   #7935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Not really. I have iPhone 5 and Airtel 4G is not supported here in Mumbai. It is specific to the circles. Mumbai circle of Airtel is on TDD LTE band, that is 2300 Mhz and it is supported on iPhone 5s and above.

On another note, I was told by Airtel people that I could have 4G access on my iPhone 5 in Hyderabad and some other cities. Essentially, they wanted me to change my city to make 4G work on my phone
Airtel uses the same TDD-LTE in 2300 MHz throughout. And iphone 5 is not supported as per their site.

Most Viewed