Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 14:26   #856
BHPian

I guess the 4gb one is not such a bad option for someone who needs a second phone. I would not get any of the models as a primary phone after what steeriod posted.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:18   #857
BHPian

i'm just going to wait till the first week of september.....if the iphone is going to come with a Rs.1000 a month contract then i'm straight away picking up a n-95 8gb/n96 or HTC or better still probably pick up the 1st gen iphone for a lower price.

the wait for the iphone has caused enough pain and misery!!!
Old 19th August 2008, 16:36   #858
BHPian

Just saw this on Tv on Zee Business. I phone launches for 25,500 (what model??)
They confirmed it with their reporter who didn't even have any idea regarding the phone features.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:08   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
They confirmed it with their reporter who didn't even have any idea regarding the phone features.
25K+, thats crazy pricing. I was expecting it in the range of 20k. Hope its for the higest end model ( if there is one)
Old 19th August 2008, 17:56   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
This is what I call gossip, not journalism. Unfortunately, I think our mass media channels are all equally incompetent.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:36   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why not? We dont really need the iPhone 3G here. I think the old one at much lower prices makes a lot of sense.
Yes and NO, yes for still not having 3G network and a version 1 with latest software makes sense. Unless you have a habit of getting lost in city like me (read as: Particular that a full fledged GPS functionality, ok lets not get into turn by turn and all)

No again for launch of ver 1 iPhone after all this hoopla of publicity, somebody would have clarified it by now lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
This is what I call gossip, not journalism. Unfortunately, I think our mass media channels are all equally incompetent.
"Nobody" has info on actual price, right from the Airtel guy to Apple India. Its kept as a very bid "secret", lets hope they reveal it with details atleast by tomorrow!

I wish i just went ahead an picked an unlocked one from phorein land as originally planned, this wait/tease is frustrating!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2008 at 19:04.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:03   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Here are some of the 'extraordinary' features of the iPhone. Got this as an email:

No video calling

No AD2P on the Bluetooth

Can't share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth

Can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)

No copy and paste,(cannot copy a part of a.... say.... email & send it....have to type it out yourself)

No 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera,(the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera i've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera)

No video recording with camera,

No front camera,

No flash.

No JAVA support

No physical keyboard (BELIEVE me! this alone is a dealbreaker...touch
keyboard as good as it looks...once you use it then only you come to know about the importance of having a hard keypad)

No 3G network yet in India..so why pay for expensive 3G phone if you cant use its 3G services ... so, for India, iPhone 2.0 is no better than its first version

No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)

No haptic feedback.

Cannot send MMS.

Can't use as external storage device (16 GB of utter waste..next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, etc...sorry you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it!!!! Apple apparently has a solution.. " BUY MUSIC & MOVIES FROM iTUNES STORE "..... Give me a break will you APPLE!!!)

No FM radio,

Can't use your mp3 files as ringtones,(This is heights man!!!)

Cannot insert any other SIM card

Completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone.

list goes on & on & on
ADD:

1. Cannot select network (while roaming)

2. Cannot hold a 3G signal for any half-decent stretch of time

3. Cannot choose the mail account you want to send your mail from (if you have multiple mail accounts configured) - it always sends from the 'default' account, which is pretty embarassing when you reply to your boss's urgent mail from your Gmail account (happened to me)

4. Cannot cut and paste SMSs (or anything else)

5. Does not have separate sent and received folders for SMS - all your messages appear in the same list.

6. Offers push mail that really needs some pushing - in many cases it includes turning the phone off and on again to get it to reacquire 3G signals.

7. Will show your appointments in Cupertino time rather than the timezone you have selected (I get reminders for meetings at 2 am in the morning)

8. Does not support nicknames for your contacts

9. Does not support categories for contacts

10.Does not allow you to set a primary phone number for a contact - you have to open up the contact info and dial the number you want everytime.

11.Does not allow you to scan business cards in. Dont know if it supports vCard, but since this is Apple I guess they are yet to discover things like this.

12.Does not allow you to rearrange your icons or sort them by different categories.

13.Does not support auto-disconnect of data sessions - your session goes on for ever.

14. Does not ask you before initiating a data session, as a result of which several of those 'APPS' rack up serious data usage without you getting to know of it. I'm not complaining about this - it gives us good data revenues, but it also leads to a lot of customer complaints that we can do nothing about.

15.Does not automatically switch between WiFi and 3G (at least for me) if you happen to lose a WiFi connection.

16.Does not let you set up preferred modes of connecting to the net - WiFi or 3G, you leave it to apple to figure out the best way.

17.Does not let you save multiple APNs for different service providers - you have to set up the APN every time you change your SIM.

18.Does not give you the option of SMS over GPRS.

19.Has really lousy T9 or prediction of typed out words - again, you cant set up the unit to predict your word after 'x' number of letters or show 1,2,3,4 or 5 different words as you choose in Win Mo.

10.Does not have D9 - you cannot dial a contact by typing in the letters of his name on the keypad.

11.Cannot filter or sort call records by called numbers, incoming numbers and missed numbers.

Many more coming up. This thing is a good timepass - making calls, organizing your work, sending emails and forwarding SMSs are all secondary. Just keep fooling around with the cool interface and listen to music on the iPod interface and hopefully you will forget all about work.

PS: If any of you know how to make the phone do any of the above, please do let me know. I am a very frustrated user at the moment, but I love the interface.

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th August 2008 at 22:19.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:17   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
i'm just going to wait till the first week of september.....if the iphone is going to come with a Rs.1000 a month contract then i'm straight away picking up a n-95 8gb/n96 or HTC or better still probably pick up the 1st gen iphone for a lower price.

the wait for the iphone has caused enough pain and misery!!!
Go for n-95 8gb/n96 and you wont repent your decision Even HTC is good though not as good as the previous 2. And as for Iphone its not just worth the money will all the features missing.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:25   #864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
12.Does not allow you to rearrange your icons or sort them by different categories.

PS: If any of you know how to make the phone do any of the above, please do let me know. I am a very frustrated user at the moment, but I love the interface.

3. Cannot choose the mail account you want to send your mail from (if you have multiple mail accounts configured) - it always sends from the 'default' account, which is pretty embarassing when you reply to your boss's urgent mail from your Gmail account (happened to me)
Ill try for point 12 Hold down the icon till it starts to wiggle around, then you can move it around. You can group them by moving it to a new window/home screen, when you hold and move it to the right. Upto 9 home screen/categories can be created. Favorites etc also can be also categorized and given a separate home screen.

If you are replying then it should go out from the same account right? Or If you mean when you close and reopen mails it sents from default account?? Exit out of the account (long press home key) then you get the option to choose the email account for sending email when you open mails again. Slightly confused with 3

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2008 at 22:31. Reason: confused with 3
Old 19th August 2008, 22:42   #865
Team-BHP Support

Price confirmed Vodafone!!

The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively.

Vodafone - iPhone

Data plan info:

Postpaid plans for iPhone

iPhone 499 iPhone 799 iPhone 999
Monthly fees (Rs/month) 499 799 999
All local calls (Re/min) 0.60 0.60 0.60
All STD calls(Re/min) 1 1 1
SMS (Rs/SMS)
Local 1 1 1
National 2 2 2
International 5 5 5
Free minutes (Local +STD) per month 199 249 299
iPhone data browsing charges 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb
Free data usage (MB) per month 50 250 600

Or you can just add an iPhone data plan on your already existing Vodafone Postpaid plan:
Postpaid data plan for iPhone

iPhone Data Pack 199 iPhone Data Pack 499 iPhone Data Pack 699
Monthly fees (INR) 199 499 699
iPhone data browsing charges 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb 5p/10Kb
Free data usage (MB) per month 50 250 600
Savings % 61% 81% 89%

If you're a Prepaid customer you can simply add the below Prepaid data plan for iPhone on your Vodafone Prepaid tariff plan:
Prepaid data plan for iPhone
iPhone Prepaid data Bonus Card

Monthly fees (INR) 100
iPhone data browsing charges 5p/10Kb
Free data usage (MB) per month Nil

Vodafone-iPhone

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2008 at 23:38.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:45   #866
Team-BHP Support

Man the price is a killer. Sad. I was looking at changing my Touch.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:18   #867
BHPian

Good grace !!! that's a hole in pocket .. but what have we here ,they have withdrawn the page link to the details of the prices..

I was thinking that and they have done that beofre i can see it
Old 19th August 2008, 23:30   #868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
Good grace !!! that's a hole in pocket .. but what have we here ,they have withdrawn the page link to the details of the prices..

I was thinking that and they have done that beofre i can see it
LOL dont tell me i Scooped out the info while they were uploading/testing!! Anyways they might be reserving it as a secured login for pre registered customers. We have the official info from Vodafone site, no more rumors!
Old 19th August 2008, 23:33   #869
BANNED

How to get iPhone?

Quote:
The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively. And as you have already pre-registered with us, you can get it before others do. All you need to do is drop in at a select Vodafone Store between August 20 and 21 and confirm your booking by paying Rs 10000 through cash or credit card. Don't forget to show the iPhone booking SMS, which you would have received from us, when you visit the Vodafone Store to make the deposit.

Do that, and we'll give you an appointment date and time starting August 22, when you can come and experience a full demonstration as well as collect your iPhone 3G, all ready to use with your contacts and settings, by paying the balance amount.

Vodafone - iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively.
Old 19th August 2008, 23:35   #870
Senior - BHPian

I hope airtel prices it better.
Man i was so looking forward to buy the iphone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks