Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:54   #8731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any info on price? I too am thinking but then, I am just so satisfied with my current phone that I am not bothering.

Do know, it will be an upgrade on all counts. Maybe will pass on my 5S to wife
The 16gb would be 30k. This was on bgr.in.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:29   #8732
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

The 16 GB variant costs 39k!! I wonder why anyone would buy this phone for such a price when iPhone 6 is cheaper phone supposed to be India specific but pricing has already killed it in my opinion!
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:42   #8733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
The 16 GB variant costs 39k!! I wonder why anyone would buy this phone for such a price when iPhone 6 is cheaper phone supposed to be India specific but pricing has already killed it in my opinion!
All you have to do is wait for a couple of months. Prices will drop by then. Remember how the 6S too was atrociously priced? Discounts started coming in a matter of months.
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:53   #8734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Everyone doesn't need a 5 inch screen. I am perfectly fine with a 4 inch or at max a 4.5. It is a weird feeling to have something creeping in your crotch area always or that you are taking out your phone [because of size] and demonstrating it to everyone.

Hardware has been vastly improved, hence the price increase. The same 5S costed this much around 6+ months back. No one complained.

Apple must have thought about something to launch a phone in 4 inch screen.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd March 2016 at 14:57.
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:09   #8735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Everyone doesn't need a 5 inch screen. I am perfectly fine with a 4 inch or at max a 4.5. It is a weird feeling to have something creeping in your crotch area always or that you are taking out your phone [because of size] and demonstrating it to everyone.

Hardware has been vastly improved, hence the price increase. The same 5S costed this much around 6+ months back. No one complained.

Apple must have thought about something to launch a phone in 4 inch screen.
+ 1 Sheel. I also like phones with smaller screens. Was eagerly looking forward to this one. However @ Rs.39K it is priced a tad too high. Same phone without contract costs $399 in the US. At today's exchange rate this should result in a price of Rs.26K and may be Rs.30K with duties and taxes etc. I feel there may not be many takers for this phone in India @ this price.

Last edited by naut : 22nd March 2016 at 15:10.
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:39   #8736
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

India pricing for Apple products is stupidly insane.
Not worth paying such a fat premium at all.

Even though I did pay Rs 85K all in all for my Macbook Air some 4 years ago when I could have gotten the same thing at 1100 USD had I just been a bit patient and waited till I went on a trip outside.

The iPhone 6 that I am using came at more or less the same price as it was, in the US, because of a special deal on Amazon that I took advantage of.

But all in all, it is very irritating to have to pay such a huge price nearly 1/3rd more, for every Apple Product in India as compared to the price abroad.
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:49   #8737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just downloaded iOS 9.3 on my 6. The only two noticeable changes are:
- Night Shift (under Display & Brightness): I have set that to sunrise to sunset to I think it'll automatically change the display based on my phone's location
- Ability to Passcode for individual apps (Notes) and restrict view for Notifications/Siri etc. on Locked screen

Not that incremental, unless Night Shift is a big deal.
Here's how my iPhone screen looks like with Night Shift enabled. May be psychological, but the screen seems more easy on the eye.

The iPhone Thread-img_1492.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd March 2016 at 19:52.
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:12   #8738
Senior - BHPian

Some of you have bought your iPhones from the US. The Apple Stores and places like Best Buy etc only sell phones with a contract. My query is "Where can I buy an iPhone without a contract in the US". I may be visiting New York / New Jersey soon.
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:17   #8739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Some of you have bought your iPhones from the US. The Apple Stores and places like Best Buy etc only sell phones with a contract. My query is "Where can I buy an iPhone without a contract in the US". I may be visiting New York / New Jersey soon.
The Apple store sells Iphones without contracts. However, if you plan to use them in India, I suggest you buy it here itself. Phones with US warranties (talking about my experience with the 6s) are not touched by our service centers.
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:19   #8740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You get unlocked iPhones everywhere: Apple's websites/stores, BestBuy, retailers and carrier stores

I bought mine at AT&T (a carrier) and paid upfront; I just had to call AT&T customer care to request them to unlock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
The Apple store sells Iphones without contracts. However, if you plan to use them in India, I suggest you buy it here itself. Phones with US warranties (talking about my experience with the 6s) are not touched by our service centers.
Yep; good point. Other thing is different radio settings; LTE works only in certain cities in India on my phone since radio settings are not supported. The Airtel rep said eventually they'll support all bands though.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd March 2016 at 20:22.
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:20   #8741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
The Apple store sells Iphones without contracts.
Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
However, if you plan to use them in India, I suggest you buy it here itself. Phones with US warranties (talking about my experience with the 6s) are not touched by our service centers.
I don't mind sacrificing the warranty if the price difference is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You get unlocked iPhones everywhere: Apple's websites/stores, BestBuy, retailers and carrier stores

I bought mine at AT&T (a carrier) and paid upfront; I just had to call AT&T customer care to request them to unlock it.

Yep; good point. Other thing is different radio settings; LTE works only in certain cities in India on my phone since radio settings are not supported. The Airtel rep said eventually they'll support all bands though.
Thanks for the info. Will check out these stores.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 22nd March 2016 at 20:29.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:10   #8742
BHPian

Quote:
Please be warned, the iPhone warranty is really good to have . I recently bought a 5s for my wife. After 3 months of fuss free usage, the phone started losing network signal after one ring of incoming call or outgoing call and showed searching network after that.

I took it to the authorised service centre and they tried fixing it. They found it was a hardware defect and it was replaced within a week. No questions asked.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:17   #8743
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone SE comes with A9 processor and 2GB RAM as compared to iPhone 6 which has A8 and 1GB RAM. It is basically similar to the 6S from inside, only in a smaller form factor. Having said that, I agree that 39k is a bit too expensive.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:20   #8744
BHPian

Quote:
Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. Will check out these stores.
Unless there has been a recent price cut in the US, you can get better deals in India. If you don't mind buying online that is.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:36   #8745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Please be warned, the iPhone warranty is really good to have . I recently bought a 5s for my wife. After 3 months of fuss free usage, the phone started losing network signal after one ring of incoming call or outgoing call and showed searching network after that.

I took it to the authorised service centre and they tried fixing it. They found it was a hardware defect and it was replaced within a week. No questions asked.
I agree, Apple warranty is exceptional. Mine was also replaced once after 2 weeks for an antenna issue & then again last week, after a full 15 months (as I had taken extended warranty), for a display issue. So I have a brand new iPhone 6+ again as of last week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks