Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2016, 15:39   #9016
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

http://www.bgr.in/news/planning-to-b...-watching-you/

Is the above news still true. It is a bit old but if the price difference is significant, it still makes sense to buy from the US if you don't have to pay duty.

Also regarding the 4G, it looks like the US version will not be able to be used for 4G in India but I'm willing to live without 4G till my next upgrade. In any case I use wifi for browsing 90% of the time.

https://www.quora.com/Will-an-unlock...ttery-draining
Old 28th June 2016, 16:43   #9017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
http://www.bgr.in/news/planning-to-b...-watching-you/

Is the above news still true. It is a bit old but if the price difference is significant, it still makes sense to buy from the US if you don't have to pay duty.

Also regarding the 4G, it looks like the US version will not be able to be used for 4G in India but I'm willing to live without 4G till my next upgrade. In any case I use wifi for browsing 90% of the time.

https://www.quora.com/Will-an-unlock...ttery-draining
This article is very old!

I have been using an iPhone 6 bought in the US for almost a year now. Yes, I did have a challenge with 4G; the Airtel 4G in Mah doesn't support the band on a US-spec iPhone 6; but it does in Karnataka.

The Airtel guy did say that hardware upgrade might take some time for them to support all bands.
Old 28th June 2016, 19:55   #9018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This article is very old!
That's why I asked.

Quote:
I have been using an iPhone 6 bought in the US for almost a year now. Yes, I did have a challenge with 4G; the Airtel 4G in Mah doesn't support the band on a US-spec iPhone 6; but it does in Karnataka.
I live in Goa (Maharashtra Circle) but I don't use nor intend using the services of Airtel or Reliance ever (had bad experiences with both). I currently use BSNL and Vodafone.

Quote:
The Airtel guy did say that hardware upgrade might take some time for them to support all bands.
So what you mean is the company needs to upgrade their hardware and not the user. I was under the impression that the Network Operators had the latest hardware (since 4G is new in India) and we had to wait till Apple came up with updated phones.
Old 29th June 2016, 20:58   #9019
Team-BHP Support

Anyone noticed how bloated every app has become?!

The Google app is now 104 Mb (used to be ~40); Facebook and LinkedIn have consistently been 100+ and other utility are now slowly crossing over 50.

Makes me wonder how long 16 Gb phones can keep up without the user having the skip apps/updates.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:15   #9020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Anyone noticed how bloated every app has become?!

The Google app is now 104 Mb (used to be ~40); Facebook and LinkedIn have consistently been 100+ and other utility are now slowly crossing over 50.

Makes me wonder how long 16 Gb phones can keep up without the user having the skip apps/updates.
Seriously, Facebook messenger app has an update every week now! Not to mention out of 16GB not all of it is usable, I am literally glad i went for the 128 GB version, Just couldn't manage 16gb at all.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:28   #9021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Seriously, Facebook messenger app has an update every week now! Not to mention out of 16GB not all of it is usable, I am literally glad i went for the 128 GB version, Just couldn't manage 16gb at all.

But the apps, when updated, would be freeing up the space occupied by the previous version right ? So even if the updates are frequent it should not be a cause of concern from the storage point of view barring the fact that the actual app size keeps on increasing.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:39   #9022
Senior - BHPian

If you check the actual size of apps, the main culprit is the data. The app has a constant size, but the data inside the apps occupies space too. IMO older updates are not kept on the phone.
Old 30th June 2016, 14:54   #9023
BHPian

I have two concerns with my iPhone 6s. It heats up occasionally and it's difficult to use. My hand sweats because of the heat. Is this a known issue? 2nd - I am using a MTT case but sometimes I really don't want to use the iPhone with the case. Without the case it's very light and like it, but afraid to use because of obvious fears that I might drop it. Any suggestions of light weight case or any other solution for this?
Old 30th June 2016, 15:30   #9024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I have two concerns with my iPhone 6s. It heats up occasionally and it's difficult to use. My hand sweats because of the heat. Is this a known issue? 2nd - I am using a MTT case but sometimes I really don't want to use the iPhone with the case. Without the case it's very light and like it, but afraid to use because of obvious fears that I might drop it. Any suggestions of light weight case or any other solution for this?

Get a front and back tempered glass for the phone. Or a skin for the back and front glass. It should do the job of basic protection. I use my phone without any rear protection. Phone is still in one piece 😁
Old 30th June 2016, 15:52   #9025
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Get a front and back tempered glass for the phone. Or a skin for the back and front glass. It should do the job of basic protection. I use my phone without any rear protection. Phone is still in one piece 😁

Tempered glasses can never replace a phone case. It only saves the phone from scratches. I am strictly speaking about the back portion.

One can use the original leather cover by Apple. It's very expensive though but after a year's usage I feel it's good value for money. It actually protects the phone, feels good in hand and is very light. But it loses color and may not look great after a few months usage. But it's a great cover and I would buy it again for my future phones.

One issue I am facing for sometime is the battery. I have to use the phone hotspot a lot since I travel. And that reduces the phone battery to half a days usage.

P.S another thing I noticed. IPhone 6s plus 16 GB is just 49k in FK. That's unbelievably cheap. But then again 16GB is not enough so dint give it a thought

Last edited by Pancham : 30th June 2016 at 15:55.
Old 30th June 2016, 16:08   #9026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
P.S another thing I noticed. IPhone 6s plus 16 GB is just 49k in FK. That's unbelievably cheap. But then again 16GB is not enough so dint give it a thought
I just did a quick comparo of the prices from my smart price and the US. I also listed the Flipkart prices.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-iphone.jpg  

Old 30th June 2016, 17:06   #9027
BHPian

@kkkkkaran - Thanks for your reply! Any suggestions for the back tempered glass? I have the front one. I bought it when i purchased my iphone from the store. Too many choices in amazon and confused.

@Pancham - Agree, but with the case, sometimes it becomes bulky. However whenever i am in my home, i will use the case because of my kid
Old 30th June 2016, 17:15   #9028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
@kkkkkaran - Thanks for your reply! Any suggestions for the back tempered glass? I have the front one. I bought it when i purchased my iphone from the store. Too many choices in amazon and confused.

@Pancham - Agree, but with the case, sometimes it becomes bulky. However whenever i am in my home, i will use the case because of my kid

I like the slightly fancy ones available like the one attached
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1467287033.108810.jpg

Watch this video by mkbhd, a very popular international gadget reviewer :
Old 30th June 2016, 17:40   #9029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Watch this video by mkbhd, a very popular international gadget reviewer :
For me more than anything the annoying thing is screen protectors, pay 50 big ones to get a retina or oled screen and then cover it up with some 100 INR screen protector which removes whatever edge the screen has

On the other hand am a very clumsy user and my phone often bounces off here and there, and for that i trust only the best of bumpers. They save the screen and edges, while retaining the looks and feel to a great extend.
Old 30th June 2016, 17:51   #9030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For me more than anything the annoying thing is screen protectors, pay 50 big ones to get a retina or oled screen and then cover it up with some 100 INR screen protector which removes whatever edge the screen has

Sand can easily scratch these screens, even a spec in your pocket can ruin it. Ive had prior experience. I was never fond of screen guards. Ive got hooked on to premium tempered glasses like spigen since then.

Everyone does have personal preferences, was just sharing mine 😊

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks