Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 17:54   #9106
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Finally took the plunge - Having been on BlackBerry for over 6 years and then Android for 3 years, decided to go the IOS way. Bought the 5S and loving it :-)
Any reason why the 5S and not SE, apart from budget?
Old 29th July 2016, 19:03   #9107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any reason why the 5S and not SE, apart from budget?
Yes budget was one of the decision makers and in my opinion may not miss too much and no major showstoppers in adopting the 5s

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5685
Old 29th July 2016, 20:19   #9108
BHPian

I think 5s will be phased out soon and may not be even getting iOS 11 updates. But for budget restraints, you could've gone for SE as it's an entirely different phone altogether. Maybe like Frankmehta's 1.5L "crio". It has flagship specs in a compact body and being a latest iteration can support iOS updates for much longer time.
Old 29th July 2016, 22:13   #9109
BHPian

I think the SE still doesn't make sense, at least in India.

64G models of SE and 6S cost ~500 and ~750 USD respectively, when you convert them to rupees you'll notice 6S (converts to ~50k, costs ~57k in retail) in rupees being closer to its US price compared to the SE (converts to ~33k, costs ~47k in retail).
Old 30th July 2016, 09:40   #9110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
I think 5s will be phased out soon and may not be even getting iOS 11 updates. But for budget restraints, you could've gone for SE as it's an entirely different phone altogether.
To be honest further iOS updates are fairly useless for anyone having including and below the 6 since they will revolve around force touch.

Also, came across this

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1383...e-not-iphone-7
Old 30th July 2016, 10:05   #9111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
To be honest further iOS updates are fairly useless for anyone having including and below the 6 since they will revolve around force touch.
I think the OS updates are important for the apps. If you use apps extensively then once the OS updates stop, the apps are no longer updated for older OS. So you typically use the functionality of the app itself. If the app is data driven then you are back to depending on the browser. Just an example of needing to have OS updates.
Old 30th July 2016, 10:32   #9112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Gents,

Need some urgent help. My iPhone is draining battery like crazy. I'm on vacation and the phone drains fully in 7 hours overnight with no usage.
What is the model and how old?
There is a known battery issue in iphone 5 series and Apple is providing a battery replacement, please check in apple site if your phone qualifies or any such program available for your model.
Old 31st July 2016, 12:10   #9113
Senior - BHPian

I noticed a weird thing today. My iPhone 6 was on charge when I picked it up to check my messages. I could feel mild vibrations at the back of my phone. It was as if I could feel the current flowing at the back of the phone. Any idea what it was?
Old 31st July 2016, 12:33   #9114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I noticed a weird thing today. My iPhone 6 was on charge when I picked it up to check my messages. I could feel mild vibrations at the back of my phone. It was as if I could feel the current flowing at the back of the phone. Any idea what it was?
Lack of grounding; happens with my iPhone and Mac too. Both are from the US so they have different pins; I use pin converters.
Old 31st July 2016, 14:00   #9115
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Lack of grounding; happens with my iPhone and Mac too. Both are from the US so they have different pins; I use pin converters.

Can you elaborate a bit? Is there anything to worry about?

Last edited by Pancham : 31st July 2016 at 14:10.
Old 31st July 2016, 15:16   #9116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can you elaborate a bit? Is there anything to worry about?

Nothing to worry about. Its just flow of current. Havent noticed it much on the iphone, but i feel an insane amount of static while my mac is charging.
Old 1st August 2016, 02:07   #9117
BHPian

In a strange dilemma.

My prime workhorse - the Galaxy Note 3 died after 3 years of abuse and now I'm looking for a new phone. The plan is to buy the iPhone 7 as soon as it comes out in the US.

But i'm moving to the US within the week and don't wanna be stuck without a decent phone for what could be 1 or 2 months before the iPhone 7 comes out. Was planning to get a used iPhone 5s from India which would cost me around 16-17k. Would that be a good thing to do? Or should I buy something once I get to the US?

What are your suggestions?
Old 1st August 2016, 02:43   #9118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
In a strange dilemma.

My prime workhorse - the Galaxy Note 3 died after 3 years of abuse and now I'm looking for a new phone. The plan is to buy the iPhone 7 as soon as it comes out in the US.

But i'm moving to the US within the week and don't wanna be stuck without a decent phone for what could be 1 or 2 months before the iPhone 7 comes out. Was planning to get a used iPhone 5s from India which would cost me around 16-17k. Would that be a good thing to do? Or should I buy something once I get to the US?

Better buy a phone in US as you would definitely use 4g/LTE over there and most Indian phones don't have US bands on them.
Old 1st August 2016, 12:10   #9119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Better buy a phone in US as you would definitely use 4g/LTE over there and most Indian phones don't have US bands on them.
iPhone these days have chips that support all the frequencies, especially the ones sold in India. So no need to worry about this. Warranty on the other hand you should check, if it is applicable in different countries.
Old 1st August 2016, 12:17   #9120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Would that be a good thing to do? Or should I buy something once I get to the US?

If you want to buy the iPhone 7 (or 6SE), just get a stop gap phone until you land in the US. Electronics, including phones, are significantly cheaper there, and you have a bunch of options to finance them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks