Steer and Tanveer, see what I mean. ^^^^
Old 21st August 2008, 16:40   #917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Sigh.

Steer and Tanveer, see what I mean. ^^^^
ROFL.

See, I told you so, if 20 people think iphone is bad, and all of them have same grouses, all of them will post in this thread. So just carry on and let it be
Old 21st August 2008, 17:03   #918
BHPian

Well, at least they could get a bit more creative about it. This is no different from the spam emails one receives telling you that you will win $$ from Microsoft if you forward to 100 friends.
Old 21st August 2008, 17:09   #919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Well, at least they could get a bit more creative about it. This is no different from the spam emails one receives telling you that you will win $$ from Microsoft if you forward to 100 friends.
One is a spam email which lies. you do not get $100.
These emails doing rounds are telling the facts, however getting same emails again and again is actually spam, even if what is written is a fact.

So if a member wants to post something negative, we can only point out that this has been pointed before and discussion should move on.

Now carrying on the discussion, the price is out 36000 for 16GB.
From those who have booked, a question, does this include lockin also like the US, or this price is for off the shelf do as you please.
If there is operator lockin at this high price, I presume both Airtel and Vodafone in collusion with apple have decided to reap in big profits.
Normally when you have vendor lockin the phone price is subsidized. So asking full price after operator lock-in is a shady business practice

I heard there are some cases in EU about lockin and how it violates consumer rights. If EU forces apple to sell unlocked phones in EU, they will have to do so, albeit at a higher price of 300-400 euro etc.,
If that happens, expect people to buy phones from there and bring to India. It will give rise to a parallel grey market.
Old 21st August 2008, 17:13   #920
BHPian

Speaking of subsidy...
US call rates per min: 25 - 30 cents
Indian call rates: 2 - 5 cents

So I wouldnt expect a subsidy and carrier independece anytime soon. There is no margin in granting a subsidy in India. We have some of the worlds lowest call rates.

source: Airtel chairman in some newspaper, when asked if he would subsidize the iPhone.
Old 21st August 2008, 17:51   #921
BHPian

I have my 16 GB older version iphone with me bought in US and cracked next moment. It works really well. Speaker are not good though but battery live is amazing. Only major weakness on this phone I can see is for anything you have to either pay Apple some money or look for workaround, like ringtones, video converter etc. But as a phone it has no comparision believe me.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:20   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
From those who have booked, a question, does this include lockin also like the US, or this price is for off the shelf do as you please.
If there is operator lockin at this high price, I presume both Airtel and Vodafone in collusion with apple have decided to reap in big profits.
Normally when you have vendor lockin the phone price is subsidized. So asking full price after operator lock-in is a shady business practice
Confirmed - the phones are network locked. I just got a mail from Airtel and called up 121 to confirm.

That's robbery twice-over. EDIT: Thrice over, considering that you have to pay Apple for anything more including ringtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
But as a phone it has no comparision believe me.
That is correct - no other phone works (or doesnt work) in such a unique manner.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st August 2008 at 18:29.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:22   #923
Senior - BHPian

Its an interesting discussion over here ! So what is the conclusion ? Should I buy an i-phone tomorow (official launching in India 22nd Aug 2008) ? Or wait for the rushing crowd to settle down ? 31k for an 8 GB looks overpriced to me that too a carrier locked handset ! I was considering to upgrade my Nokia E62 which is my true companion since 1 year. Luckily I use a postpaid Airtel sim since 2 years and not planning to change it soon (helpful if I decide to buy an i-phone from airtel).
Old 21st August 2008, 21:34   #924
BHPian

@shajufx - hold on to your chips there, no point in wasting money, besides there is plenty of news of problems and reasons on not getting one. Lets wait for someone to buy one and then update this thread on cracked plastic and proprietary closed functionality hidden behind the amazing UI (unless you want to be the one who posts that info)
Old 21st August 2008, 21:52   #925
Senior - BHPian

Airtel and Vodafone claims to have 1000s of bookings with advance amount already paid for tomorow's launch ! So, I am sure there will be lot of bhpians across the country who want to try it first-hand and give a detailed report on the good and bad of it. I am not in a hurry to throw 31k just like that ! I dont take risks of being the 'first-idiot' or the 'first smart man' when it comes to gadgets ! Fingers crossed !
Old 21st August 2008, 23:06   #926
BHPian

The moment you have been waiting for is here. The new iPhone 3G premieres August 22, 2008. iPhone 3G will be available in 2 exciting options:

8 GB (Black) for Rs 31000
16GB (White & Black) for Rs 36100

To celebrate the launch of the iPhone 3G in India, we will be opening three of our Airtel stores, one each in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore at the stroke of midnight 12.00am (Friday Morning) on August 22nd.

Join us early on the red carpet as we camp out throughout the evening.
We are expecting some long queues, so plan your day and reach the location as soon as possible. Remember, our stock is limited and will be available only on first cum first basis.

So, gear up to witness the biggest launch event on August 22, 2008 and be a part of history at

Airtel Brand Shop
S-45, Ground Floor, Sahara Mall,
MG Road, SEC- 28, Gurgaon
Haryana

Ps: Can’t make it for the midnight launch!

In case you can't make it you can still get your iPhone on priority. Just visit one of the select Airtel stores & confirm your booking by paying Rs 5000 on August 20 or 21.You'll get an appointment to collect your iPhone after paying the balance amount. For list of the select Airtel stores log on to Airtel iPhone.
Old 21st August 2008, 23:15   #927
BANNED

Looks like the only guys losing sleep over iPhone in India are the Airtel guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
To celebrate the launch of the iPhone 3G in India, we will be opening three of our Airtel stores, one each in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore at the stroke of midnight 12.00am (Friday Morning) on August 22nd.
Old 21st August 2008, 23:18   #928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Looks like the only guys losing sleep over iPhone in India are the Airtel guys
Even vodafone has it's stores open from 12am to 3am.
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:56   #929
Team-BHP Support

I am an iPhone owner!!

Well guys i went and picked up my iPhone 16 GB Black from AirTel. Right now in the process of syncing and setting it up

Launch was the worst ever for the gizmo and gizmo freaks!! more on that tomorrow when i get some time.

Right now let me finish syncing and sleep.

cheers
Jaggu
Old 22nd August 2008, 02:08   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Well guys i went and picked up my iPhone 16 GB Black from AirTel. Right now in the process of syncing and setting it up
cheers
Jaggu
Congrats. I am in the process of 'unbricking' mine which has become quite useless after the 2.0.2 upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks