Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 19:56   #9931
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Or ought I to wait for 7S or 8 whichever is landing up in September of this year?
7 is really good, but we are almost half way thru March, and in less than 6 months the new one will come out. So wait for September
Old 15th March 2017, 23:51   #9932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth considering trading in both of these or selling them off on OLX or somewhere, and buying the iPhone 7 128 GB?

Or ought I to wait for 7S or 8 whichever is landing up in September of this year?
The 7s/8 or whatever it will be called will be priced higher, with the 10th anniversary edition expected to cross $1000. So, going in for this years models or not depends entirely on your budget and propensity to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
HMake sure, any cable you buy must be "Apple MFI Certified". 2 brands i can think of, are boat and amazonbasics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Ah, just today I've ordered a CELLBELL USB CABLE from Amazon. I went through 2 original cables in the last year which got torn just below the connector. I use a braided generic 3ft cable in car, but that's just for charging as it doesn't support data.

Incase of original cable, using tape at base of the lighting connector will enhance is life. Nothing like the original. Apple sells a 2m lighting cable also which I'm eyeing for usage in car.
Thanks for the tips kkkkkaran & blackwasp
Old 16th March 2017, 00:01   #9933
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, just today I've ordered a CELLBELL USB CABLE from Amazon. I went through 2 original cables in the last year which got torn just below the connector. I use a braided generic 3ft cable in car, but that's just for charging as it doesn't support data.

Incase of original cable, using tape at base of the lighting connector will enhance is life. Nothing like the original. Apple sells a 2m lighting cable also which I'm eyeing for usage in car.

You get cable protectors online, specifically meant for apple cables, since they do break at the bottom. Ive attached an image of the ones i have.
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1489602709.223808.jpg
Old 16th March 2017, 00:49   #9934
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, just today I've ordered a CELLBELL USB CABLE from Amazon. I went through 2 original cables in the last year which got torn just below the connector.
Rule no.1: Do not pull the wire from the phone while pulling the..er.. wire. Use the hard plastic ends of the cable only. The cables will never fail, break, or distort if you only pull while gripping the USB or lightning hard plastic ends.

Rule no. 2: Leave that cable at one place where you charge the phone regularly. As an extra travel or for car use, get the boAt indestructible. Best. Cable. Ever.
Old 16th March 2017, 06:38   #9935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boys and Girls.

Is it worth considering trading in both of these or selling them off on OLX or somewhere, and buying the iPhone 7 128 GB?
If you're keen on buting the 7, Look at Flipkart as they have some great exchange offers on the iPhone 7.
Old 16th March 2017, 18:03   #9936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Rule no.1:

Rule no. 2: Leave that cable at one place where you charge the phone regularly. As an extra travel or for car use, get the boAt indestructible. Best. Cable. Ever.
Thanks for the tips.

Friend got iPhone 7 ; and 7+ for his brother from Paytm. Just yesterday he ordered 128gb 7 plus jet black for 65222.
Old 16th March 2017, 23:17   #9937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth considering trading in both iPhones or selling them off on OLX or somewhere, and buying the iPhone 7 128 GB?

I'd say wait for the next gen iPhone for the same reason others have outlined; the next one will be here soon, and hat means any shiny new phone you pick up now will be a generation old in next to no time. Sit tight. The next iPhone is the one you want.
Old 17th March 2017, 00:58   #9938
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'd say wait for the next gen iPhone for the same reason others have outlined; the next one will be here soon, and hat means any shiny new phone you pick up now will be a generation old in next to no time. Sit tight. The next iPhone is the one you want.

But the problem is we don't know what else Apple's gonna remove from the phone. Look what they did to the MacBook Pro

I myself have been itching to upgrade to 7Plus, but something's stopping me! By the way, considering the 7Plus has the same processor, graphics processor and RAM as the 7 and is just powering a bigger screen, anybody feel any lag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post

I'd second that. I use the boAt braided cable in my car and the one that came with my 6S, at home.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th March 2017 at 01:02.
Old 17th March 2017, 05:52   #9939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
But the problem is we don't know what else Apple's gonna remove from the phone. Look what they did to the MacBook Pro
I actually dont mind the USB C ports for everything given they are so versatile and have high bandwidth. The only thing that I miss is the micro sd card reader and ever so slightly the mag safe.
Old 17th March 2017, 06:53   #9940
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I myself have been itching to upgrade to 7Plus, but something's stopping me! By the way, considering the 7Plus has the same processor, graphics processor and RAM as the 7 and is just powering a bigger screen, anybody feel any lag?
We have a 7 and 7+ at home; I have not noticed any lag as such, and the plus got a better camera with a brilliant Portrait mode. That said, I prefer the 7 because the plus almost feel like an iPad mini.
Old 17th March 2017, 06:56   #9941
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, considering the 7Plus has the same processor, graphics processor and RAM as the 7 and is just powering a bigger screen, anybody feel any lag?
I'm not sure about the graphics processor, but iPhone 7 has 2gb RAM and 7 plus has 3gb RAM and a bigger Battery. Camera is another obvious differentiater.
Old 17th March 2017, 08:27   #9942
BHPian

The only things different between the 7 and 7+ are the size, larger battery on the plus, 1GB more of RAM and the dual lens camera. CPU, GPU, etc are identical. I prefer the 7 due to its size and ease with which it can be used with one hand. The portrait mode on the 7 plus was something Samsung introduced with the Galaxy S5 albeit that used only software to blur out the background. Results were somewhat similar.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:05   #9943
Senior - BHPian

Oh! I didn't know it 7Plus had 1GB RAM more than the 7. Camera (with the 2x optical and 10x digital zoom and the DoF function) isn't enough to make me go for the 7Plus, I think. The thing is, I spend more time browsing, sending/receiving emails, playing games, social media, street photography etc. than actually talking on the phone and as I'm growing younger, smaller screen becomes a problem (one of the reasons why I had upgraded from my 5S to 6S). For example, the other day I was playing Hitman Sniper and for one of the long shots I couldn't see where the crosshair was positioned; had to go get my glasses

Another thing is the form factor. I usually stuff the phone in my jeans or my riding pants and the 6S sits there without hindering the movement of my leg (when riding). I didn't think the 7Plus will be that subtle.

Dang! It's so difficult to decide!
Old 17th March 2017, 10:32   #9944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! I didn't know it 7Plus had 1GB RAM more than the 7. Camera (with the 2x optical and 10x digital zoom and the DoF function) isn't enough to make me go for the 7Plus, I think.
The camera in the 7 Plus also has OIS.

To me, the camera was the deal breaker between the 7 and the 7 Plus.
Old 17th March 2017, 11:36   #9945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The camera in the 7 Plus also has OIS.

To me, the camera was the deal breaker between the 7 and the 7 Plus.
IIRC, iPhone 7 (not plus) also has OIS.

Best,
Enigmatic

Most Viewed