Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 08:55   #10366
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 583
Thanked: 741 Times
Default

Honestly I feel this time iPhone is not exciting or ground breaking. S8 or note 8 offers better value for money and Android has been offering the iPhone 8 and X's features for a long time now. If you have 6s and above , no need to upgrade to the latest ones. My two cents .
sairamboko is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 09:18   #10367
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,938
Thanked: 10,691 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Rather than the products, i love the way it was presented. Be it the Ads or the live demo. On the other note, Samsung Note 8 launch was dud since its just a S8+ with a stylus. They had a humongous screen which could have been utilized much better to market their flagship.
I'm afraid you are incorrect on both the counts (product and presentation).
Note8 launch had even the stage floor acting as a screen! it was like the presenters were standing inside a cube giving a nice 3D effect. On the contrary, the apple keynote was with a humongous screen. Note8 India launch was mediocre as expected. On the Contrary the Apple Key not used just a humongous screen

And regarding the product, Note 8 is not an S8+ with stylus. Note 8 has a dual lens camera (first for Samsung) and it is HDR10 compliant. As a matter of fact the previous Note series were S-series with a pen

Quote:
Back to Apple, i love the way iPX is built and the fluid iOS 11. Eye popping was the Face ID.
The Face ID didn't work once during the presentation and he had to take a backup phone to move on

Quote:
Can some one confirm if the fingerprint scan is removed from it? If yes, how does the Apps make use of authentication, face ID?
Yes Touch ID has been removed from the iphone X because the Home Button has been removed.
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 09:28   #10368
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm afraid you are incorrect on both the counts (product and presentation).
Be it the screen or product, somehow i felt it was made just for the sake of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
And regarding the product, Note 8 is not an S8+ with stylus. Note 8 has a dual lens camera (first for Samsung) and it is HDR10 compliant. As a matter of fact the previous Note series were S-series with a pen
Its all about upgrade. Will i switch to Note 8 from S7 Edge only for the dual lens. Strict no. Moreover, all reviewers final say is what i have mentioned in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Face ID didn't work once during the presentation and he had to take a backup phone to move on
I didnt notice this, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Yes Touch ID has been removed from the iphone X because the Home Button has been removed.
Will have to wait and watch on how Face ID fares.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 09:39   #10369
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,542
Thanked: 4,263 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I'm looking to upgrade from my Samsung S4 mini with a budget of 20k. I have stayed away from Apple so far because I have always felt they are overpriced.

Now I am discovering that I have very few options in the Android world when my main criteria becomes the size of the phone. I prefer the small form factor and I find the 5S and 5SE perfectly sized and within my budget.

I wanted a phone with at least 3GB RAM and good battery life but this is missing in the iPhones.

What I want to know is, why should I go for the iPhone? Would I be compromising?
samaspire is online now  
Old 13th September 2017, 09:46   #10370
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,938
Thanked: 10,691 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Be it the screen or product, somehow i felt it was made just for the sake of it.
I won't comment on what you feel.

Quote:
Its all about upgrade. Will i switch to Note 8 from S7 Edge only for the dual lens. Strict no. Moreover, all reviewers final say is what i have mentioned in my post.
Isn't it the same thing will someone upgrade from ip7 to ip7+ for just the dual camera? NO.
Even ip7 to ip8 or ip7+ to ip8+ has nothing compelling for an upgrade.
However Spen and Dual camera put together are good enough reasons for an upgrade from S7edge to Note8.
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 09:57   #10371
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 463
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I wanted a phone with at least 3GB RAM and good battery life but this is missing in the iPhones.
Don't bother about the RAM part in iPhone. The way iOS manages RAM differs from Androids. My wife's 1 GB RAM iPhone 6 is still faster than my backup Android with 4GB of RAM
bhp_maniac is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 10:12   #10372
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The Face ID didn't work once during the presentation and he had to take a backup phone to move on.
If you observe it closely it was asking for the Pin since the phone had been restarted. This is a consistent behaviour with current touch id where you need to enter pin if you restart your phone. It wasn't a FaceID failure per se.
pathik is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 11:28   #10373
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,291
Thanked: 8,144 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Later checked India relevant Info:
India gets only the non-cellular version of the 3 series watch.
iphone 8 is ₹64,000 for 64GB and ₹77,000 for the 256GB variant
iphone 8 plus is ₹73,000 for 64GB and ₹86,000 for the 256GB variant
iphoneX is ₹89,000 for 64GB and ₹1,02,000 for the 256GB variant
So, make-in-India hasn't really had that much of an impact on the prices. Assuming Apple planned/plans to manufacture more than just the SE in India.

A related article:

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/kX...demand-in.html

Quote:
Get ready with your organs people!
This joke has become so old
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 11:52   #10374
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,938
Thanked: 10,691 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
If you observe it closely it was asking for the Pin since the phone had been restarted. This is a consistent behaviour with current touch id where you need to enter pin if you restart your phone. It wasn't a FaceID failure per se.
No. He unlocks it once by looking at it and swiping up on the home bar. then he say "let's try that again" and locks it and tries unlocking. it doesn't work and asks for pin. He says "woah ho ho, let's take the backup" and unlocks it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
So, make-in-India hasn't really had that much of an impact on the prices. Assuming Apple planned/plans to manufacture more than just the SE in India.

A related article:

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/kX...demand-in.html
Yes, it has had no effect. I was expecting better pricing at least this time. But it wasn't to be.

Quote:
This joke has become so old
to be precise...10 years now! it's still fresh compared to many of the "Wife" jokes

64K for Note 8 itself is not a small amount for a phone. 25K over and above that for the iphoneX 64GB! I don't know if it's worth that amount of money, but I'm nobody to say that.

All said and done, ipX really looks nice with the all-screen design

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 13th September 2017 at 12:17.
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 11:53   #10375
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 717
Thanked: 227 Times
Default

I had bought a iPhone 5S I guess in year 2013 and sold it off within 12 hours .I never came back to Apple .For usgae professionally I still find BB10 OS amazing on my BB Passport SE and now truly enjoy Google pixel bought few months back .

With this I watched the Apple event yesterday night .I feel Apple speaks too much on self appreciation front . Comparison like Apple watch is over Rolex had me laughing .Streaming audio from a lake with no waves , Near zero wind ( as seen by the hair ) and calling it technology marvel is just pure nonsense .Again calling iPhone X as game changer for next 10 years is too much self appreciation or overconfidence as I feel .

My understanding is Apple survives by being marketing focused .The creation of image earlier anyone carrying iPhone is doing good had ceased and by giving iPhone X they Apple is trying to pull the crowd of look different (can pay) .

But unlike when iPhone was launched we are in different times so it will be difficult for Apple to speak like all else are lame and only they know things ( many of which competition is giving for years ).
Trust_In_Thrust is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 12:02   #10376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 113
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I had bought a iPhone 5S I guess in year 2013 and sold it off within 12 hours .I never came back to Apple .For usgae professionally I still find BB10 OS amazing on my BB Passport SE and now truly enjoy Google pixel bought few months back .

With this I watched the Apple event yesterday night .I feel Apple speaks too much on self appreciation front . Comparison like Apple watch is over Rolex had me laughing .Streaming audio from a lake with no waves , Near zero wind ( as seen by the hair ) and calling it technology marvel is just pure nonsense .Again calling iPhone X as game changer for next 10 years is too much self appreciation or overconfidence as I feel .

My understanding is Apple survives by being marketing focused .The creation of image earlier anyone carrying iPhone is doing good had ceased and by giving iPhone X they Apple is trying to pull the crowd of look different (can pay) .

But unlike when iPhone was launched we are in different times so it will be difficult for Apple to speak like all else are lame and only they know things ( many of which competition is giving for years ).
Thank you! This has to be said. If one removes all the fluff in their presentation, one will realize that they don't really do all that much. The OLED is finally good enough for the iPhone? Come on!
NiXTriX2004 is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 12:18   #10377
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: BLR, GGN
Posts: 410
Thanked: 818 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Now I am discovering that I have very few options in the Android world when my main criteria becomes the size of the phone. I prefer the small form factor and I find the 5S and 5SE perfectly sized and within my budget.
You can go for iPhone but I highly recommend stretching your budget by about 3000 and get iPhone SE for 23000. It has a much faster processor, more ram and more storage. All of them are vital stuff which will make you appreciate the phone more.

You can also consider waiting for the upcoming Big Billion Day to see if there are some good deals and credit card discounts.
autorahul is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 12:41   #10378
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 846 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Im not sure of the rest, but for the call logs. The older entries are not deleted, but just not visible. Only last 100 entries are visible. Delete the upper ones of you really have to see the entries at the bottom.
Not a very good solution, but a workaround.
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking for an app which will store logs longer,no luck so far!

Btw, a lot of media reports on the iPhone X being priced at 89k for the 64gb variant and 102000 for 256gb variant. Are these authentic ? I thought India launch is sometime in October
shashank.nk is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 12:46   #10379
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 176
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Btw, a lot of media reports on the iPhone X being priced at 89k for the 64gb variant and 102000 for 256gb variant. Are these authentic ? I thought India launch is sometime in October

Pricing has already been revealed by Apple. The 8 and 8+ will be available end of this month, and the X is coming in October.
kkkkkaran is offline  
Old 13th September 2017, 14:13   #10380
Senior - BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 1,542
Thanked: 4,263 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You can go for iPhone but I highly recommend stretching your budget by about 3000 and get iPhone SE for 23000. It has a much faster processor, more ram and more storage. All of them are vital stuff which will make you appreciate the phone more.
SE is in consideration. How is the battery life?
And most importantly - are iPhones sturdy. I keep dropping my phone (it has an armour cover). The phone will also be used as a car navigator - so is the screen bright enough and can it take sustained sunlight.
samaspire is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks