Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 12:55   #10396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Madras
Posts: 41
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

One stupid question. People are saying that during the apple event yesterday, the Face ID did not work at one of the demonstrations. I saw the video but did not come across any such thing. When the Face ID demonstration was about to happen, the apple executive encountered a passcode screen - but this does not mean the Face ID did not work right? Any idea what are people referring to?
Face ID worked as designed. Apple has explained what happened during the demo. Looks like many people handled the demo phone and Face ID was trying to authenticate all of these persons. Since it wasn't Craig, Face ID obviously couldn't authenticate them. And just like Touch ID, after multiple authentication failures it displays the password screen. Official statement is below.

"People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time,” says a rep, “and didn’t realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face. After failing a number of times, because they weren’t Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode.” In other words, “Face ID worked as it was designed to.”

source: 9to5mac.com
emkay.india is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 12:57   #10397
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My biggest disappointment is the pricing in India, at 89000 INR for the base model, it simply is OVERPRICED for what it offers. Yes it is great to have wireless charging and a super processor, the screen size increase while maintaining the form is something i was looking forward to. Home button though i am very used to it now, should not be a big show stopper for me, looking at the advantage of larger screen area. But 89k price is outrageous. iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 and then to iPhone 10 no way justified beyond 60-62k.

For the first time after 8-9 years of iPhone purchases, i am no more tempted. Reality strikes me hard and i would rather upgrade the 2011 Macbook i have.

Sorry apple no matter what you say to this fan boy, i can't justify or accept your pricing in India. Care or not!
Sir, I am sure this is for the early bird crowd and is Apple's idea of cashing in when the item is hot in the market. Historically, it has been seen that the prices come down gradually within 3-4 months of launch, especially the online pricing. The pricing should be around 65-70K by March 2018, depending on the demand in the INdian market.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th September 2017 at 12:59.
Pancham is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 13:01   #10398
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,228
Thanked: 11,569 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Sir, I am sure this is for the early bird crowd and is Apple's idea of cashing in when the item is hot in the market.
Well you might be right, but usually the early adopters who stand in Q are the ardent fans like me. I have done this many times... but by doing this gimmick of high introductory price, they just lost a fan boy
Jaggu is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 13:03   #10399
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 563 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Well you might be right, but usually the early adopters who stand in Q are the ardent fans like me. I have done this many times... but by doing this gimmick of high introductory price, they just lost a fan boy
That is the sad part about the Indian market. However, I am not sure if they would be assembled in India in the near future which could bring the price down (Maybe!).
Pancham is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 13:23   #10400
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 590
Thanked: 4,219 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

₹ 90,000 for a phone that will be gone in 3 years! What do you guys do with such a phone, other than bragging rights! I can understand someone earning more than ₹ 2,00,000 a month buying such a phone, but less than that you are just a show off because it doesn't make any financial sense.

While I do like the Apple ecosystem and is in love with my wife's new iPad pro, the Indian price is ridiculous to say the least. There is nothing to beat Apple in laptop and tablet space, but not the case with smartphones. I'm using an Android phone ( Nexus 5 ) that's about to start the 5th year and I don't find anything great the latest phones do that makes me think I should upgrade. The whole industry is just fleecing customers by giving small increments each year and by not giving updates. Apple is better at giving updates though, but that is not reason enough to rob Indians.
The Rationalist is online now  
Old 14th September 2017, 14:39   #10401
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 413
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

People have been quoting the Rs90k price tag everywhere without realizing that the Iphone X is kind of a special edition phone with features which might be implemented in later versions of the normal Iphone. If you just consider the Iphone 8, there are incremental improvements over Iphone 7.

I do not think it makes sense for a Iphone 7/6S user to upgrade to Iphone 8. In case your need is not urgent, I would advice to wait for a couple of months. If I remember correctly, IPhone 7 was available with a Rs10k cash back (on citibank credit card) right from day 1. I guess we may have similar offers this time around which might reduce the prices (of 8/8 plus) to cheaper levels.

I think the Iphone X is just a teaser of the design language of future Iphones.
Saanil is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 17:47   #10402
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 195
Thanked: 357 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So CPU/GPU is better you agree and on top of that iOS doesnt burden it. I would say win win.

Also very curious to know what your definition of "simpler" is? Is it simpler because it does not let you send a file over bluetooth or let you access the file system? I would assume that such a restricted system would have more checks and balances

Speaking of resolution, the so called Galaxy phones with ultra high resolution screens comes with lower resolution setting by default. That tells you how much is it for user experience and how much is it for spec sheet wars.
For you it may not be important but for me file manager and sharing file over bluetooth file is important . File manager and bluetooth has been present since symbian days and restricting bluetooth sharing or absence of file manager in name of security is laughable. iphone have been jail broken since their introduction as many individuals wanted basic stuff like File manager.

Yes operating system is simpler no wonder it requires itunes to transfer files. And oh yes you require ringtone maker to make ringtones. You can't select ringtone from your music library.

If there is no requirement of higher resolution then why does iphone X require Super Retina? Isn't it gimmick itself?

Bottom line is there is no point in being a fanboy of these MNC company unless they pay you to do so. One should judge products by their merits and there is no need to be offended if some doesnt like their products or criticise them.




Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The iPhone X is insanely priced, but I am sure it will create huge queues in front of the stores on the day it’s launched
Without a poster boy like Steve Jobs Apple would have faded into history. Try selling a iphone without APPLE name or steve Jobs.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 14th September 2017 at 17:50.
FrozeninTime is online now  
Old 14th September 2017, 18:11   #10403
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 456
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post


Without a poster boy like Steve Jobs Apple would have faded into history. Try selling a iphone without APPLE name or steve Jobs.
Steve Jobs is history. It is Tim Cook all the way now. The iPhone sells because of the OS and ofcourse the attractive hardware. For the sho-sha people, it is a different perspective altogether.
Power users like you need a file manager, free ringtones and BT transfer facility and "non-power" users like me, need a non fussy and non complicated OS, where iOS comes into picture.
So it's always going to be different strokes for different folks.

And one can purchase ringtones on the itunes store, if that is any solace.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 18:24   #10404
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,721
Thanked: 7,177 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Without a poster boy like Steve Jobs Apple would have faded into history. Try selling a iphone without APPLE name or steve Jobs.
It doesn't matter if there was a poster boy or someone is the jail. A good product with right marketing will sell

My current personal phone is a LG V20, and in a few months when it comes to my contract renewal it probably will be the V30. Thats not because of I am a fanboy of LG; I find incredible value for what it offers in the stock form.

And I don't buy your theory of Apple being faded into history. I use iPhone 7 as my office phone, have iPads and Macbook at home, and I find the whole Apple ecosystem extremely convenient and user-friendly.
vb-san is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 18:31   #10405
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 14,018
Thanked: 44,075 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My biggest disappointment is the pricing in India, at 89000 INR for the base model, it simply is OVERPRICED for what it offers.
Absolutely!

I purchased an iMac 27inch with 5k Retina Display, 8GB RAM and 1TB fusion drive for 137k last month.

Can't even imagine buying iPhone X 256GB at 102k! Way too much money whichever way you look at it!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 19:10   #10406
BHPian
 
theMandarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Vormir
Posts: 86
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

TL; DR – Products are designed based on both, technological limitations as well as business goals.
Don’t fight. Choose the phone that you like.

This is easier said than done but I think we should evaluate the product based on its merits/demerits and how relevant it is to you.
Relevance is the key here.

I use an iPhone 7 because I felt it was a better product compared to the phones launched last year. I was considering getting the iPhone X at a price of say 70K but 90K is a mental block for me. Agreed it might have a cashback offer from day one taking it to 80K but it is still a bit too much for what it offers based on the competition.

The processing power in the phone is leagues ahead of anything Qualcomm or Samsung are able to extract out of their silicon but then that is not the only deciding factor.

Someone mentioned the difficulty in setting a custom ringtone. It is difficult for a reason. Try purchasing a ringtone from iTunes. It is as simple as it is difficult to set a custom tone that you already own. That way they are disincentivizing using what you have and push you to buy more with the extremely easy to use process. That process is easy because they have intentionally made the alternative extremely difficult.

Another example would be the bokeh effect on the 7 plus. It was advertised that it is possible only because of the second camera. This year they are able to achieve it using the front facing camera as well. This makes me believe it is a purely software based implementation and the only reason they did not enable it on the 7 was so that plus can have an USP. Before anyone argues that the additional sensors on the IPhone X front make it possible, I think we can only speculate on that as we don’t have the technical expertise.

The iPhone X uses a super retina display. Let me make an educated guess here. The display is sourced from Samsung who use a similar display in their galaxy phones. Samsung might have dictated the target resolution based on their manufacturing capabilities or to maintain parity with their offerings. Now apple has no other choice for a vendor and they need to advertise it as an improvement which it is but not by design and beyond their control. Now if you and I say that they did it for this or that reason and try to justify why now was the perfect time for them to do this and how visionary Apple is then we are merely speculating and drifting from the reality

I take more than 15 calls a day and my caller history does not go beyond 4 -5 days. Is this an elegant solution or easy to use?

My point is that apple or Samsung or Sony design products and their capabilities are defined both by technical limitations and business decisions.

We should not try to justify why we are right and the other person is wrong. Maybe someone at apple may read your justification and laugh at how you are defending something which was done for an altogether different reason.
theMandarin is offline  
Old 14th September 2017, 20:20   #10407
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,364
Thanked: 10,791 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

iProducts Vs. Everything else is a never-ending debate.

Not an iPhone user myself, but recently purchased a Macbook so have a fair idea of what the Apple ecosystem offers.

It's not a top of the line product specs-wise, but I was never looking for one. It met my needs as they were and for the price quoted, met my needs better than everything else on offer in that price range.

Am I happy with the purchase? Yes.
Does it have its pros/cons compared to what I'm used to? Yes.
Will I buy other iProducts? Yes, if they meet my needs at a price I'm willing to pay.

Who am I to tell someone a six-figure sum for a phone is an absurd price to pay just because it seems absurd to me? VFM is not absolute, and it varies by person.
Chetan_Rao is online now  
Old 14th September 2017, 20:26   #10408
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 814
Thanked: 937 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
People have been quoting the Rs90k price tag everywhere without realizing that the Iphone X is kind of a special edition phone with features which might be implemented in later versions of the normal Iphone. If you just consider the Iphone 8, there are incremental improvements over Iphone 7.

I do not think it makes sense for a Iphone 7/6S user to upgrade to Iphone 8. In case your need is not urgent, I would advice to wait for a couple of months. If I remember correctly, IPhone 7 was available with a Rs10k cash back (on citibank credit card) right from day 1. I guess we may have similar offers this time around which might reduce the prices (of 8/8 plus) to cheaper levels.

I think the Iphone X is just a teaser of the design language of future Iphones.
I agree with you. I would expect next year models to all have Bezel less designs and most of, if not all the features of iPhoneX filtering down to the regular (Non Special edition) phones.

I just wish my current iPhone 6 last long enough to wait till that time.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline  
Old 15th September 2017, 00:18   #10409
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 195
Thanked: 357 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh;427007
Power users like you need a file manager, free ringtones and BT transfer facility and "non-power" users like me:), need a non fussy and non complicated OS, where iOS comes into picture.
So it's always going to be different strokes for different folks.
And one can [B
purchase[/b] ringtones on the itunes store, if that is any solace.
Sorry mate that was rude and sarcastic.
FrozeninTime is online now  
Old 15th September 2017, 04:19   #10410
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,897
Thanked: 2,585 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
For you it may not be important but for me file manager and sharing file over bluetooth file is important . File manager and bluetooth has been present since symbian days and restricting bluetooth sharing or absence of file manager in name of security is laughable. iphone have been jail broken since their introduction as many individuals wanted basic stuff like File manager.
Your point was that iOS is simpler and hence performs better not what do you consider as power user features. I cannot believe that in 2017, in the age of icloud and google photos, sending files over bluetooth is that important and same for file system because iOS 11 does give you the ability now to download and share files via the files app. If you want full file system access you can jailbreak and you have to do the same in Android if you want superuser access to the file system. Even otherwise share files between Apple devices is dead easy using Airdrop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Yes operating system is simpler no wonder it requires itunes to transfer files. And oh yes you require ringtone maker to make ringtones. You can't select ringtone from your music library.
Have you used an iOS device ever? While iTunes is not the best solution I agree, it makes everything dead simple. Restoring your device or restoring from a back up is as simple as connecting to iTunes and selecting restore. How do you do that in Android?

The so called simple OS has hardware enabled encryption since iPhone 3GS days something which Android didnt had an answer to as recent as a couple of years back and that too with a sizeable performance impact.

Do you know that Android does all the image recognition for images that exist on your phone on the cloud while the iPhone does this all on the device?

The less said about the status of updates the better. How many Android devices are on the latest Android version? Search that on google and then compare the numbers with the iPhone. You can't even argue the value card because Android phones are almost as expensive and more so in some cases.

I can go on but if your only metric of a good os is to be able to set a ringtone and send a file over bluetooth then who am I to argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
If there is no requirement of higher resolution then why does iphone X require Super Retina? Isn't it gimmick itself?
Instead of quoting the marketing name I wish you had quoted the actual numbers and you would have found out that the resolution isnt much more than the 1080p currently on the biggers versions of the iPhone. The higher resolution is also a resultant of OLED technology because even the best OLED implementation use the pentile matrix which has 4 individual sub pixel compared to RGB which has 3 sub pixels for any pixel which means that to have the same sharpness as that of an LCD, the OLED screen requires more pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Bottom line is there is no point in being a fanboy of these MNC company unless they pay you to do so. One should judge products by their merits and there is no need to be offended if some doesnt like their products or criticise them.
Exactly and I am jugding the phone purely on its merit than some random "feature" that I dont ever use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Without a poster boy like Steve Jobs Apple would have faded into history. Try selling a iphone without APPLE name or steve Jobs.
lol... try selling a Mercedes as a Maruti. Whats your point?
extreme_torque is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks