Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2018, 00:19   #10981
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I got in touch with iService and they were ready to replace the screen for approx 12k, I'll be calling other authrised apple service centres tomorrow
My experience as an iPhone user since last 8 years now in Bangalore. Go with apple authorised service centre only if u get free replacement under warranty. In your case it is physical damage. Obviously this will not be covered under warranty. When third party is quoting less than half the price go for it. They do a decent job and at the same time either way its a risk. At the most you will get 90 days free replacement warranty for the part replaced from Apple Authorised centre in case you opt for it!
Old 18th February 2018, 00:45   #10982
BHPian

Quote:
However, I wanted to know if there's any harm in going with iService, it costs significantly lower and they say its close to original. Phone is only 4 months old so if need be can get a genuine replacement done since she plans on keeping it for another 3 years atleast, but just wanted to know if third party options have cons other than a slightly inferior display.
I was in the same spot when I dropped my iPhone 6 on the road & cracked the entire screen to bits.
I too found the screen replacement cost from the Apple A.S.C very high, so I went ahead and got the screen replaced by a third party.
Trust me when I say this, but my phone wasn’t the same anymore. The new display was laggy, unresponsive & leaked a lot of light.
I had a tonne of issues with the screen, right from the day it was replaced, to the day I sold off my phone, so I’d highly advise you against going with a third party to replace such a vital part of the phone, especially when your sister plans to retain it for quite a while.
Also, since it’s an iPhone 7 Plus, using an aftermarket screen might result in Touch ID failure.

Last edited by AShubrah : 18th February 2018 at 00:55.
Old 18th February 2018, 07:40   #10983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

USD 149 is cheaper than INR 14000. You should have sailed to US and got it done there.
haha yeah I wish I could control where the ship sailed to. Im just an employee saar (Chief engineer ). Jokes aside , I got a call from the folks at maple and they have said the phone would arrive from Bangalore to Bombay around Tuesday/ Wednesday. After using the alternate android phone (note 5) since 6 months , can't wait to get back to the iPhone and iOS!
Old 18th February 2018, 11:22   #10984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I wanted to know if there's any harm in going with iService, it costs significantly lower and they say its close to original. Phone is only 4 months old so if need be can get a genuine replacement done since she plans on keeping it for another 3 years atleast, but just wanted to know if third party options have cons other than a slightly inferior display.
The warranty should be for one year on all iPhones. Why would you want to jeopardize your warranty balance of 8 months or so by putting a substandard screen and also since she wants to use the instrument for another 3 years.
Old 18th February 2018, 18:39   #10985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
My experience as an iPhone user since last 8 years now in Bangalore. Go with apple authorised service centre only if u get free replacement under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I was in the same spot when I dropped my iPhone 6 on the road & cracked the entire screen to bits.
Also, since it’s an iPhone 7 Plus, using an aftermarket screen might result in Touch ID failure.

Thanks for the input guys, I called all the apple centres in bangalore but most were closed,however I spoke to a representative of Ample technologies and he quoted a ball-park figure of 18k only, if its 18k i'll certainly go with the genuine part. Tomorrow should be better since I'll be able to speak to the other authorised service centres too.

As of now, i'm inclined to go with the genuine replacement even though its ridiculously priced considering the phone is near brand new and she intends to use it for the next 3 years atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The warranty should be for one year on all iPhones. Why would you want to jeopardize your warranty balance of 8 months or so by putting a substandard screen and also since she wants to use the instrument for another 3 years.
I think Apple no longer voids warranty for third-party screen replacements. I remember reading about some internal memo regarding the same a while ago.
Old 18th February 2018, 18:53   #10986
BHPian

I also had a bad experience with the un authorised guys. The screen worked well, no complaints about that. But the colours and brightness was just not there. They usually use cheap displays which can be bought easily from any of the online China sites for half of what they quote
Old 18th February 2018, 20:05   #10987
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, any recommendations on a good battery case for my wife's iPhone 7? She is a heavy business user and runs out of battery by ~1700 daily. Hates powerbanks and wants a sleek integrated case.
Old 19th February 2018, 04:09   #10988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Gents, any recommendations on a good battery case for my wife's iPhone 7? She is a heavy business user and runs out of battery by ~1700 daily. Hates powerbanks and wants a sleek integrated case.

There are tons of cheap chinese ones you can find online. If you want something reliable, and dont mind shelling the price, then get the original Apple battery case, or the Mophie Juicepack
Old 19th February 2018, 11:58   #10989
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys need some help, my sister dropped her 7 plus and the display cracked due to the impact. It happened around 8 pm today so couldn't call many authorised service centres, howeever dropped into one near my home and he quoted a ball park figure of 25k to replace it.
Authorised Apple service will most probably replace the phone with a new one. I think that is an ideal solution.
iService in Mumbai, has messed up my wife's Macbook and it is dead weight now. So don't trust them blindly. Yes, they are much better than hole-in-the-wall repair shops.

Quote:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Base...ceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FLOV...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old 19th February 2018, 12:36   #10990
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, many thanks. The Baseus one looks good; only hitch is the long lead time. Anything else you can think of on an Indian e-com portal?
Old 19th February 2018, 12:41   #10991
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, many thanks. The Baseus one looks good; only hitch is the long lead time. Anything else you can think of on an Indian e-com portal?
If it is urgently required, the Apple case would be the best bet. Advantage being, it would charge with the lightning cable itself ( while others use the micro usb if I am not wrong).
Amazon & Flipkart seem to carry them.

Also check if Spigen has any chargeable cases, as that again is a renowned brand.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:44   #10992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have not used this but i have two friends who swear by Mophie, not sure how expensive it would be in India but if you can get from US nothing like it.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-7
Old 19th February 2018, 13:45   #10993
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Are Air Pods compatible with Iphone 7? I am planning to buy airpods for my wife's Iphone 7. Any idea on the cost?
Old 19th February 2018, 14:11   #10994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Are Air Pods compatible with Iphone 7? I am planning to buy airpods for my wife's Iphone 7. Any idea on the cost?
Yes they are compatible with 7. I bought one few months back from flipkart, it was available for 8999rs with additional 1000rs cashback with SBI card payment. MRP of the same is 15k.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 19th February 2018 at 14:13.
Old 19th February 2018, 15:13   #10995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Yes they are compatible with 7. I bought one few months back from flipkart, it was available for 8999rs with additional 1000rs cashback with SBI card payment. MRP of the same is 15k.
Thanks! How are you finding them? Do you use them a lot? Is the audio quality better compared to your normal Apple earphones?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks