Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 12:38   #11311
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
What's the difference between xs and xr? I think both of them have dual sim ability. Is it with respect to only the size and the display?
1. Size & Weight
2. Display (OLED vs LCD, Resolution, HDR and PPI)
3. Modem (Gigabit vs LTE Advanced (slower than Gigabit))
4. Camera (Dual vs Single lens)
5. Battery (XR has supposedly better battery life due to lower quality display i guess)
6. Frame (Steel vs Aluminium)
7. IP rating (68 vs 67)
8. 3D touch (Not available in XR)
Old 21st September 2018, 14:41   #11312
BHPian

We are in 2018 and 326 ppi on a phone costing $750 is a joke. Even poco f1 has 1080p LCD on 21000 rupee phone. But dont think individual pixels are differentiable unless you hold your phone very close to your eyes. I feel apple could have given more ppi with LCD display. Apart from the screen (ppi density) everything else will be awesome about iPhone XR.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:26   #11313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
We are in 2018 and 326 ppi on a phone costing $750 is a joke. Even poco f1 has 1080p LCD on 21000 rupee phone. But dont think individual pixels are differentiable unless you hold your phone very close to your eyes. I feel apple could have given more ppi with LCD display. Apart from the screen (ppi density) everything else will be awesome about iPhone XR.
Pixel density will matter if you use the phone with VR. I think in this age, full HD should be bare minimum.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 16:17   #11314
Senior - BHPian

The only reason Apple did not give a better screen on the Xr is because they knew they could get away with it and needed something to differentiate from their Xs series. Basically, they want you to spend more if one wants a proper screen. That screen in 2018 on a 750$ phone is just plain stupid.

Last edited by bigron : 21st September 2018 at 16:19.
Old 21st September 2018, 16:43   #11315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post

My friends and I had a good laugh at this when we realized my 4 year old galaxy s5 has a better screen than the Xr. (AMOLED with 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels at a PPI of 432 pixels per inch)
Old 21st September 2018, 16:43   #11316
Senior - BHPian

I've upgraded my iPhone X to iOS 12! That's the only upgrade Ill do this year, XS or XS Max (I feel) is not worth the extra money Apple's asking for. I feel Apple's run out of ideas this year, lets hope for something better next year!
Old 22nd September 2018, 00:25   #11317
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
1. Size & Weight

2. Display (OLED vs LCD, Resolution, HDR and PPI)

3. Modem (Gigabit vs LTE Advanced (slower than Gigabit))

4. Camera (Dual vs Single lens)

5. Battery (XR has supposedly better battery life due to lower quality display i guess)

6. Frame (Steel vs Aluminium)

7. IP rating (68 vs 67)

8. 3D touch (Not available in XR)

9. RAM: XR has 3 GB while the XS brothers have 4 GB.

10. Screen toughness : The XS brothers come with the toughened glass while the XR lacks it.

Also the XR will come in a variety of colors( blue, black, yellow, pink/orange) when compared to the XS.

You are correct about XR's battery life. According to Apple, the XR is going to have the best battery backup.

326 ppi might sound less on paper but I don't face any problem with my iPhone 7 's display.

Last edited by Waspune : 22nd September 2018 at 00:27.
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:34   #11318
BHPian

Unboxing and testing iPhone Xs and Xs Max

Unboxing and review of the new Gold Apple Watch Series 4

Last edited by Ithaca : 22nd September 2018 at 09:37.
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:13   #11319
BHPian

Hello!

I am facing a weird problem with my iphone 6s plus. Everytime i look for the software upgrade, it just keeps searching and does not show up. I have to connect it to the laptop and manually upgrade via itunes.

Someone suggested that this might be a problem with the apple id but i am using the same apple id on an older iphone 5s which shows software updates and updates normally through wifi.

The only thing i can think of is the restrictions passcode which is turned on and I have no clue what it is.

Is there a work around the restrictions passcode to turn it off as I have tried multiple times and am unable to figure our what the restrictions passcode is.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd September 2018, 15:53   #11320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hello!

I am facing a weird problem with my iphone 6s plus.

Try backing up on itunes, then wiping the device and setup as new and then restore backup and check next time when 12.0.1 update comes. Else, you may have to set up as new and try when 12.0.2 comes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've upgraded my iPhone X to iOS 12! That's the only upgrade Ill do this year, XS or XS Max (I feel) is not worth the extra money Apple's asking for.

Xs is the same price that X came out for last year. The only reason why some would upgrade is for the dual sim. As for me I was considering changing from 6S to Xs, but decided against it. Reason being, I will wait a few more years till 5G rolls out and then take a call. Till then, will suck the juices out of my 6S with a 'soon to come' new battery.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 22nd September 2018 at 15:57.
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:28   #11321
Team-BHP Support

Durability tests on the Xs - Passes most tests, but not very impressive for the money involved.

Interesting fact - The back glass, if cracked, will cost $599 to repair. Better get insurance, those who plan to buy one.

Old 22nd September 2018, 22:03   #11322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Xs is the same price that X came out for last year. The only reason why some would upgrade is for the dual sim. As for me I was considering changing from 6S to Xs, but decided against it. Reason being, I will wait a few more years till 5G rolls out and then take a call. Till then, will suck the juices out of my 6S with a 'soon to come' new battery.
Pricing in the U.S is the same while in India it starts at 10k more. I'll be personally sticking to my X till next year as I really cannot justify getting the XS this year.

Altho, the Apple Watch Series 4 is something I am considering, but for that, I'll have to upgrade to iOS 12 and dang I don't want to lose 11.3.1 and a jailbreak. Really hope Apple didn't have the restriction of new watches to only be compatible with the latest released iOS. :/
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:04   #11323
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what would you call as a disadvantage of an E sim? Does it work as seamlessly as a regular dual sim phone? Im contemplating to buy the Xr purely for the dual sim functionality, since I carry 2 iPhones right now and a single device would be great convenience.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:04   #11324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys, what would you call as a disadvantage of an E sim? Does it work as seamlessly as a regular dual sim phone? Im contemplating to buy the Xr purely for the dual sim functionality, since I carry 2 iPhones right now and a single device would be great convenience.
1) Only Airtel and Jio are supported
2) Reports say international roaming may not work easily

I think on-ground experience will only be available once it is enabled.
Old 24th September 2018, 14:27   #11325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Guys, what would you call as a disadvantage of an E sim?

Very few operators worldwide currently. Some may charge for an e-sim.

Jio & Airtel doing it free, but USA operators are going to charge USD 20/month.
Apart from being a space saver, there is nothing different in an e-sim v/s nano sim.

If I read correctly, all 3 new launches have esim + regular sim in them, not just Xr.

Most Viewed