Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 11:51   #11521
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Great! Were you asked to flash your phone/take a back up before you went in for the change?
A backup was recommended but not insisted upon. However, as a practice, whenever I hand over my phone for any service, I hard reset it to ensure there's no data misuse.
Old 20th November 2018, 13:01   #11522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Has anyone gone in for a voluntary battery change under Apple's current lower battery prices schemes?

They run a diagnostic to verify details. They will tell you that battery is fine.

Cook up some story that you need to recharge 4 times in a day stating heavy use and at times phone dies even at 20% and since you are paying for the change, it would be better to do it before the price hike post December. Be nice and smiley. Convince them that at 80% you would have to change the battery anyways and you are just 5% off the mark.

I didn't backup. Data and settings were intact.
Old 20th November 2018, 13:13   #11523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
They run a diagnostic to verify details. They will tell you that battery is fine.
That is what I am worried about. In a way to mint some more money, they might want to push me to next year. The battery at this moment has no issues - my phone still lasts me 1 full day (20% at the end of the day as compared to 35-40% when new) and I have to charge only once. Just that I want to save on the cost of the battery.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2018 at 07:18. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 20th November 2018, 18:26   #11524
BHPian

Will the iPhone XR bought from USA work in India. I think only A1984 is available in USA and the Europe/Indian model is A2105.
Will this A1984 be usable in India? Has anybody tried it?
Old 20th November 2018, 18:56   #11525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Will the iPhone XR bought from USA work in India. I think only A1984 is available in USA and the Europe/Indian model is A2105.

According to what i understand, only band 28 is missing from LTE, which is not used in India. LTE runs on band 3,5 and 40 in India. As long as those are therec shouldnt be a problem.
Old 20th November 2018, 19:14   #11526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have used iPhone 5S bought in the US, and it's been working perfectly fine for the past 1+ years. So should be the case for Xr or other models
Old 21st November 2018, 14:21   #11527
BHPian

Need some help regarding iPhone 6 wifi. After upgrading the iOS to 12.1, my iPhone 6's wifi stopped working. The on/off button of wifi is not operational anymore. What could be the reason for this and how to resolve this?
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:53   #11528
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Works alright. Have been using it for the last two weeks without any problem so far. Using a normal sim. Haven't used e-sim yet.
Old 22nd November 2018, 23:00   #11529
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

So its been nearly 3 weeks now since I got my Xr. This is my 6th iPhone now. Have always had 2 phones, clearly to differentiate between office and personal usage and also to avoid mixing up work during family time.

I had a 5 and 4s first, the. Sold both and got 6 and 6s, lost the 6s when it was 2 weeks old when i was travelling in China, and i ended up paying the EMI for the next 20 months! Anyway, for the last 2 years I have had a 6 and a 7. With phones getting bigger and denims trousers getting slimmer, there was no way I could keep carrying 2 phones all the time. So when apple launched the new phones this year, the only thing that caught my attention was the dual sim capability.

The Xs and Xs max in India are anyway priced ridiculously high, so I just waited for the Xr. They launched it the week before Diwali, I managed to sell my 7 for 20k to someone in my apartment community, and the 6 was given away for 8k at the Reliance digital store. So nearly 30k was taken care of.

Initial impressions— the Xr is a pretty big phone, especially if you move from a 7! And it gets bulkier if you put one a case. And this one is really slippery with the glass back, so much so that I was scared to use it for the first 2-3 days. I ordered a spigen case from Amazon, although I have always used Otterbox cases, I found them to be too expensive this time around.

For the first 3-4 days I struggled with the activation of the E-Sim, finally got it done, and the dual sim functionality works well. Some issues though, like whatsapp only in one number, etc. but largely manageable for me since im not a heavy whatsapp user.

The phone is very quick, camera is quite good as well, although the dual camera set up in my wifeys 8 plus takes better portrait shots. So if you are in to a lot of photography, then the Xr is not the best, 8 plus should be still better. But surprisingly regular photos in night and day light seemed better than 8 plus. Not sure.

You get used to the lack of the home button and I feel its actually so much easier this way. Apple has made it so easy to close apps or even drag the control centre from top.

Unlocking the phone is a slight hassle though, with the earlier fingerprint scanner based iPhones you can unlock while doing anything. But not here. the Face ID is good, but you need to sort of be in that zone for it to recognise you. So a lot more passcode typing then.

Would i recommend the Xr? Yes I would. Its a far better deal than than the Xs, almost 25k cheaper. And bigger as well. And the Xr is still cheaper than the X. So if you have a 7 or an older phone and want to upgrade then the Xr is a good choice. But if you have one of the plus phones, 7 plus or 8 plus, they are equally good too, especially the 8 plus which was the top performer in most performance tests until last year.

Last edited by motorworks : 22nd November 2018 at 23:04.
Old 23rd November 2018, 05:57   #11530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

Would i recommend the Xr? Yes I would. Its a far better deal than than the Xs, almost 25k cheaper. And bigger as well. And the Xr is still cheaper than the X. So if you have a 7 or an older phone and want to upgrade then the Xr is a good choice. But if you have one of the plus phones, 7 plus or 8 plus, they are equally good too, especially the 8 plus which was the top performer in most performance tests until last year.
Happy to hear on the positive experience - globally the news is abuzz on the "failure" of the Xr model with the news of Apple asking suppliers to tone down the production for the Xr; although all analysts were predicting it to be a major success prior to the launch.

But apart from the price difference, anything else that really shines through for this model?
Old 23rd November 2018, 08:41   #11531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Happy to hear on the positive experience - globally the news is abuzz on the "failure" of the Xr model with the news of Apple asking suppliers to tone down the production for the Xr; although all analysts were predicting it to be a major success prior to the launch.

But apart from the price difference, anything else that really shines through for this model?

There are only 3 major differences between the Xr and the Xs. Dual camera set up, 3D Touch and the display.

The Xr sort of makes up for the lack of dual camera setup by offering portrait mode thru some algorithm or something like that, not sure. 3D Touch is something that I had in my earlier iPhone 7 and I do not remember using it at all. So the most prominent and real time difference is the display of OLED in the Xs and LCD in the Xr.

In every other way the Xr is quite good, again I reiterate if you upgrade from 7 or 6, not from a X.

Like I said, the phone is super quick, the size feels just about right, cannot handle the Xs Max for sure. And the camera in normal modes seems better than the 8plus.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:13   #11532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The Xr sort of makes up for the lack of dual camera setup by offering portrait mode thru some algorithm or something like that, not sure. 3D Touch is something that I had in my earlier iPhone 7 and I do not remember using it at all.
Some reviews say that the single camera setup in XR works pretty well (better than XS in some instances). If I had to go back to an iPhone, most probably it will be the XR; Apple have priced it really well especially when compared to the XS or XS Max.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:10   #11533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Some reviews say that the single camera setup in XR works pretty well (better than XS in some instances). If I had to go back to an iPhone, most probably it will be the XR; Apple have priced it really well especially when compared to the XS or XS Max.
It will work better in portrait mode for sure because the iPhone Xs or X or Xs Max use the telephoto lens for portraits which has an inferior quality sensor compared to the main wide sensor. The Xr only has the wide sensor and uses that to generate portraits.
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:56   #11534
BHPian

Got the iPhone X a couple of weeks ago during the Great Indian Amazon festival sale. Sold my 3 yr old iphone 6s and coupled with the festive discounts ,made a superb value proposition.

The X is really fast with ios 12 and in some youtube comparision even outperforms the Xs. Go figure. Anyway, its a wonderful change and Face ID is so intuitive that I cant see myself going back to touch id.
Old 23rd November 2018, 20:33   #11535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Anyway, its a wonderful change and Face ID is so intuitive that I cant see myself going back to touch id.
I like FaceID on my XS too. The only problems I have faced so far are when it won't recognize when it's on a desk to quickly glance the notifications and when I have my helmet on. Of course not when riding, but when stopped in the side of the road to quickly check direction or something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks