Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 14:44   #11551
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,226
Thanked: 9,623 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I am planning to change my current 6S to a newer iPhone. I am considering to get one through a friend from USA since the prices there are significantly cheaper than here. Hence, my only concern was the compatibility with Airtel network here since I am not sure of the bands used by Airtel for their LTE service. I see that the Apple website has three separate versions of the iPhone 8+ listed for different networks. Can someone who has got a USA handset throw more light on what is suitable and what is not?
audioholic is online now  
Old 4th December 2018, 14:55   #11552
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 363
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I see that the Apple website has three separate versions of the iPhone 8+ listed for different networks. Can someone who has got a USA handset throw more light on what is suitable and what is not?
Model A1864. That should be the unlocked version.

Check this page. it lists all the compatible networks.
joethomasv is offline  
Old 4th December 2018, 14:57   #11553
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 458
Thanked: 460 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
I didn't buy it from noon. Sorry for not being clear. Mine's the US version, A1920.

So the phones with Facetime, sold in UAE, are USA versions? Everywhere?


Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence, my only concern was the compatibility with Airtel network here since I am not sure of the bands used by Airtel for their LTE service.

Bands 3,5,40 will cover Airtel, Vodafone and Jio, all over India. 8 plus GSM model is the same for USA and India. It is only with the XS, XR,XS Max, that USA has different version than RoW. Even then, USA XS will work on all 3 major operators 4G Bands.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 4th December 2018, 17:38   #11554
BHPian
 
vvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 219
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys - quick one. Is the battery replacement program available for 7 as well??

Cheers,
Vijay
vvijay is offline  
Old 4th December 2018, 17:55   #11555
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,288
Thanked: 11,791 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Guys - quick one. Is the battery replacement program available for 7 as well??

Cheers,
Vijay
Yes and hurry up, after Dec 31st the terms are going to change. Right now you can get it for 2k INR.
Jaggu is offline  
Old 4th December 2018, 18:02   #11556
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 4,226
Thanked: 9,623 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
It is only with the XS, XR,XS Max, that USA has different version than RoW. Even then, USA XS will work on all 3 major operators 4G Bands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Model A1864. That should be the unlocked version.

Check this page. it lists all the compatible networks.

Thanks to both of you for the prompt responses. I see that the A1864 is the factory unlocked version and that is compatible with airtel bands as well as Jio. The phone should reach my hands by this weekend or next.
audioholic is online now  
Old 4th December 2018, 19:25   #11557
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,943
Thanked: 10,856 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

I hate iphones(wrong place I know) but my office IT will stop supporting Androids from next year because they say only few users are having androids (which is because only Samsung S7, S8, S9, Note8 and Note9 are allowed). Whatever, my sister had an old iphone 6s lying as a backup device which I have taken. Right now I've not put any sim and it's always tethered to the wifi of my main phone. I guess that's the reason both phones' batteries are draining faster. Planning to put a prepaid sim to the ip6s. I also saw that the effective battery performance is 83%. Can I and should I get the battery changed? Is it 2k only and worth it?
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 4th December 2018, 19:30   #11558
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,319
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Can I and should I get the battery changed? Is it 2k only and worth it?
Yes. iPhone 6 onwards are eligible for the program. 83% = strong likelihood of getting a new battery at 2k.

And yes, it is worth it because with a new battery, it is essentially a new phone.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 5th December 2018, 09:42   #11559
BHPian
 
vinitbhavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai MH 02
Posts: 380
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello friends whereas i'm currently using the iphone 8plus, have an older 5S which still gets used at times. The only issue is the battery life. After reading above regards the battery replacement, wanted to know if the 5S is also eligible under the scheme for the battery replacement at 2K. Is there a link to any page where the applicable phones can be checked.
Thanks!
vinitbhavi is offline  
Old 5th December 2018, 09:46   #11560
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,319
Thanked: 8,306 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
wanted to know if the 5S is also eligible under the scheme for the battery replacement at 2K.
Nope; it's not eligible.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 5th December 2018, 12:13   #11561
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 458
Thanked: 460 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Is there a link to any page where the applicable phones can be checked.
Thanks!

https://support.apple.com/en-in/ipho...acement-credit
See bottom Additional info. iPhone 6 and above are eligible.
The battery cost for a 5s won't be very high either.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 5th December 2018, 15:45   #11562
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hello friends whereas i'm currently using the iphone 8plus, have an older 5S which still gets used at times. The only issue is the battery life. After reading above regards the battery replacement, wanted to know if the 5S is also eligible under the scheme for the battery replacement at 2K. Is there a link to any page where the applicable phones can be checked.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
https://support.apple.com/en-in/ipho...acement-credit
See bottom Additional info. iPhone 6 and above are eligible.
The battery cost for a 5s won't be very high either.
I got mine replaced at Nehru Place a month back - it cost me 1200/-.
akp is offline  
Old 6th December 2018, 04:20   #11563
BHPian
 
fast_elegance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 380
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Any recommendations for the iphone case? I am having a regular slim silicone case and am looking to get something with better protection for my iPhone 7 and xs max. I found a lot of cheap but interesting cases in Aliexpress. Not sure if I should buy something on it or buy from desi sites.
fast_elegance is offline  
Old 6th December 2018, 06:04   #11564
BHPian
 
Ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MH 43 // MH 46
Posts: 315
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Any recommendations for the iphone case? I am having a regular slim silicone case and am looking to get something with better protection for my iPhone 7 and xs max. I found a lot of cheap but interesting cases in Aliexpress. Not sure if I should buy something on it or buy from desi sites.
I have used Spigen cases for all my iPhones. They are reasonably priced and available on Amazon India. They are good and do the job perfectly.
I avoid buying Apple cases because they are unnecessarily expensive.

Nowadays you can also get bumper cases for your phone. This however makes the phone a bit bulkier.

Refer my earlier post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Have been using this case for my iPhone X

Last edited by Ithaca : 6th December 2018 at 06:07.
Ithaca is online now  
Old 6th December 2018, 06:17   #11565
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 2,228
Thanked: 4,039 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Any recommendations for the iphone case? .
Spigen and Supcase are household names wrt cases for the iPhones; you'll find multiple skin modes - thin, thick, with bumper support, transparent, gel based, etc. OtterBox is another brand name that is generally recommended if you have a history of frequent drops. I have survived numerous drops of my iPhone courtesy Spigen cases.

AmazonBasics models are generally a jack-of-all-trades that perform pretty decently; however for models like XsMax; I'd probably not recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I have used Spigen cases for all my iPhones.
+1
ninjatalli is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks