Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 14:30   #11731
BHPian
 
sagpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 257
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

Question : I know the original screen costs quite a lot. I wanted to ask if Anyone ever tried the ' screen pro ' service where the promise is to repair / replace the screen at our doorstep. The cost is around 3900/- should I go in for this or are there any alternatives that I should try ? I live at Bangalore.
Is your phone under warranty/extended warranty?
See, if you go for repair outside apple store and if they dont install genuine apple part then it may be a problem in future if you decide to go for repair at apple authorised repair centre (for e.g. for battery replacement program if they come up with one). They will simply not take your phone in for repair citing you have installed third party party and their system is not showing that particular part from apple and hence can not repair it even they want to.
sagpatel is offline  
Old 6th May 2019, 17:33   #11732
BHPian
 
D4d-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Patiala
Posts: 78
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

Question : I know the original screen costs quite a lot. I wanted to ask if Anyone ever tried the ' screen pro ' service where the promise is to repair / replace the screen at our doorstep. The cost is around 3900/- should I go in for this or are there any alternatives that I should try ? I live at Bangalore.

A lot of third party repair shops these days are just changing the cracked glass. The touch digitiser and the LCD underneath remains the same. This can be done if only the glass is broken and rest of the screen is unharmed.

I got the display of my Note 8 changed for 6500 and that was a curved screen. For regular screens, price is approximately half an f that amount.
D4d-maniac is offline  
Old 6th May 2019, 20:24   #11733
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,907
Thanked: 4,198 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My nearly 26-month-old IP7+ has been giving battery problems since Feb and they denied an extended warranty claim because the so-called diagnostics said it passed all tests. Garbage! Real life usage scenario showed the battery discharges at a rate of 5-10% per HOUR. There were times I had to charge the handset twice and even thrice a day when it reached about 30% state of charge.

Decided to get the battery replaced soon. Have ordered it through the AASC and ti should be in stock in a few days. Costs Rs 3500, all-inclusive.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 6th May 2019, 20:32   #11734
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: India
Posts: 9
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Planning a trip to Hong Kong next month. Wanted to know whether iPhone's are cheaper over there compared to India? If so, which one to buy & from where?

I had bought 2 iPhone's (6s) back in March 2016 from Dubai as they were cheaper there by about 12-15k if i remember correctly. They are still working flawlessly till today.
Yes iPhones are cheaper at Hong Kong, I got my 7 At 15k lower 3 year ago, the tax savings.
Check at stores as these days they also run special promotions.
Last month at KL my cousin picked XS Max at the price of XS under promotion.
pf007 is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 23:19   #11735
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CHN
Posts: 55
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I would like to reiterate something here. I am speaking from personal experience. The iPhone XR's screen is neither inferior nor bad. On the contrary it's amazing. Keep it side by side with an iPhone xs Max and you will see minor differences which won't be visible during your day to day usage. The minor difference is just not a good enough trade off for the battery life the XR gains because of the screen.

I completely second this opinion ! Not all bad when I compare to IP X which my wife has! On the contrary IP X has one such a bad battery backup ! She is always into battery saver mode .. she envies my XR and will switch hands soon I guess 😭
vishnana is offline  
Old 8th May 2019, 08:55   #11736
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 597
Thanked: 716 Times
Default The iPhone Thread

Of course the Xr screen isn't bad per se. After all its the same that we have been using in earlier iPhones. But when you get the X/XS in contention it definitely pales in comparison.
Waspune is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 15:33   #11737
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 582
Thanked: 740 Times
Default

After being with Android for sometime, I moved to iPhone . Got a red iPhone XR from flipkart at ₹58k after hdfc 10% instant discount for the 128gb variant. Love this device, but bulky. Apple's iOS is sleek and is very easy to use. The camera is brilliant!! Taking portraits often!! For the price paid I feel finally this iPhone is worth buying at this price point. Regarding display, I use to own a note 9 and I don't see any differences to the naked eyes. Maybe if I place the screen very close to my eye, I can see it. For daily use it's more than enough. Other iPhone XR users, any tips for this phone? Also how's your battery life? Do I need to use low power mode always?
sairamboko is online now  
Old 10th May 2019, 17:13   #11738
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
After being with Android for sometime, I moved to iPhone . Got a red iPhone XR from flipkart at ₹58k after hdfc 10% instant discount for the 128gb variant. Love this device, but bulky. Apple's iOS is sleek and is very easy to use. The camera is brilliant!! Taking portraits often!! For the price paid I feel finally this iPhone is worth buying at this price point. Regarding display, I use to own a note 9 and I don't see any differences to the naked eyes. Maybe if I place the screen very close to my eye, I can see it. For daily use it's more than enough. Other iPhone XR users, any tips for this phone? Also how's your battery life? Do I need to use low power mode always?
Hey. I got the iPhone XR in white with the same deal. I had a few FK vouchers so the final price for the 128 GB version was 53,000. I too am shifting from Android.
My scheduled delivery is tomorrow.
Pancham is offline  
Old 11th May 2019, 09:29   #11739
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 582
Thanked: 740 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hey. I got the iPhone XR in white with the same deal. I had a few FK vouchers so the final price for the 128 GB version was 53,000. I too am shifting from Android.
My scheduled delivery is tomorrow.

Congrats on getting this best!! Get a Ringke clear case from amazon. It's very light and is strong. It has raised edges so god protection The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557547112.741928.jpgHere are some picsName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1557547020.571185.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  291.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1557547067.276822.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  355.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1557547086.167260.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  347.0 KBThe iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557547096.767028.jpg
sairamboko is online now  
Old 11th May 2019, 09:30   #11740
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 597
Thanked: 716 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Do I need to use low power mode always?

Nope. Apple asks you to switch to low power mode when the battery reaches 20% or below and it stays until the battery crosses 80%. You can come out of that mode anytime.
You have the iPhone that betters even some android flagships as far as battery back up is concerned so enjoy it!
Waspune is offline  
Old 11th May 2019, 10:42   #11741
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,908
Thanked: 8,218 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

Similar to condor, even I want to know if I can swap the battery of Iphone 6S under the replacement scheme? If not, what would be the cost of getting a new battery? The maximum capacity of my battery as shown in settings is 77%.
They are charging Rs 3600/-, not sure if taxes are extra or not, for a new battery replacement.

Guys, need some info on this: Since apple had provided the option to replace batteries above the IP6 models, what about the fate of new phones being sold. Like if I go for a new 6s or 7, should I be concerned about the battery issue now?

Last edited by saket77 : 11th May 2019 at 10:55.
saket77 is offline  
Old 11th May 2019, 11:50   #11742
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 484 Times
Default The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Congrats on getting this best!! Get a Ringke clear case from amazon. It's very light and is strong. It has raised edges so god protection Attachment 1875219Here are some picsAttachment 1875215Attachment 1875216Attachment 1875217Attachment 1875218

Hi. I got the Mous carbon fibre case from Amazon. If you get time do check out Mous iPhone XR/XS cases and drop test videos. According to their claims they use original carbon fibre for the cases. It's slightly expensive but I got it on Amazon sale for a decent discount.
Pancham is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 07:57   #11743
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
After being with Android for sometime, I moved to iPhone . Got a red iPhone XR from flipkart at ₹58k after hdfc 10% instant discount for the 128gb variant. Love this device, but bulky. Apple's iOS is sleek and is very easy to use. The camera is brilliant!! Taking portraits often!! For the price paid I feel finally this iPhone is worth buying at this price point. Regarding display, I use to own a note 9 and I don't see any differences to the naked eyes. Maybe if I place the screen very close to my eye, I can see it. For daily use it's more than enough. Other iPhone XR users, any tips for this phone? Also how's your battery life? Do I need to use low power mode always?
Please let me know the battery life compared to Note 9 and your specific use case.

I purchased the Note 9 at launch thinking it will be a battery champ. But the Indian Exynos version is not even an average battery performer. I use single SIM (Airtel), with Bluetooth, AOD, 4G, GPS (location) off. I am within very strong wifi network in home as well as office still get extremely bad battery life. Inspite of having turned off almost all sensors, lift to wake, etc. it still sucks.

my typical use case:
1. 1-1.5 hours of calls
2. Outlook - 15-20 mins
3. BT music - 1 hour (not every day)
4. Whatsapp - 30 mins
4. youtube - 15-30 mins

NO facebook on phone, no video calls, no games.

My wife's LG V30+ (same networks) with smaller battery performs better. She used for 2-2.5 hours of calls, and at-least 2-3 hours of browsing videos /Whatspp etc.

My mom's Samsung A8+ (same networks) needs charge every 2 days, with 2+ hours of youtube and 1 hour of calls and some whatsapp

What is the use to pay a higher price for all sensors and features and not use them in the trade off for battery? Not satisfied at all with Note 9.
hyper-VTEC is offline  
Old 12th May 2019, 09:15   #11744
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,413
Thanked: 2,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Please let me know the battery life compared to Note 9 and your specific use case.



I purchased the Note 9 at launch thinking it will be a battery champ. But the Indian Exynos version is not even an average battery performer. I use single SIM (Airtel), with Bluetooth, AOD, 4G, GPS (location) off. I am within very strong wifi network in home as well as office still get extremely bad battery life. Inspite of having turned off almost all sensors, lift to wake, etc. it still sucks.



my typical use case:

1. 1-1.5 hours of calls

2. Outlook - 15-20 mins

3. BT music - 1 hour (not every day)

4. Whatsapp - 30 mins

4. youtube - 15-30 mins



NO facebook on phone, no video calls, no games.





What is the use to pay a higher price for all sensors and features and not use them in the trade off for battery? Not satisfied at all with Note 9.

I have a very similar usage pattern like yours. And I have been using iPhones for the last 7 years now. Used the 5, 6, 7 and now the XR.
One thing about iPhones is that the battery is quite good when compared to android phones. For my kind of usage, sometimes it lasts more than 1.5 days. Its also because I ensure to close all applications than run in the back ground etc.
At times,when I go to bed in the night, the iPhone has only 3-5% battery, i then shut down all applications, keep the display brightness lowest and voila! The phone lasts thru the night till the alarm goes off in the morning!

So for sure I can vouch for the battery life. And the XR seems much better than the 7 or 8. I do not know if its better than the 8 plus though. My wife had a 8 plus earlier and now post switching to the XR she does feel that 8 plus had better batter life.
motorworks is online now  
Old 12th May 2019, 09:55   #11745
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have a very similar usage pattern like yours. And I have been using iPhones for the last 7 years now. Used the 5, 6, 7 and now the XR.
One thing about iPhones is that the battery is quite good when compared to android phones. For my kind of usage, sometimes it lasts more than 1.5 days. Its also because I ensure to close all applications than run in the back ground etc.
At times,when I go to bed in the night, the iPhone has only 3-5% battery, i then shut down all applications, keep the display brightness lowest and voila! The phone lasts thru the night till the alarm goes off in the morning!

So for sure I can vouch for the battery life. And the XR seems much better than the 7 or 8. I do not know if its better than the 8 plus though. My wife had a 8 plus earlier and now post switching to the XR she does feel that 8 plus had better batter life.
I am re-thinking of moving back to iPhones (used 4, 5s and 6s). I sold the 6s because of the BAD battery life to Note 9. After making a significant investment just under a year on Note 9 it is difficult to invest again in iphone XR or a XS Max from US.
hyper-VTEC is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks