Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2019, 11:15   #11746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Please let me know the battery life compared to Note 9 and your specific use case.
I totally understand and agree with your post. I had the same issue with Note 9. That's why I got tired of android and moved to iPhone. I am still trying to understand how to read the battery stats in iPhone. Need help from the members of the forum to read the stats. However I am sure that it's providing better battery backup than android. Here is a screenshot of the same. I am always on mobile data. With wifi I think iPhone XR will provide at least 10% more backup.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1557639886.663151.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th May 2019 at 17:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2019, 17:43   #11747
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I totally understand and agree with your post. I had the same issue with Note 9. That's why I got tired of android and moved to iPhone. I am still trying to understand how to read the battery stats in iPhone. Need help from the members of the forum to read the stats. However I am sure that it's providing better battery backup than android. Here is a screenshot of the same. I am always on mobile data. With wifi I think iPhone XR will provide at least 10% more backup.Attachment 1875460
Does this mean that in last charge it had 9 hours 43 mins of screen on time That is unheard of.

People using US purchased XS or XS max, please confirm the model no. Would A1921 work in India specially the e-sim.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 12th May 2019 at 17:46.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:29   #11748
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am in the market for a new phone and I've shortlisted the iPhone XR, Google Pixel 3 and the One Plus 7/Pro.

The reason I am posting my query here is because my current daily driver is a 5.5 year old iPhone 5S 16GB which still runs like a charm, probably because I am running iOS 10.3.1 and haven't upgraded to 12/12.3. I am very happy with the phone and iOS. If there wasn't an urgent need for a secondary phone, I wouldn't have bothered looking for one at all.

My usage pattern is very simple - calls, SMS, Whatsapp, watch videos on half a dozen popular platforms, online shopping and click photos/shoot videos. That's about it. I am not a heavy phone user and am not adamant on having the latest and the greatest specs available.

My requirements out of the new phone is -

- should have reliable Hardware and seamless software.
- should last a minimum of 5 years if not more (yes, software updates may not be possible after a certain period but I'm not bothered about it)
- my 5S's paltry 16GB is highly insufficient. For the budget I've set, I can afford a 64GB variant and I'm happy with that.
- should have a good camera.
- Dual SIM is not a requirement, happy to use two separate phones.

Based on these requirements, I have narrowed down on the flagships of the respective brands.

Google Pixel 3 - I have never used an Android phone till date. However, I am not opposed to the idea of buying one now. I hear the OS on the Pixel is the purest form of Android and is as easy/seamless as the iOS. Also, I like the design and the fact that it is not a big phone. Every review I've watched had only good things to say about the camera.

OnePlus 7 Pro - I was looking forward to the OnePlus7 Pro but as I've mentioned, I'm not a fan of big phones at all. At 6.7in, it is BIG which is a deal breaker no matter how mouth watering the specs to price ratio is. Also, I'm not sure if the OnePlus 7/Pro will last for 5/5+ yrs.

iPhone XR - About the XR, well, it's an Apple and I'm aware of its capabilities and shortcomings. The only reason I am pitting this against Android products is that I am not a technical guy when it comes to phones. I need something that is durable, easy to use and can last for at least half a decade.

So, my choices have boiled down to the XR and the Pixel 3. Why have I chosen flagships when I can get a much much cheaper phone for my requirements you ask? Well, in my 15yrs of mobile phone usage, the 5S is my 3rd phone. I like to keep my phones for a long time and the price doesn't matter for me in the long run.

My daily driver will still be the 5S (yes, I have a sentimental value towards it )but as a second phone, could you please suggest between the two?
To give you a perspective about my thoughts as now, it goes like this -

1) Stick with Apple. Only an Apple can replace another Apple. iOS is iOS.

2) Android phones cannot be as bad as the Apple fans make them to be. Flagship Androids should be durable and dependable no? What if you can actually have a better experience with an Android phone?

Last edited by Porschefire : 15th May 2019 at 14:33.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:57   #11749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hi Guys, I am in the market for a new phone and I've shortlisted the iPhone XR, Google Pixel 3 and the One Plus 7/Pro.
Google has paltry after sales support in India. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but the OP is the superior choice here. The Pixels are pure android, but take a little bit of TLC to run for a long time.
Coming to android vs iOS, it is a never ending debate. I can list pros and cons on both sides, but neither is going to give you an answer.

If you do travel globally, nothing beats Apple then. Massive global after sales support.

I think the XR is built to last though, because it comes with a ton of fire power, and a display which will actually not push it to its limits. I was very tempted on getting the XR, but a killer deal on the XS Max swayed my decision.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th May 2019 at 19:59. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 15th May 2019, 19:36   #11750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... My daily driver will still be the 5S (yes, I have a sentimental value towards it )but as a second phone, could you please suggest between the two?

2) Android phones cannot be as bad as the Apple fans make them to be. Flagship Androids should be durable and dependable no? What if you can actually have a better experience with an Android phone?
Contrary to my general hate towards iPhone, you are a perfect candidate for iPhone XR. One who is happy with iOS has no reason to shift to android. Of course, if one is suffocated by numerous controls of iOS, then there is no option. But in your case, seems you have a happy life with iPhones.

So I would suggest iPhone XR to you.

Last edited by ani_meher : 15th May 2019 at 19:37.
Old 15th May 2019, 19:52   #11751
BHPian

Quote:
My daily driver will still be the 5S (yes, I have a sentimental value towards it )but as a second phone, could you please suggest between the two?

I've been an iphone user since the I phone 3G was launched. I've had the Iphone 3G, 5, 6,6s,X. We've also had a couple of android phones (HTC and Moto G2) and I can safely say that I'm never going to touch an Android phone unless I absolutely have to. To me the Android phones still seem like engineering projects and the general look and feel isn't what I want in a phone.

The iphone on the other hand, "just works". The ios is amazing and there is also a lower chance of you getting a malicious app on your phone through the app store as compared to the playstore.

The iphone XR is basically the Iphone XS without the fancy screen. It's got a brilliant camera and is built to last. I don't think any android phone will age as well as the iphone.
Old 15th May 2019, 20:12   #11752
BHPian

Quote:
So, my choices have boiled down to the XR and the Pixel 3.

I would say avoid Pixel 3; the built quality is suspect (at times) and many users have reported the devices slowing down merely 6 months after purchase. Moreover, Pixel 3 support is terrible in India.
As an iOS user, go with Xr without any second thoughts. It has a fantastic screen, great camera and apps run gosh darn well. It is perfect for you. You can make it your daily driver with the other phone as a backup.
Also it has great battery life, better than Xs and Xs Max and will get software support for 5 years minimum.
Old 16th May 2019, 09:48   #11753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Does this mean that in last charge it had 9 hours 43 mins of screen on time That is unheard of.

People using US purchased XS or XS max, please confirm the model no. Would A1921 work in India specially the e-sim.

No, it simply means that he has used the phone with screen on for 9h43min in the last 24hrs
Old 17th May 2019, 08:44   #11754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
If you do travel globally, nothing beats Apple then. Massive global after sales support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
One who is happy with iOS has no reason to shift to android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
The iphone on the other hand, "just works".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Also it has great battery life, better than Xs and Xs Max and will get software support for 5 years minimum.
Thanks a lot guys. I have decided to buy the XR going by your suggestions.
A dozen review videos on YouTube also suggested how XR offers better value than the more expensive XS and could very well be the best iPhone that Apple has built so far. One of the deciding factors for the XR was, I do travel abroad a fair bit, having a good sales support is important and I completely agree that Apple has the most visibility than say, Google.

The dilemma now is, red or black.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:46   #11755
Senior - BHPian

Why go the distance when you have iFIX in Bangalore? I heard they're really good.
https://www.ifixindia.in/

By the way - The original Belkin screen guard for the 'X' that I got from Apple Store, overseas, gave way in no time. I feel cheated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Go for replacement from iFixit. Based in the US
Old 17th May 2019, 11:04   #11756
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
That is a no brainer. Black is too common and boring. Definitely Red
Old 17th May 2019, 14:26   #11757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
That is a no brainer. Black is too common and boring. Definitely Red
To confuse, a counter point
Black is classy... nothing says class like a solid black piece of glass with an apple logo at the back
Old 17th May 2019, 15:09   #11758
BHPian

Quote:

I'd go for Black any day anytime. Goes very well with every occasion and is indeed timeless and classy IMO. The Red is good too, but after the cheap Chinese Oppo's and Vivo's copied the same colour, no thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 15:37   #11759
BHPian

Sorry to divert the topic, why haven't you considered oneplus yet?
Old 17th May 2019, 15:49   #11760
BHPian

I ordered the 128GB Black XR now. Delivery expected on 20th.

Most Viewed