Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2019, 10:50   #11881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I just picked up a X few weeks ago. I am not platform bound and shift between android and apple since my phone usage is minimal. Not a fan of the company but got it for a massive discount so picked it.
If it was my money again, I would go ahead and pick the Xr. The X is going to be 2 models old soon. The Xr will stay relevant longer. Having said that, they are coming with newer models in September if you can wait.
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:23   #11882

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Hey friends, i am looking to migrate from android ( read onel plus 6T) to apple eco system since i have macbook, airpods, ipad already with me. Moreover, i feel ios is a better and more accomplished OS than the free Android.

Request your kind inputs pls. so that i can finalise my purchase.
I generally feel it's not the best idea to buy an iPhone around this time of the year considering the inevitable price drop on the old models when the new model is released next month or so. However this time with the price cuts on the XR in the middle of the cycle and the cash back being offered by banks, Apple may not follow its tired and tested model and we may not see a big drop in prices on the older models.

If I had to choose I'd choose the XR mainly because of the better battery life.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:03   #11883
BHPian

Quote:
Since i shall be buying an iphone for the very first time, i would reauest if you pls could let me finalise the model is should buy. Currently i am in imbroglio between iphone X and XR.

In my opinion, the XR is a more sensible buy at this point over the X.
- You can get a 128 gb for a slight increment over the 64 gb model.
- a 2018 model with second gen face id and newer chip (A12)
- Better battery life
- The screen is fine
- Improved main camera hardware, same as the XS. Plus there is a free app called Focos which lets you shoot portraits of objects on the XR!

The X is smaller, the screen is gorgeous, it feels better to hold and perceived as more premium. That's about it.

This was my conclusion when I was deciding between these two iPhones a couple of weeks ago. However, I didn't go through with it. Since your current 6T is more than sufficient for the time being, would suggest you wait it out for a couple of months till the new iPhones are launched and pick up the XS at a revised price or the new one since you are planning to buy from abroad.

Hope this helps!
Old 6th August 2019, 14:02   #11884
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone still using 4S? The new update 9.3.6 has issues in downloading for my secondary phone. Any first hand update?
Old 7th August 2019, 08:30   #11885
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. Since last night an issue has cropped up on my 2 month old iPhone XR. Whenever I get a call nobody can hear me. But on what's all video calls or even FaceTime audio i am audible to the other person. Anybody has any idea what could have gone wrong ?
Old 7th August 2019, 11:20   #11886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi guys. Since last night an issue has cropped up on my 2 month old iPhone XR. Whenever I get a call nobody can hear me. But on what's all video calls or even FaceTime audio i am audible to the other person. Anybody has any idea what could have gone wrong ?
is it in a specific area or happens just about everywhere.
If it is in specific area then the network tower is to be blamed.
you can try taking out simcard and install again or restart/soft reset your phone. see if that helps. My wife is using a singapore version of iphone XR without any issues.
Old 7th August 2019, 11:58   #11887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
is it in a specific area or happens just about everywhere.

If it is in specific area then the network tower is to be blamed.

you can try taking out simcard and install again or restart/soft reset your phone. see if that helps. My wife is using a singapore version of iphone XR without any issues.

Back to normal. I guess it was a network issue. Surprisingly the calls were getting connected seamlessly. It was only my voice which the other person could not hear. Will wait and watch if it reoccurs.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:20   #11888
BHPian

Quote:
i feel ios is a better and more accomplished OS than the free Android.
Yup. iOS apps are generally very well sorted out and smoother than android.

Quote:
Currently i am in imbroglio between iphone X and XR.
While I understand the confusion, these two aren't even in the same price bracket! X is ~20K more expensive than Xr. And if you are willing to spend that much extra, then check out Xs. Nothing beats it. Nothing!
If however, Xs is out of bounds, go for Xr. It has a newer processor and will be supported for a longer time frame (unless you plan to replace Xr in a couple of years). Of course, you'll lose out on double cameras but Xr has excellent battery life.

Quote:
I am looking forward to buy an international unit (NEW) since i have heard that Apple offers international warranty and the price difference of IN unit vs INT unit is approx.
Apple care is not supported in India even if you buy it from US. A friend was told this in an authorized Apple showroom last year. The price difference between India and US is generally huge when it comes to more expensive models. For example, for Xr you'll spend $749 in US which translates to ~53K INR. Compare that to Xr in India, which is INR 59.9K. Not much of a difference.
However, if you buy a Xs from US from a tax free state, it'll cost you $999 which is ~70k INR a much better bet than INR 99K what in being charged in the market.
If you are going for a unit from US, go for Xs without the Apple care. At mere ~10K INR extra you get a magnificent phone.
If buying from India, go for Xr from an authorized showroom.
Old 8th August 2019, 12:34   #11889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
*SNIP*

Apple care is not supported in India even if you buy it from US. A friend was told this in an authorized Apple showroom last year. *SNIP*
I am afraid you're mistaken. At least for the last three years iPhones have been included under global AppleCare. I know, I have had my Canada-bought iPhone 5 (mine and my wife's) repaired in India under AppleCare bought in Canada along with the phones.

There is no longer any reason to buy from India unless you're getting a comparatively attractive offer.

Cheers
Old 8th August 2019, 12:48   #11890
Senior - BHPian

I was browsing for a good case for my iPhone X and chanced upon some cool car themes. A must for Car fanatics
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-image18.png  

Old 8th August 2019, 13:20   #11891
Senior - BHPian

The one with the VW Camper looks particularly interesting. Almost gives a 3d image.
Old 8th August 2019, 13:48   #11892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I was browsing for a good case for my iPhone X and chanced upon some cool car themes. A must for Car fanatics

These look fantastic. Do you have a purchase link? Thx
Old 8th August 2019, 19:01   #11893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I am afraid you're mistaken. At least for the last three years iPhones have been included under global AppleCare. I know, I have had my Canada-bought iPhone 5 (mine and my wife's) repaired in India under AppleCare bought in Canada along with the phones.

There is no longer any reason to buy from India unless you're getting a comparatively attractive offer.

Cheers
Thanks for the info.
I think the store just pulled a fast one on my friend. This was precisely the reason I did not get Apple Care for my Xs. Nevertheless, thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 19:31   #11894
Distinguished - BHPian

I am an Android person, but my car only supports Apple CarPlay and not Android auto. Hence, purely for the purpose of using google maps with live traffic updates, what's the cheapest Apple device/phone I can buy?
Old 8th August 2019, 19:54   #11895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am an Android person, but my car only supports Apple CarPlay and not Android auto. Hence, purely for the purpose of using google maps with live traffic updates, what's the cheapest Apple device/phone I can buy?
Surprisingly, they have stopped the 6s along with the SE. The SE was the cheapest in the line up but is no longer available new. The range now starts with iPhone 7 32 GB costing around 36-39k depending on offers.

Most Viewed