Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 11:25   #11911
Distinguished - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I had my IP7+ battery replaced in May and its down to 99% in exactly 3 months. I am quite surprised just as you are.

I have similar experience with my iPhone 7. The battery was replaced about just over a year ago. I am a heavy user, but I am down to 90% already.

So the new battery is definitely going down hill faster than the original. Interestingly, mine was replaced free of charge by Apple. It was part of a batch of dodgy batteries that made it into a certain batch of iPhones. i bought the iPhone whilst still in India and Apple Netherlands replaced it free of charge almost four years later.

You would think that a brand new Apple replacement would work better than a dodgy Apple original. But it does not.

I am set for a business trip to the USA. Which usually means stacking up on Apple goodies! Not quite sure as they will be introducing new iPhones in October. The 8 series does look attractive in terms of battery life. Not sure I can be bothered about some of the new features coming.

We will see, still a few weeks to think about it.
Jeroen
Jeroen
Old 21st August 2019, 11:31   #11912
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I have a 4S. Yesterday, I tried installing this update and it was successfully done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Went home and updated my 4S to 9.3.6 (which seems to be the last update for the 4S) and it went off well.
After much difficulty I was able to update to 9.3.6 today. Was able to download over wifi successfully yesterday after trying for so many days. And still it wasn't installing- kept waiting. Again tried a couple of times in the morning and finally it got updated. Phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have been using a iPhone XR for about 10 months now, a little surprised to see that the battery health is already showing at 94%
I got my 6S as recent as May this year. The battery is down to 95% already. Back up is not somethign to mention about. When my 4S was new, some 5 years ago, the back up was much much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
They don't make it the way they used to anymore. 4S was the last, unbeatable phone they made (still got it). But till 6S, it was still okay, I would say. Later on, it started taking the android phone components, benefitting from low prices. Loyalists are sticking on for iOS. The greedy corporation needs to see a renaissance! 5G phones will be out in September, need to see those.
So true! Love the form factor of 4S. Build was top notch too. I got the new iPhone only because I feel trapped in the iOS eco system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I don't think we should be much concerned about the % till it goes below 90% which might not happen for at least 1.5 years if used normally.
The way my battery is performing, I think it will be well before 1.5 year. It is already down to 95% in 4 months.

Quote:
My usage pattern is light to moderate with good battery care practices.
Can you share some tips on how to care for these lithium ion batteries? May help us squeeze a little more life out of them.

Regards,
Saket
Old 21st August 2019, 11:56   #11913
Senior - BHPian

I will keep an eye on the battery of my XR. I got mine in May this year and the battery still stands at 100%. I am a moderate to heavy user with around 5-6 hours of screen time every day.

My mother is a light user and her IP 6 stands at 95% after 3.5 years of usage. I still feel it depends on the usage and how we maintain the battery.
Old 21st August 2019, 20:11   #11914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can you share some tips on how to care for these lithium ion batteries? May help us squeeze a little more life out of them.
Try and keep 'em cool (I even keep the phone which is in a Spigen case on a wet handkerchief during the 40 deg C summer, yeah I know I am stupid), maintain charge level between 40-80%. Avoid deep discharges to <20%, and no 0% discharges more frequently than once in 4 months. The 0% or "use till auto shut off" is primarily to calibrate the battery and charging circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have similar experience with my iPhone 7. The battery was replaced about just over a year ago. I am a heavy user, but I am down to 90% already.
I get the feeling new handsets have freshly manufactured batteries.

Given the nature of li-ion they deteriorate right after assembly. The older the replacement battery (shelf life is also a factor) the lower its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My mother is a light user and her IP 6 stands at 95% after 3.5 years of usage. I still feel it depends on the usage and how we maintain the battery.
Yes, battery life depends on the # of charge/discharge cycles, temperature, age among other factors
Old 21st August 2019, 20:58   #11915
Senior - BHPian

While on the topic of the battery in the newer iPhones, have the kind of usage had an impact? For sure we are using more apps, spending more time on the phone than ever before. In my case, I have always had 2 iPhones, one for office and the other personal. But post buying the iPhone XR I have moved to dual sim, so all things happen in one phone.
I still feel the iPhones are a far better lot than the android counter parts. At times I go to bed with less than 5% battery and the phone remains intact when I wake up, provided I turn off wifi and also turn on battery saver.
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:58   #11916
BHPian

Regarding this battery discussion, I would like to share my 2 cents. Please ignore it. It keeps changing due to various factors. The value can decrease or increase in some cases. When one should really give attention is when it says battery fault, visit service center or some service message. Otherwise this is just a number. Dont bother about it too much.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:28   #11917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had my IP7+ battery replaced in May and its down to 99% in exactly 3 months. I am quite surprised just as you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very surprising! I got the battery on my 6 changed about a year back and it's at 95% now.

Would it have something to do with how the OS and apps are designed/updated (keeping a certain processor capability in mind). The chips on the 6/7 are at least three-four generations old than the current.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:43   #11918
Team-BHP Support

Battery life in Li ion cells will come down with each charge cycle. Now the funny thing about charge cycle is not how many times you charge, it is actually how much battery is consumed over a period of time. So it is best to keep it charged as much as possible. My 1 year old office MBA has just 21 cycle counts

Some useful tips https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fi...-battery-life/

But on the other hand eventually the count will have an impact on max capacity (which is normal). Earlier there was no way to monitor this, apart from the user experiencing lesser battery time. With the battery monitor you are able to see how this deterioration is impacting. So it is normal and just keep using the phone till you get a service notification.

And this phenomenon is for all Li ion devices.

Edit: Another good practice is use apple OE cables and chargers, or at least certified ones. That ensures the charging parameters does not cause over heating and all, also controls the charging modulation as per the device.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd August 2019 at 10:54.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:48   #11919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My usage pattern is light to moderate with good battery care practices. I need this handset to work till end 2020 which is when I expect to upgrade to a new model. This drop in capacity makes me wonder if the battery will pull on for another 18 months.
My IP8+ is down to 94% in ten months. Given the bigger battery capacity of the + versions, I have not charged it frequently and once a day works perfectly for me, and I end up with 15-20% at the end of the day when I charge it. I am not sure if this deterioration is normal or no.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:21   #11920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
maintain charge level between 40-80%. Avoid deep discharges to <20%, and no 0% discharges more frequently than once in 4 months. The 0% or "use till auto shut off" is primarily to calibrate the battery and charging circuit.

battery life depends on the # of charge/discharge cycles, temperature, age among other factors
Thanks! Will try to maintain the charge level in this range. And you are right about the calibration thing which resets the estimate of battery left. I practice it with my macbook too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Battery life in Li ion cells will come down with each charge cycle. Now the funny thing about charge cycle is not how many times you charge, it is actually how much battery is consumed over a period of time.
True. According to Apple, it doesn't matter how many times you charge the battery; its about battery capacity and consumption. For eg. a 1400mAH will have one cycle complete when the phone consumes all 1400mAH. It doesn't matter how many times you charged in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Edit: Another good practice is use apple OE cables and chargers, or at least certified ones. That ensures the charging parameters does not cause over heating and all, also controls the charging modulation as per the device.
Since I carry my old 4S too, I carry the 4S charger only for the newer 6S too. I only swap the cables to charge both phones through the same 4S charger. I believe both 4S & 6S chargers are rated at 1A. Will cross check.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd August 2019 at 11:22.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:48   #11921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Would it have something to do with how the OS and apps are designed/updated (keeping a certain processor capability in mind). The chips on the 6/7 are at least three-four generations old than the current.
I really do not know, but it does seem plausible. We tend to use more apps, more data over time. Part of it is us making more use of new functionality and apps, and part might come from how the internal workings of the OS and apps are being updated, or outdated if you like.

Jeroen
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:44   #11922
BHPian

Is there a way to check the battery health of an iPhone 5S?
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:51   #11923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Is there a way to check the battery health of an iPhone 5S?

Yes. If it is upgraded to ios 12 then you can.
Settings -> Battery -> Health
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:38   #11924
BHPian

I am unable to backup my father's iPhone to his iCloud account.
It always says that there isn't enough storage on the cloud storage left, even though only 200MB has been currently used ( It's from data from the iPad ).

I just want to backup dad's contacts on the cloud storage, which I don't think shall exceed 4 GB for just 1000 contacts.

Anyone facing/faced a similar problem?
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:49   #11925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I just want to backup dad's contacts on the cloud storage, which I don't think shall exceed 4 GB for just 1000 contacts.

Anyone facing/faced a similar problem?
Most likely you are trying to back up without disabling the media content, for this you need to get into iCloud settings, and disable photos. Once done it should work.

Most Viewed