Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 10:29   #11986
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
This! For the iphone 11, there's no 128GB version in India. Straight to 256 and that costs around 5k more which is reasonable! The prices and version of the pro makes it more unlikable! The iphone 11 and the XR are the real iphones for India this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
128 GB seems to be offered. Screenshot from Apple India website.
So looks like there is a mistake in pricing. There is no 512GB iphone 11. Only Pro gets 512GB.

The 69,900 is for the 128GB and 79,900 is for 256GB.

When I saw 5K for 256GB I was pleasantly surprised vs the 14K more for Pro 256GB. Short lived.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:55   #11987
BHPian

So I have an iphone 6s plus which is now almost 4 years old. Thinking of upgrading to iphone 11 pro or 11 pro max. I will be getting it from USA if at all i decide to buy. Not much inclined towards iphone 11 as i would like to try the OLED screen this time not that the LCD on the 11 will be bad, my wife has iphone XR and the screen is perfectly fine untill you compare it with iphone X or XS's screen side by side.

What do you think, any opinions? Should i try the upcoming pixel 4 or stick to iphone. really confused.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:54   #11988
Distinguished - BHPian

Please help me understand what is the real advantage of the Pro’s third camera over the two camera of the 11?

They both seem to have ultra wide zoom so in practical usage what’s the advantage in the pro?
Old 11th September 2019, 11:57   #11989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
What do you think, any opinions? Should i try the upcoming pixel 4 or stick to iphone. really confused.

Do you wish to stay in the Apple ecosystem? If yes, going for an iPhone is a no-brainer. 11 pro is pretty good, though 11 is no slouch either (since you want an OLED, go for 11 pro).

As for pixel devices, they have faced quality issues right out of the bat and they do tend to get slower progressively. If you are the kind of person who changes his phone pretty frequently, go for a pixel. If you wish to keep your phone for at least 3-5 years, go for an iPhone.

Also, pixel phones have much better cameras historically (though we need to compare 4XL to 11pros), but Apple ecosystem is better in overall experience.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:00   #11990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Please help me understand what is the real advantage of the Pro’s third camera over the two camera of the 11?

They both seem to have ultra wide zoom so in practical usage what’s the advantage in the pro?
11 pro phones have telephoto lens as well which will help you zoom in. Also, in the upcoming months pro phones will have "Deep Fusion". From Schiller's comment

Quote:
Specifically for the iPhone 11 Pro, Phil Schiller previewed an upcoming Deep Fusion feature that analyzes 9 photos (including one long-exposure shot) taken in sequence. The device’s neural engine then analyzes the collection to create an optimal end photo that borrows the best elements of each image. Schiller said it was “computational photography mad science.” Deep Fusion is coming in the fall.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:15   #11991
Distinguished - BHPian

The best feature addition from yesterday was that the new iPad pro now comes with a USB-C type connector. Pen drives, SD cards can be used easily. The 3rd lens added to the camera is the next best thing that I saw yesterday. nothing else was really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So the iPhone XR prices starting at 50K is almost at par with the US prices. That's good.
But isn't that the previous generation iPhone? Good thing is when the current models are priced at par with US. $1449 vs ₹1,41,900 for the top variant...That is IMO cruel on the second biggest smartphone market in the world.

Quote:
Irrespective of what Apple launches, have you seen the amount effort that goes into these events, the quality of presentations and presenters. I watch them not just for the gadget but also for learning and improving my own presentation skills.
Presentation is good no doubt. I just loved the product videos. You can watch it for anything and you can Like the presentation but in the end you pay for the product isn't it?

Quote:
Also, people comparing Apple launches to Polo launch events. Isn't that a bit too cruel?
I felt that it was the perfect analogy (humour added to it of course)
Quote:
Moreover, the quality of Apple phones is already so good, already so fast, it is really difficult to better the preceding iterations every single year. So this is bound to happen, that is, us getting the similar phones year after year with minute changes.

Even the batteries in XR have been improved since last year. This year may not be very good for Apple but I guess this is how the smartphone market is going to be.
It's the same with Polo, it is already a good vehicle in it's segment with frequent feature additions. But the differences between the model generations are hardly anything and the price increase is not inline with the updates.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:53   #11992
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Had bought my iPhone 6s 64gb from Dubai back in 2016 for around 47k (after converting from AED). The difference was around 12-15k compared to prices in India (not including online deals)!

Was planning to buy the XR sometime next year. I guess looking at the reduced prices, it wouldn't make sense to buy it from abroad, would it? I read somewhere that the XR is assembled in India & that seems to be the only affordable option!
Old 11th September 2019, 13:17   #11993
BHPian

Quote:
So the iPhone XR prices starting at 50K is almost at par with the US prices. That's good.

XR 64GB, in India starts at 49,900 INR and in USA at 599 USD. There is differential pricing yet.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:49   #11994
BHPian

"NOTCH meri jaan hoke magan tu
chhod ke saare kintu parantu"

If the reports of no notch iphone screens for 2020 are true then 2020 is the year to get one if people are interested in an iphone. We still need to wait for reviews and comparisons to see if Apple has beaten Google in the photography department and if the claimed Night mode is as good as Pixel if not better. Camera plays a major reason for people to decide in today's world. Apple should have atleast given default base storage of 128GB for the price they sell. End of day should one pay over a lakh for an Iphone?
Old 11th September 2019, 15:01   #11995
BHPian

I have never been an Apple fan. I always found them overpriced for the value they offer. In phones, I feel Iphone 6 onward the phones are grossly overpriced for what they are. I fail to understand why even in 2019 Apple still is selling phones with a LCD screen and a ugly large notch, when even 20k phones these days come with Super AMOLED screen and a full screen display. From the specs, I guess there is nothing apart from brand pull that will make people buy this phone.
Old 11th September 2019, 15:38   #11996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
XR 64GB, in India starts at 49,900 INR and in USA at 599 USD. There is differential pricing yet.
Which is why I said 'almost'.

Its USD 599+Taxes = which will be around USD 640 depending on the state you are in. So thats a 3-4K difference which is ok in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But isn't that the previous generation iPhone? Good thing is when the current models are priced at par with US. $1449 vs ₹1,41,900 for the top variant...That is IMO cruel on the second biggest smartphone market in the world.
This extreme pricing in India is something that I dont understand. I was happy that iPhone Xs did not do well in India and I thought this would make them look at the prices but nope. They dont seem to care. Lets hope the prices will come down when they open their retail stores in India.

P.S: IPad Pro has been getting the USB C port since last year.

For now, I am happy with my white iPhone XR. Only wish I got a jhataak colour instead.
Old 11th September 2019, 15:53   #11997
BHPian

Quote:
Which is why I said 'almost'.
True that. The stores will sell it discounted further with offers, in India.

Quote:
Lets hope the prices will come down when they open their retail stores in India.
Manufacturing in India, should bring the costs down.

Quote:
Only wish I got a jhataak colour instead.
Thank your stars you didn't get one. Those feel good initially and then you regret . Buy colourful cases and make your phone jhatak'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
From the specs, I guess there is nothing apart from brand pull that will make people buy this phone.
I don't think most of the iPhone users are so desperate as their Android counterparts, about the 'specs' of an iPhone. It is Android OS that is a system hog, which is why the highly specced hardware is essential. The iphone 6s works equally efficient as an iPhone XS on iOs12. The advertised specs by Apple are just a marketing gimmick for Android users to do some comparos.
That being said, it is the draw of a clean and mindless OS that pulls & retains majority of the users towards iOs. Expensive or not, is a personal perception. I don't mind paying what is asked for, for iOs devices.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 11th September 2019 at 15:55.
Old 11th September 2019, 16:39   #11998
BHPian

Quote:
That being said, it is the draw of a clean and mindless OS that pulls & retains majority of the users towards iOs. Expensive or not, is a personal perception. I don't mind paying what is asked for, for iOs devices.
I am neither a gamer nor a heavy user, so specs are really not something that I bother much about. Hardware and OS aside, in terms of design what stops Apple from not doing away with the ugly notch is beyond me, when even phones one tenth the price have a full screen display. And an LCD in 2019??
Old 11th September 2019, 17:19   #11999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
I am neither a gamer nor a heavy user, so specs are really not something that I bother much about. Hardware and OS aside, in terms of design what stops Apple from not doing away with the ugly notch is beyond me, when even phones one tenth the price have a full screen display. And an LCD in 2019??

Can't argue with you about the notch but have you used the iPhone XR with the LCD screen. I assume you have not. The LCD screen is really good and you don't really notice the difference.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:28   #12000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The LCD screen is really good and you don't really notice the difference.
My office junior has a Xr. And I must say, the screen is dismissal to say the least. Lacks sharpness and we all know how the blacks look on LCD. And the difference in quality is easily noticeable in comparisons.

One can give other points that work in favor of the Xr, but its screen is not one of them.

Most Viewed