Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 18:16   #12166
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Seek your guidance, as I intend to do the same.
OLX is a good place to start with, just ensure you meet and check in detail before agreeing on price.

Finally imagine the reseller call centre contacts me from Delhi, asking if I have purchased the iPhone 11 pro?! Almost a week late and after almost all stocks have vanished they call, what's the point LOL. High time apple extends the apple store to India, would be so much hassle free.

I feel this was the most pathetic "new device launch campaign" ever done by apple here in India,
Old 25th September 2019, 19:16   #12167
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody recommend a good transparent case for iphone X. I am looking at this spigen clear case. Any other options? Would be helpful if it supports wireless charging.

Quote:
Seek your guidance, as I intend to do the same. You bought it online or from a shop. India or Outside India. And the price range( here or PM), if you don't mind sharing.
Hi Ritesh, I bought it from ebay UK and paid a price of 410 gbp for a 256 gb model. It was through auction/bid and I felt the price was worth as there is not even a single scratch on the phone.

I feel in India OLX would be a good bet but finding an honest seller and a good phone is taxing.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 25th September 2019 at 19:25.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:01   #12168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
4. Phone network not catching signal in basements like metro. Earlier there used to be at least 1 bar But now nothing.
Did you get a carrier update after the iOS 13 update? I'm on Airtel and I got a carrier update soon after I upgraded to iOS 13. Don't see much difference, but not experiencing what you've mentioned.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:49   #12169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OLX is a good place to start with, just ensure you meet and check in detail before agreeing on price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I feel in India OLX would be a good bet but finding an honest seller and a good phone is taxing.

Yes, Indeed I've started my search on OLX,since last 15 days and it is much better than the content on Quikr and Facebook Marketplace. Though all 3 are infested with Local dealers hawking their wares. I did find one individual willing and realistic about the price, but went silent, when I gave him my number to take it further on WA.
The problem I noticed is that all sellers are considering their own purchase price and expecting resale amounts, which are higher than buying a brand new imported phone of the same specs.

Just for info. see the parallel import prices I received from an online dealer. If a new X256 is available for 55,500, then 35-40 for a used one seems fair, considering no warranty and risk of receiving a damaged product.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_2669.png  

Last edited by riteshritesh : 26th September 2019 at 12:54.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:15   #12170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Did you get a carrier update after the iOS 13 update? I'm on Airtel and I got a carrier update soon after I upgraded to iOS 13. Don't see much difference, but not experiencing what you've mentioned.
Hi!
Can you please share more about this carrier update? I am also on Airtel but haven't received any such update apparently. I am also noticing weaker signals after 13.1

Regards,
Saket
Old 26th September 2019, 13:18   #12171
BHPian

Settings>General> About> Network Provider ( or IMS status if displayed). You should see Airtel and some number. Check with fellow Airtel users to see if that is the latest. Tapping a couple of times, should initiate an update, if not upto the latest.
I am on Vodafone and it shows Vodafone 38.0
Old 26th September 2019, 13:27   #12172
BHPian

Quote:
Settings>General> About> Network Provider ( or IMS status if displayed).
I am on Vodafone and it shows Vodafone 38.0
ios 13.1, iphone xsmax, airtel version 38.0.1.

Weirdly number is similar to that of vodafone. In order to push carrier update, try removing the sim card, shutting the phone down, reinserting the sim and restarting. Please do not, removal and reinserting the sim will resulting in international sms charge for activation of imessage/facetime.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:38   #12173
Distinguished - BHPian

38.0.1 here too. On 6S.

The battery back up has surely improved after updating to 13.1. I don't have too many files on my phone, so this is not just about indexing.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:43   #12174
BHPian

Quote:
Battery > Battery Health > Optimised battery charging (toggle)
Thank you. I checked there, and the setting is already on. I have not noticed anything different about the way my phone charges. I do not know how this setting actually manifests itself - I mean, what should I be seeing now that I did not see in earlier versions of iOS?

Quote:
Simply put it is like creating steps for automation, just follow the steps to create a short cut.

egs- New short cut > Add action > call xyzzy > click on ... which will show add to home screen option. You can name it etc.

Once this is done, it will show up just like a new app, drag it to wherever you want. So next time you just click that shortcut to call xyzzy.
Thank you, I now am beginning to get the picture of how useful this can be

Now you have unleashed a monster. What I am looking to do is as follows:

I do not want WhatsApp to be using location services normally. However, when I want to either share live location for a certain time, or when I want to send my location to someone for use in Google Maps, WhatsApp requires location services to be turned on.

I want to create two shortcuts that i can run by voice command - one to turn off Location Services for WhatsApp (change the setting to "never"), and one to turn location services on for WhatsApp (change the setting to "while using the app" or "always").

So, what I would do is keep location services set to Never, and when I need it command Siri to turn it on, send my location, and then command Siri to turn it off.

Not having a background in coding or scripting, do you think shti is something I could do relatively easily?

If there is another section of Team-BHP that I should be posting this in, please let me know and I shall post it there instead.

Thanks and cheers
Old 26th September 2019, 14:27   #12175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can somebody recommend a good transparent case for iphone X.
This one I have used and is good if you want minimal size, max protection and show the OE body. Only downside it will get brownish over a period of time

https://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/...l#.XYx8RS2B3OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
ios 13.1, iphone xsmax, airtel version 38.0.1.
I had received the update as soon as I did the 13 OS update, through iTunes. Version is same and did not find any difference in reception before and after. Usual Airtel coverage.
Old 26th September 2019, 15:36   #12176
BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody recommend a good transparent case for iphone X. I am looking at this spigen clear case. Any other options? Would be helpful if it supports wireless charging.
Regarding cases, Spigen or Ringke are the regulars to show off your beauty, but as Jaggu mentioned, the clear cases turn yellow. If you are okay with Aliexpress, this is something that I liked. Link
Original case was introduced by a store name Pilobelots, but a lot have copied.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 26th September 2019 at 15:37.
Old 26th September 2019, 16:43   #12177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This one I have used and is good if you want minimal size, max protection and show the OE body. Only downside it will get brownish over a period of time

https://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/...l#.XYx8RS2B3OQ
Quote:
Regarding cases, Spigen or Ringke are the regulars to show off your beauty, but as Jaggu mentioned, the clear cases turn yellow. If you are okay with Aliexpress, this is something that I liked. Link
Original case was introduced by a store name Pilobelots, but a lot have copied.
Thanks guys. I went with this one, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Good reviews, its also mentioned that there is no yellowing later, not too bulky plus supports wireless charging.
Old 26th September 2019, 17:26   #12178
BHPian

For those worried:

On my 30 month old iPhone 7 iOS 13.1 battery back up is very strong. I believe it is even better than iOS 12.4.1. (I skipped 13.0)
To my understanding, the network quality in iOS 13 is not poor. However, iOS's internal calibration on what it calls 3 bars or 4 bars has been altered. The new software is conservative. I now consistently see a bar less than 12.4.1 with the same data speeds and reception.
I am also on AirTel 38.0.1 and I received no Carrier update.
Old 27th September 2019, 00:07   #12179
Senior - BHPian

Please help!

This is regarding my Wife's 8 plus, there is an issue which did not get resolved over a call with Apple support for more than an hour. I am going to the service center tomorrow as per their instructions. It's to be seen whether a different computer can detect the phone, we will go from there.The phone is out of warranty, purchased in January 2018.

I wanted to backup the phone before upgrading to 13.1, after connecting to iTunes, the phone is not getting recognized. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but still the issue persists. A settings reset on the phone also did not work. No phone is getting detected/shown thru device manager on the laptop too. Everything was working fine on the same laptop a month or so ago, windows and iTunes have the current update.

Would it be prudent/the right thing to do, to first take a backup and then upgrade to 13.1? Or, is it safe from the data perspective to upgrade over wifi without bothering about a backup. My Wife has over 9 thousand photos/videos.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 27th September 2019, 07:13   #12180
BHPian

If photo and video are the prime concern please back it up on Google photos as well. Even otherwise it is always better to have a regular back up on Google or onedrive. Later do a hard reset on the phone and then give a try. And have you tried iCloud backup? That also works very well and you don't need itunes in that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks