Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 09:34   #12331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Update to the latest release of 13.1.3 which fixes this issue.

I updated yesterday and phone seems to work much faster and my battery drain seems to have been curbed
Thanks for that. Didn't notice the latest update.
I installed it now, will wait and watch.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:41   #12332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

Do you think this might work?

This item will not serve the purpose.
Nope.

This is the same. Its converting Digital to Analog, and also tapping into a digital signal for USB out.

You need Analog to Digital Converter.

If you really want to you your lightning earphones with a Mac, why not USB-C to lightning converter?

Example
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-USB-C-L.../dp/B07R6MKJZH

The iPhone Thread-51qcwaht6cl._ac_sl1500_.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th October 2019 at 09:53.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:06   #12333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My mother's 7 was dropped and the screen shattered - The apple service center quoted 18k for the new screen. Hence, we decided to junk the phone and get a new one, probably an 8 since she doesnt have the necessity or interest to buy the flagship. Did not want to get it done at a third party center since I dont believe anyone gets access to genuine replacement screens and no matter what you do, you still get an aftermarket screen which will never come close to the OE display.

If your phone is new, then consider getting it replaced with the original else if its quite old, then I would suggest a replacement.
I have a SE and the screen has been replaced thrice - twice with charge and once for free as it was within 2 days of the first replacement.

2 weeks back I dropped my phone and the display showed multiple vertical lines with no touch response. I took it to Apple A$$ and they quoted 16k for screen replacement I checked here only to know the price and it was as expected.

I then went back to the same guy who replaced the screen earlier and got it replaced for 2.8k. This was the 2nd time (technically 3rd time) the screen was replaced by these guys and I see no difference whatsoever in touch feedback or colour display. So by all means you can go to a 3rd party - only make sure they have some credibility. There are shops where you can get the screen replaced for as low as 1k but you can guess the quality.
Old 17th October 2019, 20:32   #12334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I checked with ifixit on a query and was told they do NOT replace only the glass.
===
They also mentioned that if i need to have the sealant for the water resistance, i have to take it to their Indiranagar store else they can come home and fix it without the sealant!
Yes they do replace the whole module, and it is aftermarket and quality is ok. And please get it done with the water sealant. How much are they quoting?
Old 18th October 2019, 11:01   #12335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes they do replace the whole module, and it is aftermarket and quality is ok. And please get it done with the water sealant. How much are they quoting?
Well they are quoting 5.9K and I have to take the device to their Indiranagar workshop if I need the water sealant done, else they are ready to come home and do it.

Now I happened to talk to iService at Jayanagat 4T block and they quoted 9k for the premium display with a year warranty. They also have one for 5k.

Last edited by sumathindra : 18th October 2019 at 11:07. Reason: edits
Old 18th October 2019, 11:54   #12336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well they are quoting 5.9K and I have to take the device to their Indiranagar workshop if I need the water sealant done, else they are ready to come home and do it.

Now I happened to talk to iService at Jayanagat 4T block and they quoted 9k for the premium display with a year warranty. They also have one for 5k.
If you are ok with pricing go with premium one, am aware of different quality of display available. Premiums are mostly OE supplier sourced. At the end of the day, your call based on how long you would be keeping the device.
Old 18th October 2019, 15:36   #12337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you are ok with pricing go with premium one, am aware of different quality of display available. Premiums are mostly OE supplier sourced. At the end of the day, your call based on how long you would be keeping the device.
I did go for the premium one (iService @ Jayanagar) and got the water sealant also done included in the 9k cost. He gave the tempered glass for free! Overall I liked the professionalism. These guys are quite good and very transparent and the whole procedure was done in front of me under an hour. Warranty for a year provided there is no physical or water damage!

I am satisfied with the outcome and the phone being only 2 years old now and still in mint condition, I can pull it along for the next 2 for sure...One big learning from this entire episode, go for a good case which will protect the phone especially the glass! It is worth it.

Last edited by sumathindra : 18th October 2019 at 15:40. Reason: edits
Old 19th October 2019, 11:03   #12338
Senior - BHPian

iPhone 11 Pro Max camera just rocks: Phonenix Market City, Chennai. Taken yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-topaz-688422-copy.jpg  

Old 19th October 2019, 13:02   #12339
Senior - BHPian

You are certainly an early adopter. Congrats. Visual looks stunning. I'm tired of the same old iPhone design, so will change when that happens. Else I have not missed upgrading, a single year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
iPhone 11 Pro Max camera just rocks: Phonenix Market City, Chennai. Taken yesterday.
Old 19th October 2019, 17:33   #12340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You are certainly an early adopter. Congrats. Visual looks stunning. I'm tired of the same old iPhone design, so will change when that happens. Else I have not missed upgrading, a single year.
Thank you, Sebring, gave it a miss last year. Love the convenience of a dual SIM (Android users must laughing), camera is just stunning. Handed my daughter my two year old iPhone X. Night mode is great.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_68452.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th October 2019 at 17:41.
Old 19th October 2019, 19:19   #12341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
So true. The night mode is insane. These were shots taken post 10pm.

The iPhone Thread-7b9c61e931834d60aa072d2a41f78535.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_0302.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_0319.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_0405.jpg
Old 20th October 2019, 02:56   #12342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Guys, So, what do you think about pixel 4 and 4XL?
My cousin is coming to india from USA and there is $100 amazon gift card deal as a part of pre-order offer. I am more inclined towards the larger pixel because of larger battery.
Are you sure Pixel 4 is going to work in India? I read in someplaces that they have a different band and it won’t be launched in India. Bit surprised as India should be a big market for them.

Link to news:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/tech/...gle/index.html
Old 21st October 2019, 16:53   #12343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Are you sure Pixel 4 is going to work in India? I read in someplaces that they have a different band and it won’t be launched in India. Bit surprised as India should be a big market for them.

Link to news:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/tech/...gle/index.html
Pixel 4 needs 60Ghz, for the mini radar it has, to get the hand gesture control to work. Google don't have license to use 60Ghz spectrum in india, apparentely.
Old 21st October 2019, 18:52   #12344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Are you sure Pixel 4 is going to work in India?
It will not work in india and I am afraid the face unlock also may not work. So can not take chance. I still have not decided what to buy.
I am getting note 10 (not the plus ) for about $720, the model number is SM-N9700 DS so it should work in india. I would have loved to continue with ios but iphone 11's LCD screen is what making me think again and again.
other option for me is oneplus 7 pro or 7T (7T pro does not make sense to me). iphone 11 pro with a price tag of $1150 for 256gb variant is simply just too much money for me to spend on a phone.
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:36   #12345
BHPian

Well, if you want a great camera, then rule the OnePlus 7T and its siblings out. Its not a patch even on my 2017 Huawei Mate 10 Pro.

The Iphone 11 should be good enough, if you don't mind the screen. I hate the LCD screen, and last used it on a iPhone 8plus, after having used much better screens all through the last 4-5 years.

Most Viewed